[16-Sept-2011] Coldplay @ Austin City Limits Festival, Zilker Park, Austin, Texas

LFDianne

Biggest Will Fan
Coldplayer
More pictures from Friday. If anyone has a better upload site that works, rather than photobucket, please let me know. The quality isn't very good on their site :( But it's easy to use...

LFDianne

Biggest Will Fan
Coldplayer
More pictures...

Chris's jump down from the stage to run the aisle...

I really wish this had turned out better - love this picture of Guy and Jonny :) Both smiley.

the_escapist

Just a flock of birds
Coldplayer
does anybody has a link of a good quality video of Fix You to see Chris jumping into the crowd?

jenflor

Give me love over this...
Coldplayer
Dianne, FANTASTIC pictures! Mine are crap, but I'll see if I can find some good ones to post. Also, a review, at some point! SO fun meeting you and getting to hang out with you this weekend!

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer

ACL Fest review: Coldplay

A few years ago in an article about sign language interpreters at music festivals, Austin resident and touring interpreter Barbie Parker talked about the relative difficulty of preparing to interpret for different kinds of artists. A legacy artist like Bob Dylan was a nightmare because of the deep canon and unpredictable setlist, while rappers presented a two-pronged problem because of speed of delivery and the multitude of plays on words and other lyrical devices that don’t translate gracefully to sign language.

You could learn something by watching the interpreters from Austin’s Lotusign do their work Saturday night while British rock band Coldplay banged out a grandiose, hit-after-hit-filled and consummately professional 90 minutes at Austin City Limits Festival. Mainly that the band is a gang of literal and lyrical generalists to the extreme, pretty much absent of metaphor, verbal trickery or allusion, with enough symbolism and personification (keys are held, clocks are watched, people are lost, etc.) to keep every set of lyrics from being “I used to be in love, and now I’m not” ad infinitum.

This insight about the band is hardly a revelation and as our great recent “defense” of the curiously maligned band points out, a big key to Coldplay’s success is the incredible accessibility of their lyrics, almost to the point of being musical comfort food for the loved, loveless and pretty much everyone who’s somewhere in between. But watching singer Chris Martin’s lyrics presented in a physical form with sweeping, easy motions - versus the near gymnastics demanded by a combo like Nas and Damian Marley earlier in the evening, or the arcane literary references of a band like The Decemberists - drove the point home in a new way; these are wide-open ideas populated by stock characters (God, devils, angels, children and “you” make up the bulk) in service of incredibly basic motivations. Inanimate object + verb + direct object + a U2- or Cure-sized melody = pretty much every Coldplay song ever written.

So it’s no wonder to find Coldplay on a headliner stage on a big festival like ACL and others all over the world. You pretty much can’t fit a song like “Viva La Vida” into a place with less than a five-figure capacity (though they tried pretty successfully Thursday night at an Austin City Limits television taping), “Yellow” soars high enough to scrape the heavens… everything the band does is big. Like book them for halftime of Super Bowl LX big. And clearly they’re comfortable projecting these songs in massive fashion. From the opening pulses of the new “Hurts Like Heaven” through to the end Martin bounded around the stage when he wasn’t behind a piano or guitar, reaching out the crowd (no one makes yearning as palatable as these guys) and delivered what is really a startling collection of hits for a band that’s been banging around for just over a decade.
Saturday found the foursome in a comfort zone, doing what they’ve done scores of times at this point and checking all the boxes you’d need them to fill as the night’s co-headliner. There were tastes of the upcoming album “Mylo Xyloto,” familiar songs given new colors (the closing of “God Put A Smile Upon Your Face was massive) and humorous asides like in “Everything’s Not Lost” about all the women in the audience wanting to see Coldplay while all the boys they were with really wanted to see Kanye West across the park. In all, enough new flourishes and surprises to keep it from feeling like a paying-the-bills hit parade.

It wasn’t a set that caused audience members to re-examine how they think about music as a whole as they filtered out of the park, but that’s never this band’s intent to begin with. Faces smiling, hands red from clapping and throats strained thanks to choruses so ingrained that singing to them is almost autonomic behavior, they left happy from seeing exactly what they had expected would be put before them, served up big and gulped down whole.

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/music/entries/2011/09/17/acl_fest_review_coldplay.html?cxntfid=blogs_austin_music_source

LFDianne

Biggest Will Fan
Coldplayer
Dianne, FANTASTIC pictures! Mine are crap, but I'll see if I can find some good ones to post. Also, a review, at some point! SO fun meeting you and getting to hang out with you this weekend!
I'm so glad we met! The whole weekend was just surreal and so much fun. Can't wait to relive the taping on NYE, too! I have maybe 50 pictures that are ok from Friday - out of almost 200 I took. Didn't seem like I took that many, but most of them suck. So hard with the lighting and then that darn Chris just doesn't stand still for very long. Even Jonny and Guy were very dancey. But the camera man was in front of Guy most of the time, so my camera focused on him and not on Guy.

RAMINI99

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Does anyone have ACL Artwork that could be used for the Paradise live single?

MartinFan

One I Love
Coldplayer
DIANNE:bomb::sweatdrop: WONDERFUL pictures!!! The Will pics are fab, and the Jonny ones are, well he's looking mighty fine.....Guy "sigh"....... You know how I feel about the Martin ones:wink3:

l0wxo2

I Saw Sparks
Coldplayer
ACL Taping/ACL festival review

I literally just got home from Austin a few hours ago but couldn't wait to post my reviews, pics, and videos from the ACL taping/ACL festival!

ACL taping:
Dianne already mentioned how we got in.. but the whole experience of the taping felt so surreal to me. When we found out we got in, our tickets were scanned and we were immediately rushed upstairs to the balcony level because the taping was about to start. All of us were crying tears of joy and we could not believe what was happening. We were walking to our seats just as the back to the future theme came on. When I heard the opening of Hurts Like Heaven and saw the boys on the stage.. I knew it was really happening but I still felt like I had to pinch myself. The venue was really small and although we were in the balcony, we could see everything perfectly. In fact, nobody stood up in front of us until they did Viva later in the show. I stood up, danced, and sang the entire time! The set list was great and the boys were so happy and full of energy. When they played "Up In Flames" I burst into tears, the song is so beautiful and reminds me of why I fell in love with them in the first place. The new years countdown was so fun and I laughed when Chris said "Wait, I don't know how they do the countdown in America..." lol. When Every Teardrop was played at the end, I didn't want it to be over but felt so blessed to be apart of this magical evening.

I only got a few decent pictures because all I had was my iPhone:

Video of Up In Flames:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH9eJecF3tI"]Coldplay performing Up in Flames at the Acl taping - YouTube[/ame]

ACL Festival:

Me, Dianne, and my friend all met up at the entrance to the festival a little after 10 and the gates did not open until 11. We heard Coldplay do their soundcheck, which was awesome. Once the gates opened, we ran like hell to the AMD stage and let me tell you, that was not an easy jog. It paid off though because we got front row center! The day dragged at some points but once "99 Problems" came on and we knew Coldplay were about to come on, all the waiting was worth it. The boys looked so happy, I was slightly bummed when they didn't play Up In Flames again but Paradise is just lovely live... really really amazing. The crowd wasn't as great as I had hoped it would be but we still had a blast. During Fix you, Phil came and sat directly in front of us, Dianne pointed it out but I was too nervous to talk to him(He wouldn't have been able to hear me anyway lol) and when Chris jumped off the stage, I freaked out and Phil turned around and smiled at me :dazzled: when Chris came back, Phil left and we didn't get a chance to meet him :( but that was still awesome because I have never seen him up close before. So surreal seeing Coldplay that up close and it was one of the greatest moments of my life. I loved meeting all the coldplayers(Dianne, Jen, and Amanda) and hanging out with them all day. Truly a magical night :)

Video of Paradise:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9dTepYA7Pk"]Coldplay - Paradise at ACL - YouTube[/ame]

Afeather

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Just got back to my hotel room about an hour ago... The show was fantastic and there is nothing like seeing a Coldplay show from the front row. The boys were so happy and full of energy and crazy how Phil was sitting in front of us at one point!loved hanging out with Dianne, Jen, and Amanda all day! Will post pics and video when I get back home to Vegas on Monday!

***** This is my first chance to really write & even now, it won't be that much since I'm mentally & physically spent from my week in Texas. Jimmy, Jen, Lauren, Jessica, Dianne and Mitch, Dianne's incredibly genius husband/concession extraordinaire -- thank you for the amazingly fun time at ACL. It was such a pleasure to meet you, and I sincerely thank you for allowing me to share in the collective experience. My only regrets are not starting out sooner with my walk to Zilker (a mistake I did not repeat Saturday & Sunday) and not taking the time to thoroughly research a digital camera before up & buying one at a Best Buy kiosk. Better yet, find out how all three of those girls directly behind us  Friday managed to sneak their DLSR cameras into the festival! 

I have yet to look through my photos and small video snippets because it's been go, go, go since last Friday. I plan to knock it out sometime later on today after a nap. Here's to hoping some little gem can be gleaned from a photo or two, though 100% sure nothing of mine will top Dianne's photos!

He was totally soaked in sweat so I'm sure he was slippery as hell. Mike said "his calves are wet. How does some one even sweat on their calves?" :lol:
Rather easily if your Chris Martin, Grand Poobah of fidgeting.    

More pictures from Friday.   If anyone has a better upload site that works, rather than photobucket, please let me know.  The quality isn't very good on their site :(  But it's easy to use...

Have you tried Google's Picasa? Very user friendly

Texasluvsjonny

Jonny's personal fluffer
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFyzLMQR3ok"]Chris.3GP - YouTube[/ame]

jenflor

Give me love over this...
Coldplayer
ANGIE! That's awesome you got that video! The cameras didn't follow him back, so we had no idea what he was doing! I seem to recall him climbing some scaffolding at the 2005 performance, too.... crazy man!

Texasluvsjonny

Jonny's personal fluffer
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
ANGIE! That's awesome you got that video! The cameras didn't follow him back, so we had no idea what he was doing! I seem to recall him climbing some scaffolding at the 2005 performance, too.... crazy man!
Yeah he climbed and hung upside down last time. The heat makes him loco :lol:

I was laughing so hard I couldn't get my phone out to shoot it fast enough. He ran back and was looking for something to do, then decided on the climb. Mike got some good pics. I'll ask him to post them here.

There was NO security. None. Zero. Zip! We could have easily went through the opening in the barrier for the roadies and grabbed him. Ha Kelly would have swooped and beat the shit out of us, but we would have captured Chrissy for a bit. :p

LFDianne

Biggest Will Fan
Coldplayer
Hahaha...that's funny. We couldn't see what was going on back there. Crazy Chris.