[2016-03-16] Chris Martin on The Howard Stern Show

Christa42

Irresponsible baby clutching onto aeroplane wing
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer

42JTR

Watching my life on the skyline
Coldplayer
Back in 2011 I found Howard Stern a bit rude and annoying, but now I actually get it. He is actually quite a good interviewer in my opinion, yes he pushed Chris a bit (but not too much), but in this way he finally gives some real answers. Most other interviews are like the interviewer asking Chris something, Chris makes a joke or talks around it, and then they both laugh and they move to the next question. And the question remains sort of unaswered in the end. But this guy actually really gets things out of him.

Oh btw, did you notice Chris saying that they will be in Europe again in the summer of 2017 :D

Last edited:

alicjanna

Whatcha say?
Coldplayer
Moving to Mars was defenitely inspired by Life on Mars (not only because of the title, they sound really simillar in one moment).

I also think that Howard was pretty rude. In my opinion, if Chris wants to keep some things private, everyone should respect it.

42JTR

Watching my life on the skyline
Coldplayer
Moving to Mars was defenitely inspired by Life on Mars (not only because of the title, they sound really simillar in one moment).
Yes I thought the same! So many similarities and such an underrated song...

alicjanna

Whatcha say?
Coldplayer
And, of course they are going back to Europe in 2017! I'm starting to save the money, my goal is 2-3 gigs... Fingers crossed

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Haven't watched this yet but Howard Stern is always rude and vulgar, I totally hate this guy.

cp3176

Kaleidoscopes
Coldplayer
Regrettably, Howard did not push him so much as during the last interview in the MX era. Such a shame...
Yeah, that's because MX is still good... The recent stuff again I really do enjoy but yes could have been better without Stargate.

gai

Yeah, that's because MX is still good... The recent stuff again I really do enjoy but yes could have been better without Stargate.
Don't think the "goodness" of AHFOD had anything to do with it :) as far as i kkow, howard stern never rated coldplay as a band in the past, except for during chris' interviews. but the Stargate thing is a whole other matter.

guy42

Warm Player
Coldplayer
Granted, I haven't listened to this yet, but I have mixed feelings about Stern from the previous interview. While I hate that he makes Chris feel really uncomfortable, there were some cool things we got from it. :shrug:

Rickulus

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Chris always looks like he doesn't know how to respond to Howard Stern haha. All the other interviewers are a bit too polite and try to not ask personal questions, while Stern just goes all out. I don't know how I feel, we get to know more, but Chris looks uncomfortable. But again, he did agree to come there (for the second time).

alisbe

We're diamonds taking shape
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I've just listened to it and I think Chris was more confident this time. Today he said no to the questions about his current relationship. Last time he was like "I don't feel comfortable talking about it but I don't know how to stop him". My favorite parts were the cover of life on Mars and Viva La Vida (my favorite song of all time)

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
How surprising that Apple and Moses named their "band" Birds Of Prey....Chris Martin's genes through and through

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Listened to it entirely now. Howard Stern is still a disgusting guy to me (his vulgarity....) but at least he did really ask Chris in-depth about the songwriting process and didn't let him get away with vague answers like usual. Also, although it seems like he despised Stargate for the sole reason that they are from Scandinavia, which is a stupid thing to do, I think it was good that he critically questioned the power Coldplay gave them over their own music. I wish it would make Chris wake up to this.

diego_camargo

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I'm thinking about this answer and trying to figure out and in my mind I came up with this: They are not breaking up or ending the band, they're still friends and will collaborate with each other sometimes. Coldplay will not make full LP's with big world tour and promotions around it anymore. That doesn't mean Coldplay will stop working with music, they could still release singles now and then, collaborate and produce for another artists but LP7 will be their last LP. Coldplay will exist but in another form. For me it's fair they probably miss their familys and friends after being so active the last couple of years and want to have time for their personal projects. It's artistically health for everyone of them too.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I'm thinking about this answer and trying to figure out and in my mind I came up with this: They are not breaking up or ending the band, they're still friends and will collaborate with each other sometimes. Coldplay will not make full LP's with big world tour and promotions around it anymore. That doesn't mean Coldplay will stop working with music, they could still release singles now and then, collaborate and produce for another artists but LP7 will be their last LP. Coldplay will exist but in another form. For me it's fair they probably miss their familys and friends after being so active the last couple of years and want to have time for their personal projects. It's artistically health for everyone of them too.
While I hope they go on extended hiatus to find a new artistic identity again, I hope they will eventually release more LPs. Don't want them to be gone forever

diego_camargo

Up&Up
Coldplayer
While I hope they go on extended hiatus to find a new artistic identity again, I hope they will eventually release more LPs. Don't want them to be gone forever
Me too. Maybe they will change their minds later, but for now it appears to be deadset for them. It will be interesting if Jonny and Will have another side project in mind. That would be pretty cool to see.

D

diogo_sg

Just finished listening to this. It's a great interview. Really great. Very insightful. I've been learning so much from Chris regarding happiness, sadness and, well, life. He's such a smart person and I can only imagine what it would be like to have a 'serious' conversation with him. I haven't listened to the MX era interview with Howard Stern, but he didn't seem rude at all in this one. The questions were well put and the answers were very interesting - we really got to learn a large handful of new things about the band and Chris. By the way, the four performances were just superb! All of them! Amazing.

Kamili

Leave your broken windows open
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Just finished listening to this. It's a great interview. Really great. Very insightful. I've been learning so much from Chris regarding happiness, sadness and, well, life. He's such a smart person and I can only imagine what it would be like to have a 'serious' conversation with him. I haven't listened to the MX era interview with Howard Stern, but he didn't seem rude at all in this one. The questions were well put and the answers were very interesting - we really got to learn a large handful of new things about the band and Chris. By the way, the four performances were just superb! All of them! Amazing.
Listen the old interview-MX era and you`ll see how rude he was. This new interview was a real transformation of Howard. Although I think that both interviews had a real quality.

D

diogo_sg

Listen the old interview-MX era and you`ll see how rude he was. This new interview was a real transformation of Howard. Although I think that both interviews had a real quality.
I will when I have the time. I have a huge list of interviews and other stuff (Coldplay-related and not) that I have to watch, read, see, etc, but I don't have much free time to do so :)