03-Nov-08: Detroit - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 05-Jul]

kspillers2

Coldplay Traveler
Coldplayer
Hey April, I hope you got my email with the good pic of yall & Mel & Lori, I loved the video, screams and all....we are just shrieking something awful, but did you notice on the vid & in person it made him laugh. Anyway, let's look forward to somemore good Coldplaying times ahead with a hopeful 2nd leg of the tour. I'm gonna start pawning some more jewelry so I can do some travelling and get some good seats!~Kelly

holycatfish87

In a bullet proof vest
Coldplayer
Hey guys this might be a stupid question, but I am going to the show next week in Atlanta, but did you guys just use your phones for the pictures or did they let you take in real cameras?

Jsalyers

1 2 3 Will
Coldplayer
Well you are really not allowed to take camera's in. But everybody does anyway:D

Its not hard to sneak it in anyway, most people dont even check!!

mandymcnabb

twitter
Coldplayer
hardyhar. the guy was checking my purse and lifted it and said 'wooo, that's heavy. i'm not gonna bother' and let me through.

i have massive berrycrush now. i shouldn't have stared so hard during lovers. now his image is stuck in my head.

kspillers2

Coldplay Traveler
Coldplayer
Hey Mel, just to clarify, (cuz you know at this point we're all about the minutae of that night!), We need Lori to confirm, but as I remember, YOUR Bday wish came first, when Chris was first greeting the audience. Definitely before mentioning Violet's.

hera_g89

Coldplayer
I just cried my way through this thread! hahaha. (yeah, a little late, but ok.) I'm SOOOO happy this happened! Congrats, girls! You deserved it. Man, The boys are just too great...

melanieau

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Best Birthday Ever
Part 8

Next, the boys all walked past us and down Jonny's ramp to get up to the C-stage. In Chicago, they didn't have the big screens up in the middle of the arena so it was nice to be able to see them up close even though they were really so far away. I couldn't stop laughing at the guy who was almost directly behind Chris. He kept reaching out to touch Chris and it looked like Chris was trying to shrug him off a couple of times.:laugh3: The Scientist is nearly tear inducing. :cry:Wonderful. I do lean over and tell Lori something like - Bless his heart he really doesn't play the harmonica well at all. But hey - I'll give him points for trying.

Death Will Never Conquer is so lovely. Will's voice is perfect for this song and he sings it so well. Right at the start, there was some little hiccup and I actually thought Will had broken a guitar string but he and Chris had a little laugh and they carried on. And before that Will had something on his cheek that Chris wiped off for him. Awwww.:wacky:

DWNC finished and they said goodbye and the VLV remix came on. It felt awfully long until they came back and the opening strains of Politik was pounded into our souls. I texted Angie to tell her it was on and her reply was "Bounce!" - I showed it to Lori and we bounced! :DGreat fun and such an awesome song. This should NEVER leave Coldplay's setlist - EVER.

A let down washed over me as I realized Lovers in Japan was next. The show would be over soon. But thankfully it was temporary. My mood lifted as the song began and I watched Jonny just enjoying the song and the crowd and later on lifting his face to the sky and watching the butterflies fall. I think everyone who has gone so far has that little snapshot in their mind of seeing those butterflies fall....sigh.

DAAHF is like a warm fuzzy for the concert goer. The show is ending but you somehow feel ok about it. The singing at the end gives me chills and it was especially chuckle inducing to watch Jonny concentrate very hard on playing his part while the others were singing.

The song ended and they put down their instruments and began clapping for us. Lori and I held up the Reign of Jonny banner and he saw it but was on the move. Guy came over and I thought I had missed him when I remembered I had our homemade Reign of Guy sign so I held that up really fast and thankfully he looked back in our direction and saw it and smiled and gave us a little clap. :D Then they were bowing and leaving the stage.

Jsalyers

1 2 3 Will
Coldplayer
:dance::dance:

Mel I love you're story's, they are so detailed!!! Again, im so happy that is was great for you guys. It makes me even more excited for my show coming up!!!!

So...was there any stalking afterwards??:D

Pris

Oh, to be that bass.....
Coldplayer
wait!!!!

She needs to get to the Yellow-encore first!!!!! :D

And THEN the stalking ;)

the.hardest.part

Bass technician =]
Coldplayer
The song ended and they put down their instruments and began clapping for us. Lori and I held up the Reign of Jonny banner and he saw it but was on the move. Guy came over and I thought I had missed him when I remembered I had our homemade Reign of Guy sign so I held that up really fast and thankfully he looked back in our direction and saw it and smiled and gave us a little clap. :D Then they were bowing and leaving the stage.
YAY! I love those signs, seeing as I've met them personally :laugh3:. Those smiles really warm your heart, dont they?

OH! I almost forgot to tell you. I got a 'Reign of Guy' sign made for my last show (so far) in Kansas City. You know besides the homemade one I already told you about.

I know you may not have seen it but I'm SOOO happy for you. I truly believe in ColdplayKarma now! So, I'm hoping some of it comes my way in 6 days time;):sneaky:

If they come back to Chicago soon, we need to meet up!

Collee

Yes
Coldplayer
Yeah Mel and Lori! I'm so freekin' happy for you two!!!!!!

We need Mel to come back and fill us in on the encore and stalking! ::p:

Jenjie

Coldplaying Founder
Founder
Coldplayer
Yeah Mel and Lori! I'm so freekin' happy for you two!!!!!!

We need Mel to come back and fill us in on the encore and stalking! ::p:
we need her, Mich, Lori, & Angie awake & in the Orlando thread more!! :p

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
Pictures and videos:

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/bittersweetblog/sets/72157608721252874/show/"]Bittersweet Blog's slideshow on Flickr[/ame]

garethxxgod

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I was just glad to see Coldplay Live.

I went with my best friend, who has a child on the way, so originally the Coldplay show was out of the question because their delivery date was supposed to be around then. So as the show got closer and closer any hope of going to see them got further and further out of reach. However as November 3rd got closer he and his wife started to realize that the baby wouldn't be out by the 3rd. So the race was on.......again.

This would be the THIRD time my friend saw Coldplay Live and still that didn't deter him from getting tickets. The guy was on the phone like crazy trying to talk to people with tickets. At one point there were tickets to the far right of the stage. My friend was going to buy those for 200 dollars a pop. Always trying for a deal, he held off and tried other avenues. As the day of the concert came, the one lady decided to jack up the price because someone else was desperate enough to buy them. The other offer didn't come through and she sold her tickets. Fearing that we were screwed.....my friend opted for the only resource left to him.......TICKETMASTER. We would have been content getting nosebleeds but when he called asking for best available we got FLOOR SEATS in the A section. I couldn't believe it, neither could he. Best part, they were 100 dollars cheaper than the girl wanted her tickets for.

My friend made a comment that's so true, as we stood on the floor for the concert he looked back and said "See those people back there?" I turned and said "Yeah" and he responded "those people bought their tickets months ago....we bought ours TODAY and we're on the floor!"

As for the show itself, it was amazing. I was a little sad that some songs they played, the ones from Viva La Vida weren't getting the love that they deserved. Nobody seemed to sing for "42" or even knew what the "Chinese Sleep Chant" was. Then again, I haven't really heard anything from the forthcoming 'Prospekts March' E.P. so I didn't recognize the stuff from that either.

What I WAS happy about was that they played "Cemeteries Of London" one of my favourite tracks from Viva La Vida. I was hoping they'd play it and my friend who had seen Coldplay on the Twisted Logic Tour assured me that they'd play most of the 'NEW' album at the show and I was the only one who yelled "YESSSSSS!" when they started playing 'Cemeteries' which was sadly another song nobody seemed to know the lyrics for! I knew going in I'd probably wouldn't be hearing "What If", "X & Y", "Don't Panic", "Shiver" (sad that only one song from Parachutes made the concert...oh well!) so it wasn't so bad when I heard "42", "Cemeteries", "Lost!" and the like.

Man was Viva La Vida electric or what? That's pretty much replaced Clocks as having the best live vibe....or atleast at that show it was.....I think it's because Clocks was played early and Viva La Vida was the anticipated song everyone was waiting for them to launch into. Either way, they played every song you'd hope they would and delivered a solid show. Those guys are blessed to be able to do that every night and feel the love from the crowd, such amazing artists is Coldplay!

melanieau

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Best Birthday Ever
Part 9

But don't despair....they were back soon and all of a sudden Yellow was rocking:drummer::guitarist: - a great way to play that song live.

Yellow ended and the boys waved a final time and were gone. The lights went blue and The Escapist came on. The crowd was still cheering but as soon as the black curtain started coming down we knew it was over.:(

Matt was no where to be seen so hopes of getting Jonny's setlist or a pick dwindled. A roadie blowing butterflies off the stage with a leaf blower stepped to the edge and I asked him for a setlist. He looked around before pulling a folded one out of his pocket. I thanked him and then we immediately caught sight of Bash at the drum kit. With Joey's help we all screamed for Bash who THREW a drumstick at us. It is a wonder someone wasn't injured! Joey caught it and graciously gave it to me for my birthday...ok so I yanked it out of his hand:lol:...but damn it - it was my birthday!:p

After that we said goodbye to Kelly and made our way to our car. We got Lori settled in at her hotel and then headed back to the airfield. Our flight home was smooth and at 1:30am I was asleep in bed.

It was such an amazing day with amazing friends. Coldplay was incredible - for many reasons. I'll never forget that day.:heart:

The End

:D