2-Sep-2009 - Stade de Suisse, Bern, Switz'd - Tickets, Preview, Meetup, Review/Photos

Larry

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I was just a bit bored so I already tried to translate the interview - with emphasis on "tried"! :p

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Nobody makes stadium music deliberately"

By Adrian Schraeder. Updated at 11:01am

Tonight with Coldplay there is playing one of the most successful bands of the decade at Bern’s Stade de Suisse. Drummer Will Champion talks about the rehearsals before a big tour and the relationship to his band's multi record label EMI.

"Bund: Do you have diligently practiced before your big tour or is a band like Coldplay not in the need of doing that anymore?

Will Champion: We find out how a song should sound in order to let it work live, but we don’t spend months with rehearsals before a tour. This happens before we go into the studio. During this time, we rehearse the songs, discarding ideas and work meticulously on details. The same thing happens again when we are in the studio working with producers.

For the last album one of these producers was Brian Eno, a man who has already helped bands such as U2 and David Bowie to fame and honour. Please describe a normal day in the studio.

In the morning we often began with a musical exercise program. We should play what just came to our mind, without being focused on a goal - which at times degenerated into almost free jazz. In the afternoon we worked focused on individual songs, but when we got stuck, Brian Eno broke the thing off quickly, immediately moved to the next song. He doesn’t like it when things go round in circles.

I've heard that you also dealed with magic cards.

Yes. When we didn’t know what to do, he came up with these cards that we had to draw. In a random process pattern of thoughts and routines should be broken.Then on the cards were things like "play it backwards," or "allow a simplification of structures”. Sometimes this has actually brought us to do things that we hadn’t done in our normal operating procedures.

Why does a band like Coldplay need a producer at all?

Otherwise it would take an eternity for us to record an album. A producer can give an idea a form, he keeps track of things and distance.

Is there a boss at Coldplay?

We have found a way to function as a band. Chris Martin writes all the songs, but when he submits us with ideas that wouldn’t leave some leeway for the band or where not everyone of us can stand behind, we have to reach a consensus on it.

The record company EMI seems to be plenty depending on Coldplay – if an album delays the stock market values will break in. How do you deal with such a relationship?

It shouldn’t simply worry us. And it ultimately doesn’t change our attitude to music. We don’t write a better album, because we want to help EMI, as we would never make a bad album to annoy EMI. We are still in the fortunate position that we can publish our music with the help of a larger group.As long as this works so well, there is no reason to be worried about it.

There’s a little problem with Coldplay for quite some time: One listen to your songs, possibly in love with them, and when you see the band live later on, one must share this love with 20,000 others. Has Coldplay accepted being a stadium band?

If I love a song or a band, I never think that I'd like to have it for myself. Far from it! I want to inspire as many people as possible for it. Music deals with that finally: It connects people. And obviously we are padded in a general sense of being with our music. I don’t have any problems with it. We have started as a musician with this ambition, and so we want to continue. I've read several times: "This song sounds as if it had been written for a stadium." This is ridiculous. Nobody does it deliberately. If a song doesn’t sound good when you play it alone in a small room at the piano, then it won’t sound good in a stadium either. It needs that intimacy in a song in order that it becomes something big. One can mix up everything in the studio with guitars, reverb and electronics. But when a song doesn’t have a soul and emotion in its core, it will never sound great. Coldplay has always focused on this core.

The concert tonight is sold out. A small contingent of cards can be ordered through www.stadedesuisse.ch. (The Bund)

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/kultur/pop-und-jazz/Niemand-macht-mutwillig-StadionMusik/story/29786045

SueDeNimes

CRAZY IS GOOD!
Coldplayer
Thanks, Mich!!

Chris is wearing a scarf... :uhoh: doesn't look very effective though.

Stefan8

I do know some things
Coldplayer
Let's hope he isn't too ill to play in Nijmegen next week. :(

Mimixxx

If we could float away...
Coldplayer
Oh you're right!

I think it's to help his voice, he was complaining of a sore throat at the last gig.

Eeek, hold onto that voice just a little longer Chris.

Ilione

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I just thought the same... :thinking: I rather doubt it'll actually help that much... But at least it won't get worse. And it does look kind of cute, I don't know. :D:blush:
Thanks for posting the photos!

And thanks Larry for finding & posting that article! :)

TickingClock

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Thanks, Mich!!

He sounded a bit ill in Munich in my opinion. So I'm not surprised he's wearing a scarf. Hopefully he get's better soon in case he really is a bit ill. They need a break badly it seems. :\

Stefan8

I do know some things
Coldplayer
Maybe/probably he's just being careful and everything will be ok. They can take a nice long break after Wembley, so hold on a bit longer guys! :)

Is anyone from here even at the concert? Only 2 pages and the concert is already over!

Mimixxx

Coldplayer
It's a "cold" he's had since May though, seems to keep going then coming back :confused:

They really need this break.

And nope, is all quiet on the review front it seems, not much on Twitter either. :(

Stefan8

I do know some things
Coldplayer
Well I guess for the setlist it doesn't matter, cause it probably will be the same as always. :dozey:

Mimixxx

Coldplayer
Here's a few:

Stereo_Riders Back from a amazing Coldplay concert at Stade du Suisse Bern. Danced in the rain

inilguitarist Coldplay was fantastic! Greatest thing i have ever seen. I'm wearing clothes. @potense

patschindler on my way back from coldplay!why do people clap their hands to every song like at a schlager party?annoying!

Karin_Z Txs @coldplay - you guys were amazing in the rain & thunderstorms in Switzerland. We love ya!!! Amazing gig!!!

ejoe [moblog] Coldplay on stage in Bern http://bit.ly/3sk9KG #fb

edulam thx coldplay for the great show!

PianoRocker

A Dutch Guy
Coldplayer
It's a "cold" he's had since May though, seems to keep going then coming back :confused:

They really need this break.

And nope, is all quiet on the review front it seems, not much on Twitter either. :(
He's a singer that tours the WHOLE world.. that's a reason to have colds alot.
Because singers are breathing alot in a few hours it's easy to get a cold.. :)

But who knows.. maybe he cut himself with something and put on the scarf to hide it.. :uhoh:

PianoRocker

A Dutch Guy
Coldplayer
Here's a few:

Stereo_Riders Back from a amazing Coldplay concert at Stade du Suisse Bern. Danced in the rain

inilguitarist Coldplay was fantastic! Greatest thing i have ever seen. I'm wearing clothes. @potense

patschindler on my way back from coldplay!why do people clap their hands to every song like at a schlager party?annoying!

Karin_Z Txs @coldplay - you guys were amazing in the rain & thunderstorms in Switzerland. We love ya!!! Amazing gig!!!

ejoe [moblog] Coldplay on stage in Bern http://bit.ly/3sk9KG #fb

edulam thx coldplay for the great show!
Contact them to join the forums! :lol:

Mimixxx

Coldplayer
He's a singer that tours the WHOLE world.. that's a reason to have colds alot.
Because singers are breathing alot in a few hours it's easy to get a cold.. :)

But who knows.. maybe he cut himself with something and put on the scarf to hide it.. :uhoh:
I understand the reasons why and that they're more prone to it, but is happening alot recently, compared to this time last year, which is why they need a break ;)

PianoRocker

A Dutch Guy
Coldplayer
I understand the reasons why and that they're more prone to it, but is happening alot recently, compared to this time last year, which is why they need a break ;)
Yes indeed, they can't tour forever.:lol: Sadly though:(

Stefan8

I do know some things
Coldplayer
Special Coldplay night, everyone, come naked!

That's why they won't come here.. they are ashame!:lol:
:lol:

Twitter is so fucking useful. If it wasn't for Twitter, everyone would think you were naked.