22-Jul-09: Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, Houston, TX - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setli

L

LiquidSky

Jonny was dancing! I was so happy to see that!!!! My videos came didn't come as near as that!! and Chris was laughing as people were going "ouh! ouh!" on the Billy Jean part haha! I had to control myself not to jump on stage!!!! haha:lol::embarassed:

Jenjie

Coldplaying Founder
Founder
Coldplayer
Coldplay’s Viva La Vida Tour Justifies Grammy Domination

This is Coldplay’s year. Long time fans of the British band’s melodic pop tunes have been able to celebrate the success of Viva La Vida, and the previous three beloved albums, on this year’s tour that seems almost endless. The thing about Coldplay that keeps reeling listeners in, is the consistency of innovation in their artistic rock that relentlessly reflects any and all streams of emotion.

In 1999, the popish breakout single, “Yellow” from their debut album Parachutes, put Coldplay on the map. Later, we were introduced to “Clocks,” “The Scientist” and “In My Place” from their second album, A Rush of Blood to the Head. A deep soulful album, X & Y, followed up in 2005, giving us the hits “Fix You” and “Speed of Sound.” Then, most recently, Viva La Vida or Death With All His Friends, provided a breath of fresh air to Coldplay fans with a feel good album full of uplifting and inspirational tracks like “Violet Hill,” “Lost,” “Lovers in Japan” and “Strawberry Swing.” It must be said that if you have not given “Strawberry Swing” a listen at this point, you must lend your ears for a quick minute of your day and enjoy.

Coldplay brings more than sound to a show. They bring real entertainment and a beautiful performance. For a second, one might think a Coldplay concert would be boring, with all the emotional “slow” songs. However, the thousands of fans at the sold out show on July 22, at The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion in Houston would say that it’s just not so. From the large yellow balloons floating in the air and crowd surfing during “Yellow,” to the bursts of confetti throughout “Viva La Vida,” to the crisp and riveting up close video of Chris Martin rocking on the piano, there was no denying that this show was all about having fun.

Twice during the two hours of play time, the entire band – Martin, Jonny Buckland, Guy Berryman and Will Champion – traveled into the crowd to perform in the middle of their adoring fans. This kind of intimate surprise is rare during shows at larger venues housing thousands of passionate fans. Coldplay reached out and kept it fresh. Another treat for fans included a special cover of the late Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean.” Thousands sang along in tribute.

Martin’s vocals were almost flawless and quite similar to studio perfection. He danced and spun around free – arms flowing in the air – as he normally does during songs like “Lost” and “Strawberry Swing.” There is one message this band exudes through their perfection and brilliant execution in performance, and the message is clear – this band was meant to tour.

As the show ended and fans flooded to the exit, each person was given a free CD with live tracks from previous shows. The CD included live versions of “Strawberry Swing,” “Clocks,” “Glass of Water” and more.

Sadly, Martin mentions at the end of the show that it may be a few years until we see them again. If a few years is what it will take for another Grammy dominating album and top notch entertaining world tour … well, we’ll just have to accept the wait.

-Melissa Kabilio

http://envymags.com/2009/07/coldplays-viva-la-vida-tour-justifies-grammy-domination/

venuslovebug2

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
This is very, very late, but I recently posted an edited video called Coldplay in 10 on my blog and it's a summary of this show and the Dallas one. It's on my blog at http://austingirlmusicguide.wordpress.com/.

Also, I finally finished uploading ALL of the concert videos to You Tube (Dallas and Houston). Check out, http://www.youtube.com/user/AustinGirlMusicGuide to see full length videos and my personal You Tube channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/virginiarh22, to see all the snippets and short clips.

kjones31

Glowing in the dark
Coldplayer
Dang I guess i missed this bandwagon! But I was there as well, I was up on the lawn next to the stairs by the C-stage! It was crazy, when the band was running up there to play! I was sooo close to them that if there weren't people there to stop us i could have touched them(swoon)! It was the best concert that I have ever been to! The night was incredible with all the thunder and lightning surrounding us, but never any rain! It was such an incredible atmosphere, and I don't think anybody came away from that concert sad or thought it was mediocre! I loved their tribute to "Houston boys and girls" This was one incredible concert that I will never get over! Next time i am forking up the money for the best seats in the house!!!!!!!!!!!