22-Nov-08: Salt Lake City - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

Pris

Oh, to be that bass.....
Coldplayer
were any coldplayers going to this gig???? :thinking:

SamH

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
No surprises. I was hoping they would play Glass of Water but they left it out :(

It was a great show!

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
Coldplay keeps crowd guessing

COLDPLAY, SLEEPERCAR and JON HOPKINS, EnergySolutions Arena, Saturday
It was anyone's guess where Coldplay would pop up at the EnergySolutions Arena on Saturday.

Sure the band — vocalist/keyboardist Chris Martin, guitarist Jonny Buckland, drummer Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion — cranked it out on the main stage, but they also grouped together on one of the stage extensions and even appeared in the middle of the crowd in the back corner of the arena.

Regardless where the band played, the nearly sold-out audience loved every note and nuance.

Not only did the band play the hits "Speed of Sound," a condensed version of "Talk," "Clocks" and the encore-ender "Yellow," but also pumped out "Chinese Sleep Chant," "Lost" and "Strawberry Swing."

Martin danced and jumped around like a frenzied Dionysus as he led the band and the audience through a communal journey of music and energy. His voice, including his smooth falsetto, was in top form as he hit the highs in "Violet Hill," "Fix You" and "The Hardest Part."

"God Put a Smile Upon Your Face," which segued into the aforementioned rendition of "Talk," were performed from the stage extension. And while Champion didn't have a full drum kit set up, he played an electric drum pad.

During the acoustic set played in the back of the arena, the band went through "The Scientist" and "Death Will Never Conquer," the latter sung by Champion.
One of the biggest cheers came during "Viva La Vida," which was played on the main stage. Champion traded his drums for massive tympanies and the audience became part of the show during the sing-a-long chant at the end of the song.

Throughout the evening, live videos of the band and other abstract images were projected onto six massive orbs and two video screens that hung about the arena.

During each dynamic song, Buckland's crisp guitar leads soared on top of the booming foundation provided by Berryman and Champion.

The main-stage backdrop also served as a video screen and gave all in the arena some up-close-and-personal-time with Martin and the boys.

Opening the evening was the restless southern-tinged tunes from Sleepercar and the chill mix from DJ Jon Hopkins, which got the audience hot and ready for Coldplay.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705265400,00.html

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
Well, I am fresh off the concert high. Meaning my ears are ringing and my throat hurts, and it is wonderful. Brad and I ventured up to SLC to see Coldplay tonight. They are one of those bands that I've always wanted to see, since I like them, and I've heard that they put on a great show. Oh, and I love concerts. We even managed to get a few shaky pictures. When we got there, we started walking up to our seats. And we kept climbing, and climbing, and climbing till we were three rows from the top. That's what I get for not splurging I guess. But I figured we'd just settle in, and I was glad that for once in my life I actually remembered to bring binoculars. But do you know my husband? Before we'd been in our seats five minutes, he was back down talking to an usher, and all of a sudden he was flagging me down and we were led to new seats. The handicap seats. So really, really good seats (compared to where we were). We got to sit on our own little platform with the cushy kind of folding chairs, and railing to rest our feet on. It was sublime.

Concert highlights for any of you interested:
-First of all there was the piano. I've never met a piano at a concert I didn't like.
-There was a little stage set up on the floor near the back that they played on for awhile.
-He was seriously funny.
-At one point they all walked off the stage, only to reappear in walking up the stairs in the audience and coming to a little stand in the middle of a bunch of seats. There they had some guitars and a harmonica waiting, and they played there in the audience for a couple songs.

http://hokehub.blogspot.com/2008/11/coldplay-concert.html

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
Oh my gosh, I am dying. DYING over the greatness of tonight's concert. What can I say about one of my favorite bands ever??? Let's start by saying they don't disappoint!!

The concert started out with Violet Hill. Aaaah, such a lovely song. The band was so full of life and put so much energy into the entire performance. Chris's piano solos were truly amazing. I loved EVERY minute of it.

But here was the highlight of the night for me.

Viva la Vida came on about half way through the concert. Of course the crowd went hysterical. So in our hysterics my husband points to the exit/entrance gate RIGHT by our seats. Um, why is the roadie setting up ONE solo microphone?

Um, why is he bringing an acoustic guitar and setting it by the microphone?

Oh no.

OH YES!!

Shortly after Coldplay finished Viva La Vida, they hop off stage and come UP INTO THE CROWD, litterally 10 feet away from us.

I am hyperventilating at this point. They are RIGHT THERE! RIGHT THERE!! I can see the sweat on their faces!!

The crowd quiets down at which point Chris Martin sings The Scientist, acoustic style. Yeah, I promise it doesn't get better than that.

It was SO SO killer. For 3 minutes I had front row seats to see Coldplay. And Chris Martin's sweaty face:)

After Chris sang, Will Champion sang a little number (not sure what the song was) while Chris Martin played the harmonica.

When they were done, Chris tossed the harmonica into the crowd and I.......

...didn't catch it.

But oh well, it was still so awesome.

I am a groupie. What can I say?

I was star struck.

Freakin' Coldplay, how I love you!!

http://rebekahwestover.blogspot.com/2008/11/hello-coldplay-i-love-you.html

Mimixxx

If we could float away...
Coldplayer
Coldplay rocks but show is 'anticlimactic'

For one of the largest crowds at EnergySolutions Arena in recent memory, the British rock quartet Coldplay packed as much punch as they could in a surprisingly short set Saturday night.

The show aspired to be one of the biggest spectacles Utah had ever seen, as frontman Chris Martin said himself during the show. While it ultimately fell short of fulfilling Martin's prediction, it was nevertheless a performance with moments that would make even Bono envious.

The 100-minute show, with two encores, certainly showed a band trying hard to become the biggest band in the world. There was an elaborate stage production featuring six revolving globes and two video screens high in the rafters that showed images that were more like artistic concert film footage than the standard visuals of the lead singer singing. And near the end of the set, thousands of flourescent paper butterflies, reflected in the stage's lights, floated onto the crowd that created one of the most dazzling scenes of any concert this year.

But some problems popped up. For all of Martin's amiability, the band seemed to try too hard. The concert was bookended by pretentious recorded classical music accompanied by rising and falling curtains. Some of the more intimate songs, such as "Yellow" and "In My Place" were transformed into bombastic anthems that didn't suit the spirit of the simple love songs on record. Compounding the situation was the notorious sound problems of the arena which muddied the more orchestral numbers of the band like "Viva La Vida" and "Politik."

Martin was talkative, but it was difficult deciphering what he was saying. And while drummer Guy Champion :)dozey:) was an amazing, hard-hitting musician, sidemen Jonny Buckland and Guy Berryman showed neither the personality nor the stagemanship that elevated the rest of the band.

That is not to say that the show was disappointing. Martin is a frontman in the best sense of the word, when he isn't playing piano or guitar. He frequently twirled around in circles with arms flailing, stopping only to thrust his fingers into the air as if he was the conductor of both his band and the adoring audience. The huge backdrop behind the stage changed regularly between video screens, complete darkness, the album cover and the slogan "Viva." Rather than staying in place for the entirety of the show, the band regularly used two side stages that extended into the audience. In one of the most unusual but fun parts of the concert, the band went to seats near the rear of the arena and performed two acoustic songs, including the gorgeous "The Scientist," while surprised fans surrounded them.

For all of the buildup, the concert seemed to end too soon, as the classical music blared and the house lights came up. It was as if the crowd had been promised a life-changing experience, but in the end, the show was anticlimactic.

http://www.sltrib.com/entertainment/ci_11057306

slccoldplay

SLC Rocker
Coldplayer
Please tell me there's a place online where I can download the live music from last nights (11/22) concert in Salt Lake. I went, was within 30 feet of Chris Martin and couldn't believe how awesome they sounded live!

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
no recordings yet but keep an eye on the first post for a full set of videos soon ;)

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
Coldplay rocks but show is anticlimactic

For one of the largest crowds at EnergySolutions Arena in recent memory, the British rock quartet Coldplay packed as much punch as they could in a surprisingly short set Saturday night.

The show aspired to be one of the biggest spectacles Utah had ever seen, as frontman Chris Martin said himself during the show. While it ultimately fell short of fulfilling Martin's prediction, it was nevertheless a performance with moments that would make even Bono envious.

The 100-minute show, with two encores, certainly showed a band trying hard to become the biggest band in the world. There was an elaborate stage production featuring six revolving globes and two video screens high in the rafters that showed images that were more like artistic concert film footage than the standard visuals of the lead singer singing. And near the end of the set, thousands of flourescent paper butterflies, reflected in the stage's lights, floated onto the crowd that created one of the most dazzling scenes of any concert this year.

But some problems popped up. For all of Martin's amiability, the band seemed to try too hard. The concert was bookended by pretentious recorded classical music accompanied by rising and falling curtains. Some of the more intimate songs, such as "Yellow" and "In My Place" were transformed into bombastic anthems that didn't suit the spirit of the simple love songs on record. Compounding the situation was the notorious sound problems of the arena which muddied the more orchestral numbers of the band like "Viva La Vida" and "Politik." Martin was talkative, but it was difficult deciphering what he was saying. And while drummer Guy Champion was an amazing, hard-hitting musician, sidemen Jonny Buckland and Guy Berryman showed neither the personality nor the stagemanship that elevated the rest of the band.

That is not to say that the show was disappointing. Martin is a frontman in the best sense of the word, when he isn't playing piano or guitar. He frequently twirled around in circles with arms flailing, stopping only to thrust his fingers into the air as if he was the conductor of both his band and the adoring audience. The huge backdrop behind the stage changed regularly between video screens, complete darkness, the album cover and the slogan "Viva." Rather than staying in place for the entirety of the show, the band regularly used two side stages that extended into the audience. In one of the most unusual but fun parts of the concert, the band went to seats near the rear of the arena and performed two acoustic songs, including the gorgeous "The Scientist," while surprised fans surrounded them.

For all of the buildup, the concert seemed to end too soon, as the classical music blared and the house lights came up. It was as if the crowd had been promised a life-changing experience, but in the end, the show was anticlimactic.

http://www.sltrib.com/entertainment/ci_11057306

Ann_20

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I just got back to Montana after the drive from SLC, and I got to say that the 8 hour drive was more than worth it! The concert was absolutely amazing! The whole crowd was on their feet pretty much the entire time and the cheers were deafening at the start of every new song. Chris chatted up the crowd a few times. When sitting down to his piano on the B stage, he made a comment about one of the male audience members making a pass at him, but being happy to take whatever he could get. And then when playin in the back section of the arena he also made a comment about how there are a lot of pretty girls in Utah, and that there's a reason that the usually stay on the main stage so they don't get distracted.

My friends and I were lucky enough to have pretty good seats and were within a few meters of the band at times. We even got Guy to do a double take and almost crack a smile with our screaming kiss blowing antics.

Overall it was one of the best nights of my life, and I didn't find anything about the show anticlimatic.

Ann_20

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Thanks! I got a few that weren't too blurry, but since Chris never holds still it was hard sometimes! My friend has a much better camera than I do, so I'll probably update with her pictures later

I think these are a few of my best