03-Nov-08: Detroit - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 05-Jul]

kspillers2

Coldplay Traveler
Coldplayer
Last pics are of adorable Chrissy....who sang a special little line to me and made MY Coldplaying year !!!!!

StephBerryman

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
omg---this is a great story guys! i'm so happy for my fellow coldplayers.

I have got to start planning for the 2nd leg of the tour. I need your advice though, Mel and Lori. you guys are pros! :D

melanieau

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
HOLY SHIT! Kelly - those look like professional pics :stunned:

AWESOME!

kspillers2

Coldplay Traveler
Coldplayer
Thanks Mel, I'm sure you and your posse are ready to go get some more good JONNY LOVE and are going to have an awesome time with Oxfam too. Looking forward to some info on the 2nd leg!!!

cold_love23

Lauren
Coldplayer
AMEN SISTER!!!!!!:D
--next concert I go to, whenever that may be, I WILL (pun intended) have good front-row seats--once you go there, you are spoiled and can never go back hehe.
--they need to move the damn drums in front of stage!:veryangry2: how are we supposed to get a good view of Will with Chrissy's piano blocking! (i luv Chris, but stop hogging up the front damnit! hehe),<whine> So VLV needs to always be in the setlist now! hehe
yay! and yes I know I seriously wish that they would just have Will front and center at all times. When I went, I had a great 2nd row view of the ramp, but Jonny was blocking Will most of the time. :cry:

OK cold_love, this is the best I've got....even from the front, Will is a loooong way back there...

thanks so much!! and yes I know Will is very far back, it's not fair to Will lovers. but thanks for these pics. great quality

melanieau

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Best Birthday Ever
Part 7

I actually really enjoyed Speed of Sound...the magic balls looked really cool changing colors. Then after SOS we were sure they were going right into COL but Chris asked for the lights to come up. He said hello to the crowd. At some point (was it before this? help me out Lori and Kelly) he said the thing about it being Jonny's daughter's (Violet's) first birthday...was that right at the beginning?? Anyway, he was talking and saying hello and the lights were up so I held up my birthday banner and he looked right at me and pointed his finger at my banner and said "Happy Birthday." I mouthed a thank you to him and looked directly over at Jonny (for some reason) who also had a big grin plastered on his face. I had NO EXPECTATION he would say anything...it was really so I could try to get them to play Shiver! HA! No Shiver, but I'll take the birthday wishes.:D

Clearly, during COL I was out of my mind. I could see what Lori was filming next to me and that didn't help with the excitement level.:wink3: COL is great live and why they didn't have it on the setlist from the beginning is beyond my comprehension.

Chinese Sleep Chant was very high energy. Again, Jonny was giving it everything he had. Then 42, which is probably my favorite live performance, just blew me away. Chris was spastic dancing. Jonny was dancing and rocking out all over the place. Will was beating the shit out of his drums. Guy - who I could barely see from where I was - was definitely in the groove - swaying pretty good as he played.:cool:

Fix You was good. Chris was so cute leaning down over his piano with this look on his face like - come on guys you gotta sing this next part really loud. We were all singing out as loud as we could but I really have no idea how it compared to other crowds. It didn't seem like the crowd as a whole was that loud.:\

Strawberry Swing I love, such a great song. Pretty sure all I did was stare at Jonny while he played.:lol:

Then they moved down to the B-stage for GPASUYF and Talk. We could see them but they seemed so far away. I love the B-stage set. I only wish they were doing the whole songs instead of the abbreviated versions.

I can not stress enough how absolutely stunningly beautiful The Hardest Part is when it is Chris on the piano.:stunned: Again, he dedicated it to Jennifer Hudson in the wake of her family's tragedy - very sweet of him. I have new appreciation for that song since Chris started performing it like that. Beautiful.

Postcards From Faraway...maybe everyone else knew this but the crowd is so focused on Chris that I was stunned to turn to the stage and see Jonny playing during this song.:eek: Maybe I never listened to it close enough but I had no idea Jonny was playing during that song. I thought it was just Chris on the piano so that was a nice surprise.

Viva La Vida is just jaw dropping. It is a great song on its own but add in the crowd singing and the lights and that song just gets in your blood. And since I was directly in front of Jonny I didn't turn around to see what kind of nutty dancing Chris was doing. I just watched Jonny singing and playing...lovely.:wacky:

Maybe its the Chicago connection - since they filmed the video there and I was there also - but Lost! is awesome. I liked it on the album but there is something about it live. Maybe the drums are louder - I'm not sure - but I just LOVE this song live.:D

Christa42

Irresponsible baby clutching onto aeroplane wing
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
omg---this is a great story guys! i'm so happy for my fellow coldplayers.

I have got to start planning for the 2nd leg of the tour. I need your advice though, Mel and Lori. you guys are pros! :D

Steph, we will be a mighty army!!!!

Jsalyers

1 2 3 Will
Coldplayer
Best Birthday Ever
Part 7

I actually really enjoyed Speed of Sound...the magic balls looked really cool changing colors. Then after SOS we were sure they were going right into COL but Chris asked for the lights to come up. He said hello to the crowd. At some point (was it before this? help me out Lori and Kelly) he said the thing about it being Jonny's daughter's (Violet's) first birthday...was that right at the beginning?? Anyway, he was talking and saying hello and the lights were up so I held up my birthday banner and he looked right at me and pointed his finger at my banner and said "Happy Birthday." I mouthed a thank you to him and looked directly over at Jonny (for some reason) who also had a big grin plastered on his face. I had NO EXPECTATION he would say anything...it was really so I could try to get them to play Shiver! HA! No Shiver, but I'll take the birthday wishes.:D

Clearly, during COL I was out of my mind. I could see what Lori was filming next to me and that didn't help with the excitement level.:wink3: COL is great live and why they didn't have it on the setlist from the beginning is beyond my comprehension.

Chinese Sleep Chant was very high energy. Again, Jonny was giving it everything he had. Then 42, which is probably my favorite live performance, just blew me away. Chris was spastic dancing. Jonny was dancing and rocking out all over the place. Will was beating the shit out of his drums. Guy - who I could barely see from where I was - was definitely in the groove - swaying pretty good as he played.:cool:

Fix You was good. Chris was so cute leaning down over his piano with this look on his face like - come on guys you gotta sing this next part really loud. We were all singing out as loud as we could but I really have no idea how it compared to other crowds. It didn't seem like the crowd as a whole was that loud.:\

Strawberry Swing I love, such a great song. Pretty sure all I did was stare at Jonny while he played.:lol:

Then they moved down to the B-stage for GPASUYF and Talk. We could see them but they seemed so far away. I love the B-stage set. I only wish they were doing the whole songs instead of the abbreviated versions.

I can not stress enough how absolutely stunningly beautiful The Hardest Part is when it is Chris on the piano.:stunned: Again, he dedicated it to Jennifer Hudson in the wake of her family's tragedy - very sweet of him. I have new appreciation for that song since Chris started performing it like that. Beautiful.

Postcards From Faraway...maybe everyone else knew this but the crowd is so focused on Chris that I was stunned to turn to the stage and see Jonny playing during this song.:eek: Maybe I never listened to it close enough but I had no idea Jonny was playing during that song. I thought it was just Chris on the piano so that was a nice surprise.

Viva La Vida is just jaw dropping. It is a great song on its own but add in the crowd singing and the lights and that song just gets in your blood. And since I was directly in front of Jonny I didn't turn around to see what kind of nutty dancing Chris was doing. I just watched Jonny singing and playing...lovely.:wacky:

Maybe its the Chicago connection - since they filmed the video there and I was there also - but Lost! is awesome. I liked it on the album but there is something about it live. Maybe the drums are louder - I'm not sure - but I just LOVE this song live.:D
This is great!!!:dance:

Im still so excited about all this:D:D

SueDeNimes

CRAZY IS GOOD!
Coldplayer
Best Birthday Ever
Part 7
[...]
Chris was spastic dancing.
[...]

There it is!!! Part 7!!
Thank you so much. :kiss:

I love Chris' dancing so much!!
And I couldn't agree more with you - The concert version of The Hardest Part is really stunning. I had goosebumps...

Thanks for that little info! I thought Postcards was piano only as well...

Will there be a part 8 (tonight)?

Christa42

Irresponsible baby clutching onto aeroplane wing
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
i have so much to catch up on!!!!

jo_saw_sparks

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
mel and lori.... THIS IS THE BEST. LIVE STORY. EVER.

im soooo so sosososo happy for you guys!!! and mel this really has to be the best birthday anyone has ever had.

btw. i also wouldve broken down and sobbed on the ground after getting tickets from mr. martin himself =]

is there a part 8!? im loving this!!!

KissesBirds

Jonny's Lori
Coldplayer
Hey!

Kelli: I emailed my ----sucky?----- video, sorry for the crazy screams--I swear its not JUST me!!!!!
So great to meet you and Lori....

I mean Chris Martin was like 5 feet away and I could have had the perfect video of him reading your sign but....oh well!

Mel, Lori & everyone--all the pics, vids, and updates are amazing!!!

......it was great hangin' w/ you all of you!!!

April & Joe

PS====> Hope you have a Great Karma-filled week, Mel, Angie & Lori!!!!

What a Perfect Day!!!

Thanks so much for all this April! I had a blast too, all thanks to you! I loved how excited you were the whole time. Can you tell Joey thanks for screaming Jonny's name at the end? Jonny came right over to us, and I'm sure it was at least partially due to Joey's insanely loud screaming of "JONNY WOOOOOOO!":D

I wish you girls the same!
Though I am new to posting here, I've been reading long
enough to follow some of your exploits and I've really gotten a kick
out of all of your posts this Summer. (Especially your issues with the
Oracle, Angie!) I hope the best of luck keeps following all of you! Enjoy it!! :D

Thanks so much!

Hey Mel, the roadies that you all met, where they "stationed" on the Jonny side of the stage? In Philly I could see the roadies on the side "pit" cutting up before the show started. During JayZ they had their flash lights out making light effects and hip hop dancing, then when Blue Danube started, they all started ballet dancing. :laugh3:

Yes, they had a little pit over there on Jonny's side where they were just resting when we got there. We heard someone say they were dancing again. But we couldn't see it.

KissesBirds

Jonny's Lori
Coldplayer
Mel, your story telling is just FAB! Great job capturing all the moments! :D

KissesBirds

Jonny's Lori
Coldplayer
Wait, lemme get part 8!

:sneaky: *********CENSORED********:whip:

Bwahahahah! Just kidding! (unfortunately)

Jsalyers

1 2 3 Will
Coldplayer
^Hehehehe!!!!!

Awww too bad, that would have made a great story:p

:lol: