23-Jul-08: Chicago - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [original date 04-aug]

ashley.

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
hello, i've been lurking for a while and never found a need to post until now.....just thought you guys might enjoy this a bit. i went to the show last night and was fairly happy with my seats.....but ECSTATIC when coldplay came RIGHT IN FRONT of us to play! none of my friends believe how close i was.....but chris fist pounded my boyfriend like 3 times (the first time the camera is on his arm, he was shaking his hand)!!! i was so jealous! and so happy! and i felt super awkward with thousands of people facing towards me! what a surprise...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sbdgL3p6u0[/media]

ashley.

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Was he the guy in the blue shirt that chris told to fuck off?!?!
and welcome !

what?!? no!!!! he was just like "hey man!" and then chris said hi and kept laughing and fist pounding him. i think he did it multiple times for the sake of the video shooting.

icedude2010

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Wait... Nm. This is the wrong thread LOL. I was talking about the night b4.
This guy was like touching chris and stuff and chris was like " hey man. Hey fuck off."
joking of course... At least I think that hAppened

illini

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I remember right after the fist pounding Chris said something like "it's like the Barack Obama fist pound..."

Good times.

Zu

Berrylover
Coldplayer
Texas, Mel and Lori, A HUGE AWWWWW TO the 3 of you for having such a good encounter!! I havent seen the sign, can you point me out to the right direction of a photo of it? Hehe..:embarassed: Im so glad for you girls!!! :) :D

gvargas

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
Wait... Nm. This is the wrong thread LOL. I was talking about the night b4.
This guy was like touching chris and stuff and chris was like " hey man. Hey fuck off."
joking of course... At least I think that hAppened

I wasn't sure if I heard what I thought on Tuesday...but I guess you heard it too. I was like, what? When I heard it, I thought I might have heard it wrong. Chris telling someone to fuck off? I guess I wasn't dreaming...I was kind of confused at why he would say something like that.

He was swearing a bit that night.

icedude2010

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I wasn't sure if I heard what I thought on Tuesday...but I guess you heard it too. I was like, what? When I heard it, I thought I might have heard it wrong. Chris telling someone to fuck off? I guess I wasn't dreaming...I was kind of confused at why he would say something like that.

He was swearing a bit that night.
LOL yeah he was... Excited that night :)
I would be honored if chris told me to fuck off.

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
Viva la Vida con Coldplay

With their fourth studio album firmly entrenched on the charts, Coldplay easily filled the United Center with fans for their two-night concert stand this week, a far cry from their last relatively intimate appearance at The Metro. The enthusiasm we saw from the Chicago stop on their worldwide Viva la Vida tour is arguably a testament to Coldplay’s longevity: ponder all you want about the quality of the music, but a whole lot of people still like the band.

The 90-minute set mainly drew music from their newest album, but Chris Martin and co. still managed to fit in all of the band’s former singles, like “Fix You,” “The Scientist,” “Speed of Sound,” and of course, “Clocks” and “Yellow.” Although we think their recent material is drifting away from their music’s main draw – the catchy hooks and the guilty pleasure of singing along to Martin’s nonsensical lyrics – Coldplay has reached the point as a band where they have built a solid musical catalog, combining old music with new to deliver an enjoyable, feel-good performance.

The Tuesday and Wednesday night shows were also used to record bits for Coldplay’s upcoming “Lost!” video -- and maybe a concert film? -- with Martin claiming that the Chicago shows had been specifically chosen for filming, making everyone in the audience feel very spay-shal. It was certainly a pleasurable concert, so Coldplay seems to be sticking with what works: write and perform music for the fans, and they will be happy.

[Ed. note: Admittedly I think Coldplay can be a tad overly earnest, but I happened to see last night's show too and have to admit the band knows how to put on a rock and/or roll spectacle that can send chills down even this grizzled old vet's spine. It's hard to deny the power of a stadium full of people singing "Yellow" with unabashed glee. Also, I certainly didn't mind hearing the interesting and powerfully propulsive "Lost!" twice while the band got a good take.]

http://chicagoist.com/2008/07/24/review_coldplays_viva_la_vida_tour.php

Chavi

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
hello, i've been lurking for a while and never found a need to post until now.....just thought you guys might enjoy this a bit. i went to the show last night and was fairly happy with my seats.....but ECSTATIC when coldplay came RIGHT IN FRONT of us to play! none of my friends believe how close i was.....but chris fist pounded my boyfriend like 3 times (the first time the camera is on his arm, he was shaking his hand)!!! i was so jealous! and so happy! and i felt super awkward with thousands of people facing towards me! what a surprise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sbdgL3p6u0
nice !!!! :)

Texas, Mel and Lori, A HUGE AWWWWW TO the 3 of you for having such a good encounter!! I havent seen the sign, can you point me out to the right direction of a photo of it? Hehe..:embarassed: Im so glad for you girls!!! :) :D
the signs can be found here http://coldplaying.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2459490&postcount=468

gvargas

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
I'd be shocked :eek:...I'm sorry...maybe a bit disalusioned too...

I'm not used to that kind of joke...

he was definately excited...did you go to both concerts?

icedude2010

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'd be shocked :eek:...I'm sorry...maybe a bit disalusioned too...

I'm not used to that kind of joke...

he was definately excited...did you go to both concerts?
yea LOL I'd be pretty stunned.
But no, I only went to the Tuesday show. I drove up from indianapolitik that morn and went back that night. I wanted to go to the 2 be show so bad after the 1 st

BananaHammock

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Does anyone know the name of the DJ who performed before the 'opening act'?

He was great!!

Also, as a long time Coldplay fan, it hurts me to say that this most recent show is probably the bottom on the list of 6 other coldplay shows i've been too. I can't blame the band too much....the United Center is the worst possible place to put any concert.

I wish they had performed more of their earlier work.

Oh, and people need to put down their phones and not spend the whole show texting about how great the show is (that they're not watching).

End Vent

TwistedLogic91

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Does anyone know the name of the DJ who performed before the 'opening act'?

He was great!!

Also, as a long time Coldplay fan, it hurts me to say that this most recent show is probably the bottom on the list of 6 other coldplay shows i've been too. I can't blame the band too much....the United Center is the worst possible place to put any concert.

I wish they had performed more of their earlier work.

Oh, and people need to put down their phones and not spend the whole show texting about how great the show is (that they're not watching).

End Vent

I have to agree with you on that.
The United Center really isn't a good place at all.
I was hoping maybe the Allstate Arena!