[2016-02-07] Coldplay headlining Super Bowl 2016 - Confirmed

IneedYou23

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
I've watched it a couple times and have grown to like it a bit more. At first I wasn't too happy with it the overall performance. I was excited and nervous that Coldplay was performing though. I even had butterflies right before the show started. Ive seen them 8 times live and know what a great live band they are, so for them to finally get the chance to display this on such a grand stage I thought was well deserving.

I personally think that they got picked for the wrong Super Bowl. I do think they put on a good show though. It's just that going into it Im sure they knew that since it was the 50th, that they were going to have to do some things that would appease the NFL, like doing a little montage of past performances and share the stage with Beyonce and Bruno. I also think it shows how unselfish Coldplay are, that even though they are the headliners, they were willing to share THEIR moment with those artist and pay tribute to performances from the past.

If it were a different Super Bowl, I would have liked the performance to be at night for one, use the xylobands, and have them play 3 full songs. Coldplay's medley felt too rushed and I felt didn't transition too well. If you really didn't know the songs, you almost had to ask yourself, what song are they playing? They were just too short and I've never liked medleys anyways. I would have liked to at least see ASFOS played in place of Paradise.

I thought Bruno and Beyonce were good too. But I think we all knew they were going to overshadow Coldplay or people were going to talk about them more than Coldplay. I read a comment earlier about how their outfits didn't fit. I agree to a point. And I'm not being superficial or anything but I think that the color palette and the theme or it all, with them wearing their black outfits, it just didn't fit the color palette and almost felt like they were doing their own thing. I thought they were suppose to be telling a story, but it felt like Bruno and Beyonce were trying to tell their own.

I did like the Clocks/Fix You/Up&Up mash up though. It was a really great message and finale. Could have done without the montage but it was going to happen. I felt a sense of satisfaction that these artist were singing lyrics to a Up&Up, a song that Chris wrote.

And Beyonce is kind of getting on my nerves a little bit. How do you promote your new world tour right after when you aren't even the headliner? It should have been a Coldplay commercial if anything, but then again they boys aren't like that. She also releases her new single a couple days before and then performs it and knows that people are going to go crazy about her afterwards. I just think she just comes off as being selfish about the whole thing. And then with the story in the RS article about her rejecting one of Chris songs, saying its awful! Get outta here! What nerve!

But I do think Coldplay will still benefit from the sales and number from playing the Super Bowl. I do think from a promotional stand point why wouldn't you release a new single a month before and AHFOD right before the Super Bowl and announce the world tour after? I think that would have been the logical thing to do, that is of course they were really worried about numbers and getting to number 1. But maybe they aren't.

Overall after a couple more watches of the show, I do think it was a solid show. And I am very proud of Coldplay. Ive been with them since the very beginning and to see them get where they are now, makes me immensely happy because I know they are happy. And no matter what anyone says about them(which I dont care) I will always voice my appreciation for Coldplay! Cant wait to see them live when they come back to Levi Stadium!

anacaren08

Up&Up
Coldplayer
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing it with us!
I didn't know that the audience had to rehearse that much :surprised:
It was really important for our safety and others to know where to go and how run onto and off the field. I didn't notice just how many people were on the field, but now it makes perfect sense, after seeing the videos, to have everyone organized to get on the field smoothly and on time! It was thousands of people on the field :eek:

Mehovoric

Get It Together
Coldplayer
It was really important for our safety and others to know where to go and how run onto and off the field. I didn't notice just how many people were on the field, but now it makes perfect sense, after seeing the videos, to have everyone organized to get on the field smoothly and on time! It was thousands of people on the field :eek:
That's such an awesome experience you had! I can't believe I got to be there working on other things but got to watch the rehearsal 3 times! But you, you got to be IN IT! Uber jealous but that's so awesome and I'm really happy for you! I kept waiting in the tunnels for at the points the band was supposed to go by, but I kept missing them or had to actually do my job. Lol But what a memorable experience!

I think my favorite part of watching you all was when you all scattered and sprinted off the field! Was like all of a sudden you were all gone!

anacaren08

Up&Up
Coldplayer
That's such an awesome experience you had! I can't believe I got to be there working on other things but got to watch the rehearsal 3 times! But you, you got to be IN IT! Uber jealous but that's so awesome and I'm really happy for you! I kept waiting in the tunnels for at the points the band was supposed to go by, but I kept missing them or had to actually do my job. Lol But what a memorable experience!

I think my favorite part of watching you all was when you all scattered and sprinted off the field! Was like all of a sudden you were all gone!
Thanks! What job did you have to do? It must have still been cool be a part of it in some way!! :D

btw Here's a picture of the bracelet we got and the sticker we wore so we knew what section to be in and the Love button we got :)

sb50_footer-01.png

Mehovoric

Get It Together
Coldplayer
Thanks! What job did you have to do? It must have still been cool be a part of it in some way!! :D btw Here's a picture of the bracelet we got and the sticker we wore so we knew what section to be in and the Love button we got :)
I was doing computer support work for one of the other companies involved. I routinely make trips down to that stadium. Nothing related to the Halftime show unfortunately. And that bracelet is so cool! I heard they were giving out the pins to everyone that came in and was a little ticked they didn't give some to the employees as well. So now I have to go find one online. haha

anacaren08

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I was doing computer support work for one of the other companies involved. I routinely make trips down to that stadium. Nothing related to the Halftime show unfortunately. And that bracelet is so cool! I heard they were giving out the pins to everyone that came in and was a little ticked they didn't give some to the employees as well. So now I have to go find one online. haha
Oh I see! It's so great to know there were more coldplaying members out there that day! :D There was a guy in my group who had a cool shirt from one of the Ghost Stories shows. I didn't say hi to him though. So guess you will go back on Sep. 3 when Coldplay comes back :D They had a few extras when they handed them out to us and some employees were grabbing them and passing a few among each other

Mehovoric

Get It Together
Coldplayer
Oh I see! It's so great to know there were more coldplaying members out there that day! :D There was a guy in my group who had a cool shirt from one of the Ghost Stories shows. I didn't say hi to him though. So guess you will go back on Sep. 3 when Coldplay comes back :D They had a few extras when they handed them out to us and some employees were grabbing them and passing a few among each other
I thought about posting and seeing if anyone else was around because other than working I had literally nothing to do this trip. But alas. And yes! I'm trying to work it out! Especially since I doubt they will come to my stadium. The problem is just coming up with excuses to stay somewhere where I can watch the show and dance around without having to actually work .... so if you have any ideas. haha

iamsue

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
Ana, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! It means the world to be able to picture what you did and felt being a part of such an incredible show! You describe it so clearly that I felt I was there. I wonder if you could sell an article to a magazine, like Reader's Digest, based on your post? It was that good, and I'm sure even non-Coldplayers would be interested in what this was like for you!

anacaren08

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Ana, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! It means the world to be able to picture what you did and felt being a part of such an incredible show! You describe it so clearly that I felt I was there. I wonder if you could sell an article to a magazine, like Reader's Digest, based on your post? It was that good, and I'm sure even non-Coldplayers would be interested in what this was like for you!
Wow! thank you so much! It makes me so happy that you liked reading what I wrote and that I could share the experience with the Coldplaying community! I definitely had you all in my mind during this entire experience because I knew this would be something everyone here would have loved to do! I'm also really flattered that you said it was good enough to sell to a magazine! haha but not sure if that is something possible. Also, I think I mentioned about some teammates that I didn't quite like and that would affect a few close relationships I have lol. Still, I am just happy that I could share it all and would have loved to tell the band how much the experience meant to fans :)

Cobalt

OH SUCH THE SHAME!
Coldplayer
Can anyone explain what happened to the video during the second half of 2010? Did it get taken down or something?
If I had to take an educated guess it would be something to do with introducing ColdplayVEVO and shifting all the stuff from EMI's channel over to there. Don't have anything to back it up though

spice

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
The NFL just uploaded the halftime show
and I like the video's title

A Rush of Magic

Coldplayer since 6/8/13
Coldplayer
SNL making fun of white people freaking out over Beyoncé's tribute to African American culture

gai

Here's What the 2016 Super Bowl Halftime Show Sales Spike Looks Like
2/17/2016 by Joe Lynch

• EMAIL ME

Jonny Buckland, Chris Martin, Will Champion and Guy Berryman of Coldplay perform onstage during the Pepsi Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show at Levi's Stadium on Feb. 7, 2016 in Santa Clara, Calif.
CHRISTOPHER POLK/GETTY IMAGES
Generally speaking, if you perform a concert for the largest TV audience of the entire year, you're going to see an increase in album sales. So after Super Bowl 50 -- which attracted 111.9 million viewers on Sunday, Feb. 7 -- halftime performers Coldplay,Beyonce and Bruno Mars were bound to see some serious sales gains.

Bruno Mars -- who performed the No. 1 smash "Uptown Funk!" with Mark Ronson and had a dance-off with Beyonce that set Twitter aflame -- saw the biggest sales percentage increase. In the week prior to the Super Bowl (sales period ending Feb. 4, 2016), his two-album catalog moved a combined total of approximately 2,000 copies. That combined total spiked to 10,000 copies for the week of the Super Bowl (period ending Feb. 11). With a 400 percent sales increase, there is the most new life on Mars' catalog after Super Bowl 50.

Super Bowl Halftime Show Album Sales Boost From 2010-2014

While Mars saw the largest percentage increase, Coldplay enjoyed the biggest numerical gain from the Super Bowl. Leading up to the Super Bowl, the U.K. pop-rock act moved a combined total of 20,000 copies of their seven studio albums in the U.S. For the week of the Super Bowl, Coldplay's seven studio albums (lead by their latest, A Head Full of Dreams) sold a combined total of 93,000 copies. That's a 365 percent sales increase for Chris Martin and company (additionally, Super Bowl 50 pushed their seventh album to No. 1 in the U.K. for the first time).

As for Beyonce, the Queen -- who stole the Super Bowl halftime show according to numerous critics and online memes -- actually experienced the lowest album sales increase. She saw her five-album solo catalog increase sales to the tune of 44.4 percent, moving 9,000 for the week ending Feb. 4 and 13,000 for the week ending Feb. 11.

Katy Perry & Missy Elliott's Super Bowl Sales Boost

It should be noted, of course, that many viewers revved up by Beyonce's Super Bowl performance might've turned their attention to her new single, "Formation" -- which was available as a free download on Super Bowl weekend -- instead of buying her previous albums. Unlike Bey, Mars and Coldplay weren't offering a brand new single for free that weekend, which might partially explain why they enjoyed a bigger boost in album sales.

Check out the sales increases in the graphic below.

billboard