22-Jul-08: Chicago - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

fakfak

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
Saw the first Chicago show (My first for this tour). Long story short I thought it was both a terrific show and represented an improvement by the band in many respects from the other times I've seen them live. Some thoughts:

-Good setlist. The new songs really came alive played live and the old ones all sounded tight as well. Was impressed that they lengthened the set as well. Also by my count, no two shows yet on the tour have had the exact same setlist which is cool.

-Both Jonny and Guy seemed more energetic than I had seen them ever before. These two have really stepped up their stage style IMHO.

-Chris' voice was MUCH better than both times I saw them during Twisted Logic. Also about him letting backup tapes "do most of the work", it seemed to me that when backup tapes were extensively used, he was busy playing guitar. Most of the songs where he wasn't playing something (and thus would be free to do some of the work the backing tracks did) were those songs not using heavy backing.

-Side stage bit was cool but totally lifted from the first encore of Popmart (thankfully sans giant fruit):laugh3:

-Acoustic set was a bit weird. IMHO heavily traded sound quality for the novelty of playing in the audience.

Overall, best Coldplay show I've been to (out of 5 total). It seems to me the new live show seeks to actively adress some of the critisisms that have been made about Coldplay as a live act in the past, and again IMHO, they've succeeded in that regard

CRYSTAL

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exH3EO4Qjj0[/media]

a very small clip of chinese sleep chant.

icedude2010

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
LOL I took that same pic while I was walking around the 300 lvls asking for signups

fakfak

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
"So I assume a lot of you went to shows for the X&Y album correct? Well which tour did you like better"

This tour hands down! While I respect the OP for having at least backed her critisisms of the show with specific reasoning (which is more than a lot of "new posters" on here) Call me cynical but I can't help but think many people have come here recently just to stir things up.:dozey:

Anyway-reasons why I feel the new live show is bar far the band's best

LENGTH-I know some people still have a problem with the length of the set, but I feel the band is, at the very least, trying to improve in this regard, and at best, have put this complaint to rest. To be fair, I always felt this complaint was unfounded during Twisted Logic given the size of the band's catalog. It's unfair to compare them to veteran acts that have 20-30 years of material to draw from. (and are also generally more expensive) Coldplay are one of very few major headliners I can think of who's top priced tickets have a face value under $100 U.S. 20-22 songs (which is what the new set is) is to me, very reasonable for a band with four LP's in their catalog

JON & GUY-these two are much better stage performers now then they've ever been in the past. They've both really stepped up IMHO

CHRIS' VOICE-Much better then either time I saw them during Twisted Logic

NEW SONGS- VLVODAAHF is my favorite LP of the 4, so any show with music from that record is cool in my book.

Once again, I in no way mean to belittle anyone's opinion, but I love the new shw and would take it over the old one any day.

eramsay1

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Here are 2 videos from tuesdays show. The quality is pretty good thanks to my hubby!

Lost!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etMf6yuc99s[/media]

Fix You
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZLSCb_NWew[/media]

I had seen Coldplay in Cincinnati , in Chicago, and in Omaha on the X&Y tour. The energy for this concert was palpable, it felt great to be there, like you "really" were witnessing something special. Looking up at those butterflies during lovers was almost an out of body experience...

asnigro

Coldplaya'
Coldplayer
"So I assume a lot of you went to shows for the X&Y album correct? Well which tour did you like better"

This tour hands down! While I respect the OP for having at least backed her critisisms of the show with specific reasoning (which is more than a lot of "new posters" on here) Call me cynical but I can't help but think many people have come here recently just to stir things up.:dozey:

Anyway-reasons why I feel the new live show is bar far the band's best

LENGTH-I know some people still have a problem with the length of the set, but I feel the band is, at the very least, trying to improve in this regard, and at best, have put this complaint to rest. To be fair, I always felt this complaint was unfounded during Twisted Logic given the size of the band's catalog. It's unfair to compare them to veteran acts that have 20-30 years of material to draw from. (and are also generally more expensive) Coldplay are one of very few major headliners I can think of who's top priced tickets have a face value under $100 U.S. 20-22 songs (which is what the new set is) is to me, very reasonable for a band with four LP's in their catalog

JON & GUY-these two are much better stage performers now then they've ever been in the past. They've both really stepped up IMHO

CHRIS' VOICE-Much better then either time I saw them during Twisted Logic

NEW SONGS- VLVODAAHF is my favorite LP of the 4, so any show with music from that record is cool in my book.

Once again, I in no way mean to belittle anyone's opinion, but I love the new shw and would take it over the old one any day.
Great insight fakfak. To me on the Twisted Logix/X&Y tour, that intro with the countdown for Square One and then the performance of Square One was just mind blowing. Then during the same show after completely blowing my mind what did they do about an hour later??? Completely blow my F&^$ing mind again by playing a version of clocks that was longer, changed tempo, and incorporated the arenas ciruclar lighting effects into play (at least newer arenas with that type of digital display). I know Chris Martin was just swinging a light on a rope around during Fix You on that tour, but damn if I wasnt moved by it!

fakfak

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
It just seems to me that there are several specific little things the band is doing this tour that seem to me like attempted responses to critisisms the've gotten as a live act in the past, and IMHO that's a good thing.

It could also have a lot to do with the fact that for me outdoor amphitheater shows pretty much suck (sound is never good, seating plan usually sucks), so I much prefer seeing the band indoors.

Kspice

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Ok, does anyone know what song they played for the competition winners? I heard it was warning sign and then a B-side. Does anyone know what B-side it was?

Thanks

-Kurt

Jenjie

Coldplaying Founder
Founder
Coldplayer
Ok, does anyone know what song they played for the competition winners? I heard it was warning sign and then a B-side. Does anyone know what B-side it was?

Thanks

-Kurt

Even Roadie #42 doesn't know!!!

The soundcheck then opens its doors to a bunch of competition winners who get treated to an impromptu Warning Sign along with a totally unexpected track from the album sessions that I've never even heard them play before - I couldn't even tell you what it was called! Talk about exclusive...

gvargas

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
Really great pics! It was great to see all the shots and kind of relive the moment again. I love the butterflies...nice shot of Chris and the butterflies. You got a lot of really nice ones of the band. Their is one of Will that is especially nice.

What kind of camera did you have. It looked like you were able to get in close. My little one got busted recently and am looking to replace it and get one for concerts and such.

I loved that Chris's guitar said Danza! I noticed that during the concert!