06-Aug-09: Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion, Raleigh, NC - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setl

Link

Coldplay Freak
Coldplayer
First off I agree with whoever said his voice sounded a slight bit nasaly - I was thinking either cold or just maybe a bit tired, but it was only noticable in the beginning to me.

I also think that the Talk/GPASUYF remix sounded great, just.. I dunno. It kinda didn't work right the way they combined them for me. I also think Violet Hill was a little off, but all the rest were brilliant! Strawberry Swing is a favorite of my girlfriend and I and we both thought it completely came alive in person! It sounded much more full than the studio version - same for Lost! It didn't sound as planned out and to me, it flowed better than it does on the CD. To be honest though, at least from where I was (left stage, about middleways back), I don't get what you mean by the crowd not getting into them? I was really surprised by how many people sang along and were enjoying all the songs - even the non-singles. I LOVE Leftrightleftrightleft - I held off on downloading it so I wouldn't spoil the surprise of the live songs - but it's so cool having that as a memory of how great the concert was.

I have many pictures and videos, but I'm not sure if I'll post them or not - the videos are half of songs in most cases - I didn't want to watch all of them through the lens! I'm also not so sure how good the quality is lol..

My girlfriend and I also both thought Elbow were better live - she doesn't even like them in the studio - but Grounds for Divorce and One Day Like This were AMAZING! Looooved the effects on the GFD breakdowns!

But the one thing this concert made me feel over anything else is that Coldplay's way more fun to see live than a lot of other bands out there - and I'm going to try and get to at least one of their shows a year from now on if they're around!

The programs are amazing btw - I felt a lot better spending $20 on one of those than I did the $40 for the shirts haha..

i♥C.MART

ohai again
Coldplayer
*cutest laugh ever* "Will's guitar's a little out of tune." *harmonica* "But I promise we'll be startin' this song very soon." :D:D

Josh42

hysterical and useless
Coldplayer
The studio (and the previous live) versions of God Put a Smile/Talk are great and were definitely not "filler" songs on their respective albums or previous live shows. I was saying these new techno/shortened B-stage versions feel like filler songs because they're harder to sing along to, they're a lot noisier (and "techno" which just isn't Coldplay), and obviously because they're shorter. If they had just stayed on the main stage and played the full versions of each, they would have been better, is all I'm saying.

When I said Glass of Water, Strawberry Swing, and Lost! (I should have added Violet Hill to this list) didn't translate well live, I wasn't talking about the song quality, I thought they were all great. It was just obvious they were not fan favorites for whatever reason and I could have told you that before the show (maybe not Violet Hill, I was a little surprised that one fell a little flat with the crowd) - why not Shiver, Everything's Not Lost, Trouble, Amsterdam? Those are guaranteed fan favorites... and all fantastic live songs.

I understand playing new material but if you treat Prospekt's March and Viva La Vida as a double album (which they pretty much are) take away Lost+ and LIJ remix because those aren't new - they played 12 of the 16 songs... which was also over half of the concert. Maybe I'm biased because I love Parachutes so much and I pretty much like the albums in order in the way they were released except I'd put VLV ahead of X&Y, but still... seems like a bit overkill to me. And it kind of feels like you're forgetting the older fans a bit too if you're catering to the new fans so much. And with Glass of Water and Strawberry Swing especially, the new songs weren't exactly exciting to the newer fans anyways.

I don't want to become one of those fans who is never happy with a setlist just because there was an exact list of songs that I wanted to be played and if they're not, then I'm pissed - I've seen way too much of that with hardcore U2 fans and it kind of takes the fun away from seeing a band if all you're concerned about is what songs they did or didn't play. So don't get me wrong, I loved the concert last night and I thought it was very entertaining, I just wanted to give a little different perspective other than how close I was to touching Chris or if I got a setlist from a roadie or not. I just also wanted to point out to the new fans who just made it to their first show - that as amazing as they were last night, they actually can be even better! Anybody else that went to 2005 as well have a comparison between the two? I'd love to hear it.
Yea, I agree that I'd rather hear the real versions of GPASUYF and Talk, but that's just Coldplay trying to shake things up a bit. I think without the b stage the concert would get a little too repetitive, one song after another. It's sort of a "break". Yea, I'd love to hear more from the earlier albums, but the boys themselves said they're just tired of playing those songs for so long.

the crowd was better than i thought it would be and as a whole it was really good but i got stuck by some pretty unenthusiastic people. :blank: they were hardly singing or anything and here we are screaming our heads off. they probably hated us but i don't care. :shrug:
I don't care if I look like a fool, I sing along to EVERY song, even when no one around me knows them. :D IMO the crowd was weak as a whole. The concerts I went to at the Verizon Center had better crowds.

Josh42

hysterical and useless
Coldplayer
Lol I'm on the Coldplaying main page, but there's no [Thanks Josh42] :(

i♥C.MART

ohai again
Coldplayer
haha yeah me too. like Glass of Water... nobody around me knew it but i was singing really loud :D
i think the reason why i liked the crowd was because it exceeded my expectations. i thought it was going to suck since there weren't many coldplayers going but it actually wasnt bad. :)

i♥C.MART

ohai again
Coldplayer
oh my god how could i forget!?
before we did the cell phone wave when chris stopped talking for a second, in a desperate attempt to get his attention, i screamed "CHRIS YOURE MY BACKGROUND!" but i dont think he heard me :(
the girls next to me did though and they laughed. :D

Josh42

hysterical and useless
Coldplayer
My mom's recordings turned out great. I'll try to get them up on youtube tonight. Video quality isn't good but for some reason the sound turned out quite nicely.

jelynch2

CPer Momma
Coldplayer
Okay, here it goes...

My mom, me, and two of my best friends drove from Maryland to see the show...took us 7 HOURS! Anyway, we got there and were the FIRST in line at the gate. I chatted up the security guards and they told me (actually, let me look at their "secret" security paper detailing all the stuff at the show) exactly where the c-stage was. I got the woman to "pre-screen" us so we wouldn't have to wait in line with our bags. My mom and one friend took all the bags so me and my other friend could sprint to the c-stage. The steps to the lawn were DIRECTLY in front of us. As soon as they let us go, we sprinted like our hair was on fire. My friend lost her flip-flop (I was smart enough to wear sneakers!) and I left her in the dust. hahah Anyway, I ran to the top and down to the c-stage. FIRST ONE THERE!!!! (I'm the one in the yellow t-shirt on the main page!!) :) The only other people around it were two super cool Ox-Fammers. The rest of my group caught up and we were all set. When I saw the boys in Pittsburgh, I had the exact same spot, so I was well prepared. I brought 150 glow bracelets and handed them out to everyone so the boys would see a ton of glowing arms in the air. My friend and I BEGGED the one security guard to take down the tent above the c-stage so we could see...we finally convinced them and they did it before Elbow came on.

Elbow was outstanding. I am going out to buy their cd as soon as I can...unbelievable sound and their lead singer is an incredible musician. Really wowed.

Anyway, when Coldplay came out, we screamed and danced our heads off. I thought Chris was sooo playful and personable with the crowd...WAY more than any others I've seen. He must have been in a really good mood. Not getting burnt by a sparkler will do that to you, I guess. :) I don't know about everyone else, but I thought the crowd was phenomenal... maybe it's just because I was at the c-stage, but everyone was SOO loud and sang everything. When I saw them in LA a few weeks ago, NO ONE sang ANYTHING...it was awful. The reason why Chris told us the lyrics to Yellow was because no one knew the words in LA and not many people sang. Afterward, he said the Will, "I guess we'll have to work on those lyrics a bit, huh?" I was so shocked that people kept the VLV chant going at the end of the song to bring Chris back to life...hasn't happened at the other four shows I've been to.

So, now the c-stage... In Pittsburgh, Chris totally ignored the people right in front of the railing and looked over us at the people way in the back of the lawn. Here, it was the exact opposite. The man looked RIGHT at me and leaned WAY down to read my sign ("You had me from Yellow")....cheesy, I know...but true. Anyway, he leaned over, read it, looked at me, laughed, and smiled!! AHHHH!!! Then, guy looked at me and laughed!! Double AHHH!!! :D I saved four glow bracelets and threw them up onto the c-stage for the boys to put on, but they didn't see them. I have a picture of Jonny stepping on one of them..hahah Oh, well. I couldn't see Will at all from where we were. How funny was it that Jonny couldn't find the beat during DWNC? lol We were dying laughing. Even Chris was laughing. He couldn't even purse his lips around the harmonica for a few minutes. hahah I love them. :) The kid who got the harmonica was right beside us. We met him when we came in and he was totally awesome...he about DIED when Chris gave him the harmonica. As they were leaving the c-stage, the one really nice roadie gave me a guitar pick! I'm not sure whose it was, but it's really thin and white. Any ideas?? When they left the c-stage, my mom, my two friends, and I STARTED the Viva chant that the rest of the crowd got into.

No one sat down the entire show. It was amazing. By far, it was the best concert of theirs I've seen. I think they kind of just wanted to take it all in since they knew they'd be leaving the states in a few days. I couldn't believe how into it the crowd was and how awesome of a concert it was. Totally made up for my disappointment in the LA show. I viva for Coldplay. :D

Josh42

hysterical and useless
Coldplayer
The reason why Chris told us the lyrics to Yellow was because no one knew the words in LA and not many people sang. Afterward, he said the Will, "I guess we'll have to work on those lyrics a bit, huh?" I was so shocked that people kept the VLV chant going at the end of the song to bring Chris back to life...hasn't happened at the other four shows I've been to.

No one sat down the entire show. It was amazing. By far, it was the best concert of theirs I've seen. I think they kind of just wanted to take it all in since they knew they'd be leaving the states in a few days. I couldn't believe how into it the crowd was and how awesome of a concert it was. Totally made up for my disappointment in the LA show. I viva for Coldplay. :D
The VLV chant at the end of the song happens often, and I was disappointed by how weak it was last night.

The LA show must have been COMPLETE SHIT if you thought that crowd was good.

Thanks for the review.

TimeIsOnYourSide

moving to mars....
Coldplayer
yeah even around the C stage I was one of the only ones that I could tell who knew all the songs.

i♥C.MART

ohai again
Coldplayer
okay jackie, lindi and i should have sat right by the c-stage instead of just near it. you guys are so much more fun then the dumbass drunks next to us. :rolleyes:

TimeIsOnYourSide

moving to mars....
Coldplayer
haha yeah. The only part that was crazy was when they were on the c stage we got crushed by the crowed. It was nuts...but totally amazing.

Josh42

hysterical and useless
Coldplayer
We're all chilling together next time. I fucking hate having people who aren't true fans around me.