[16-Sept-2011] Coldplay @ Austin City Limits Festival, Zilker Park, Austin, Texas

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer

The best 'gets' of 2011 ACL Fest

The full lineup for the Austin City Limits Music Festival was released just after midnight, so now all the folks hoping the rumors that Stevie Wonder and/or Kanye West will be playing can rejoice. In the festival booking biz, those are known as "good gets," acts that promise not only entertaining sets but also expand the parameters of the lineup from previous years. That's why Stevie and Kanye are better gets than Arcade Fire and Coldplay, who've already left their sonic footprints on the Great Lawn of Zilker Park.

Our staff ranks Charles Attal and company's bookings, not just on talent, but also on the acts' GQ — "get" quotient. Contributing are Michael Corcoran, Joe Gross and Peter Mongillo.

4. Coldplay. Does this lineup even need Chris Martin and his pawnshop piano? Back in 2005, when Coldplay was the band of the moment, they set a standard for ACL headliners that even Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers couldn't meet the next year. But since then they've been slagged as pop sellouts and paid for an addition to Joe Satriani's house. With ACL four months away, a lot could happen, however. The band's long-awaited fifth album, produced by Brian Eno, could come out and make the Cold ones red-hot again. But what's special about this booking — the first time a true Sunday night headliner (Ben Harper was a last resort in 2004) has returned — is that Coldplay is showing that they love ACL enough to come back with three other acts as top dogs. Nothing better than a band with something to prove.

Read the others: http://www.austin360.com/music/acl/the-best-gets-of-2011-acl-fest-1479660.html

Christa42

Irresponsible baby clutching onto aeroplane wing
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Have fun everyone!

Afeather

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

WOOHOO!!! I am so happy to have my 3 day pass in hand for this year's concert! Nothing like a bit of good news to get me back on here & posting -- especially when I want to give out a big squeeee!!!! Beyond the obvious, I couldn't be happier with the line-up! :laugh3:

I wish every single person wanting a ticket the best of luck in securing them. Word of advise, log on a few minutes early if you can!

Lauren: I have a slight suspicion about where you plan to stand, so perhaps we'll run into one another! :wink:

LFDianne

Biggest Will Fan
Coldplayer
YES! Got our single day tickets. Now to get plane tickets and hotel :) Happy Birthday to Meeeeee :D:D:D

Texasluvsjonny

Jonny's personal fluffer
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I think I got a ticket but still no confirmation email from ticket company. :uhoh:

LFDianne

Biggest Will Fan
Coldplayer
I think I got a ticket but still no confirmation email from ticket company. :uhoh:
It said it might take a while for the email confirmation to come through. I wrote down my confirmation number just to be sure I had something, because I couldn't get to the receipt "print" page.

jenflor

Give me love over this...
Coldplayer
@Angie- what did you end up doing? Just Friday or Fri/Sun?

@Dianne- congrats and early, early Happy Bday!!

MartinFan

One I Love
Coldplayer
Way to go Dianne!!!!!! Make sure your phone is fully charged, I want a text or 2:D

Texasluvsjonny

Jonny's personal fluffer
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
@Angie- what did you end up doing? Just Friday or Fri/Sun?

@Dianne- congrats and early, early Happy Bday!!
Friday and Sunday :D

and my credit card billing cycle starts over today so I won't have to pay for Lolla and ACL at the same time. :p

jenflor

Coldplayer
@Angie- Cool...and even better that you can space out the cost of the two!

LFDianne

Biggest Will Fan
Coldplayer
My birthday is Sunday, the 18th. I would have like to have stayed, but my son and I have the same birthday, so we should be home for his 16th birthday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ivet

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyy anybody got an extra 3 day pass they want to sell/share? :surprised:?

JimmyD

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'll be there as well. Can't wait to see them do another ACL performance. 2005 was a good year to be in Austin.

jenflor

Coldplayer
Ivet, I think there are a ton on Austin's craigslist right now. They might be ridiculously expensive though. If you're willing to take a little bit of a chance, you can almost definitely get them in the week prior to the festival, and often for not much above face.