27-Jul-08: Pemberton - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

Jenjie

Coldplaying Founder
Founder
Coldplayer
Hey everyone. Sorry for taking a while to come on here.. I just got back like a few hours ago.
Traffic was deadly!

Anyways, the festival was terrible. They just gotta work out the kinks for next year but overall it was definitely worth it.

Coldplay was amazing though! Chris showed a lot of energy. Guy and Will seemed out of it for some of the concert. The acoustic part of the setlist was amazing I'm not good at posting reviews but I am good at posting pictures and videos. :)
Anyways, I got to go get my things organized then I'll come back here if that's alright. And from what I can remember, I'll try to post the setlist:

Life In Technicolour
Violet Hill
Clocks
In My Place
Viva La Vida
Fix You
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
Speed Of Sound
Yellow
Lost!
The Scientist
Politik
Lovers in Japan
Death And All His Friends

I might be missing a song or two. I'm not sure... I'll be back though!
Bye :)
yay!! you win the prize for first one back :D that's my first fan review for Wiki :)

and you filled in one of the missing songs from the setlist we had earlier. one more to find :D

coldpatrix

I Ran Away rules
Coldplayer
Update!

Life In Technicolour
Violet Hill
Clocks
In My Place
Viva La Vida
Fix You
?
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
Speed Of Sound
Yellow
Lost! (Acoustic)
The Scientist (Acoustic)
-----
Politik
Lovers In Japan
Death And All His Friends

jnspiro

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
First-time poster - here's the correct and complete setlist from last night.

Life in Technicolor
Violet Hill
Clocks
In My Place
Viva La Vida
Fix You
Chinese Sleep Chant (band playing close together, right side of stage)
God Put a Smile Upon Your Face (techno version, right side of stage)
Speed of Sound
Yellow
Lost! (regular version - not acoustic)
The Scientist (acoustic, b-stage beside sound booth)
Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic, b-stage, Will on vocals)
techno interlude
Politik
Lovers in Japan
Death and All His Friends
The Escapist (outro)

Great show!

cheers

Mimixxx

If we could float away...
Coldplayer
^ Thanks :D

Coldplay shows solidarity in Pemberton's dust

While the rap fanatics retreated, everyone else rushed forward for Coldplay, whose brand of triumphant pop is tailor-made to the scale of an outdoor mega-festival at night. Lead singer Chris Martin was in fine form, nailing all his soaring parts and bounding giddily across the stage, ever the endearing, self-deprecating fool. When the Englishmen launched into “Viva La Vida”, he seemed to want to leap out of his skin, basking in the peculiar satisfaction that must come when 40,000 strangers are singing your own words back to you.

If you looked closely, you could see he was wearing bandannas, too, wrapped as arm-bands on his jacket, as if in solidarity with every dust-caked survivor below.

Full article here: http://www.straight.com/article-155541/coldplay-show-solidarity-pembertons-dust

Mimixxx

If we could float away...
Coldplayer
I'm surprised they did the little acoustic set at a festival, there's about 39,000 people that can't see :p

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iPaOFWeEPP0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iPaOFWeEPP0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Texasluvsjonny

Jonny's personal fluffer
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'm guessing no magic balls at outdoor venues? Did they use the big screen more?

englishrose

Concert junkie
Coldplayer
We got back about two hours ago.
I'll do my report soon but I have to give myself a chance to start functioning properly again...suffice to say that Coldplay were fucking amazing...
*collapses*

Malcolm-Edge

Green Light, 7/11
Coldplayer
I'm guessing no magic balls at outdoor venues? Did they use the big screen more?
Oh yes there was one.

I agree with those who said it was a great show. It was blew me away, no other show will Jay-Z and Death Cab ever open for Coldplay again.

I have hundreds of complaints about the festival its self. And stage set up and poor techs. The latter of which Coldplay felt the worse of. Treble dropping and going up was annoying.

Traffic....you people have no idea what the traffic was like, which also affected the performance. Performer showing up late which was behind me in traffic.

StephBerryman

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
^maybe that's why the other poster said that Will and Guy seemed out of it?

Wow...how bad was the traffic. after the concert in LA, 1.7 miles took 1 hr!

Malcolm-Edge

Green Light, 7/11
Coldplayer
^maybe that's why the other poster said that Will and Guy seemed out of it?

Wow...how bad was the traffic. after the concert in LA, 1.7 miles took 1 hr!
Will look right into it, Guy seemed normal-ish. As headliners I think Coldplay got a helicopter in to avoid the line. Other bands didnt. I think we were infront of Wintersleep on the way in.

They need to widen the road next year 4 lanes is essential as it would have cut wait times in half.

The show was brilliant though, aside from drunk people.

Took us 3 hours to get into Pemberton (5KM) then after the concert it was 2 hour wait to the airport (5KM) and another 2 out. Then 6 hours to whistler (30km)

englishrose

Concert junkie
Coldplayer
^^:laugh3: .......:stunned:wait are u okay?
Never better! :D

Oh yes there was one.

I agree with those who said it was a great show. It was blew me away, no other show will Jay-Z and Death Cab ever open for Coldplay again.

I have hundreds of complaints about the festival its self. And stage set up and poor techs. The latter of which Coldplay felt the worse of. Treble dropping and going up was annoying.

Traffic....you people have no idea what the traffic was like, which also affected the performance. Performer showing up late which was behind me in traffic.
Took us 4 hours to get 10 km. I'm not exaggerating.

Report coming...

Malcolm-Edge

Green Light, 7/11
Coldplayer
We walked to the airport to get our car and went the other way around. Long way, but we liked it cause we were actually moving at 100KM.

Overall music was great. I hope next year we get an Irish foursome. And different stage positions.

englishrose

Concert junkie
Coldplayer
I'll try and keep this short-ish...apologies in advance if I write you a novel :p
After waiting in a line for an hour and a bit, I managed to get third row, right in front of center stage. I'm only 5' tall, so I couldn't really see unless I contorted myself but I managed. Vampire Weekend was excellent--they were defnitely one of the highlights of the festival for me. N.E.R.D followed them--that was hard to endure. They were shit. Plus the crowd started pushing and moshing during their set, and didn't back down afterwards...I ended up being shoved back a couple rows and right to the left edge of the enclosure-whatsit. I ended up being on the rail, though, so I had a better view than when I started. Death Cab would have been great had the bass not been about 500 times too loud--I swear it rearranged my insides, and I literally could not hear a thing the singer was doing. Oh well. Then Jay-Z came on, and I'm amazed to say that I actually enjoyed it--a lot. Normally I avoid rap like the plague but he did an excellent show.

And then. Ah, Coldplay. I swear, from the very first note of Life In Technicolour to the last one of the Escapist, I forgot about the copious amounts of pain I was in from being crushed chest-first into the railing by however many thousands of people...:stunned: I had a pretty excellent view, considering. I could see about two-thirds of the stage clear as day, but unfortunately Guy was on the third that I couldn't see the entire time...
They were incredible. Despite the hiccups--Jonny's guitars sounded really sharp throughout the concert, but he managed to cover it up pretty well. Whoever tuned them will have got the sack. The setlist has already been posted, so I don't need to tell you how amazing it was...the crowd was great, singing through the whole of Yellow, VLV and Fix You, and I sang along to the rest. :p Chris replaced a couple of lyrics with lines about festival traffic, and about halfway through Lost!...he got, um, a bit carried away with his dancing and...he fell over! God, it was priceless. He jumped right back up, but he didn't quip about it once he was back at the mic, which I thought he would. Maybe he was too embarassed or something. I feel a bit bad for laughing...
After Lost! they came offstage and walked through the fenced-off pathway thinger towards the middle/back of the audience. I was literally two feet away from them. I just about died...the Scientist acoustic was really lovely, and then Will sang Death Will Never Conquer, which was also lovely. After which they walked back up to the stage, meaning I died again...
Politik was amazing. I loved the piano outtro (does anyone know what it is?). Lovers was a really big higlight for me--they did the butterfly confetti, and I caught some...it looked so pretty falling all over the stage as they were singing. They finished with DAAHF, and then it was over...truly, truly amazing. It definitely made that night one of the best of my life, and I've got the bruises to show for it...

A RUSH OF VIDA

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'll try and keep this short-ish...apologies in advance if I write you a novel :p
After waiting in a line for an hour and a bit, I managed to get third row, right in front of center stage. I'm only 5' tall, so I couldn't really see unless I contorted myself but I managed. Vampire Weekend was excellent--they were defnitely one of the highlights of the festival for me. N.E.R.D followed them--that was hard to endure. They were shit. Plus the crowd started pushing and moshing during their set, and didn't back down afterwards...I ended up being shoved back a couple rows and right to the left edge of the enclosure-whatsit. I ended up being on the rail, though, so I had a better view than when I started. Death Cab would have been great had the bass not been about 500 times too loud--I swear it rearranged my insides, and I literally could not hear a thing the singer was doing. Oh well. Then Jay-Z came on, and I'm amazed to say that I actually enjoyed it--a lot. Normally I avoid rap like the plague but he did an excellent show.

And then. Ah, Coldplay. I swear, from the very first note of Life In Technicolour to the last one of the Escapist, I forgot about the copious amounts of pain I was in from being crushed chest-first into the railing by however many thousands of people...:stunned: I had a pretty excellent view, considering. I could see about two-thirds of the stage clear as day, but unfortunately Guy was on the third that I couldn't see the entire time...
They were incredible. Despite the hiccups--Jonny's guitars sounded really sharp throughout the concert, but he managed to cover it up pretty well. Whoever tuned them will have got the sack. The setlist has already been posted, so I don't need to tell you how amazing it was...the crowd was great, singing through the whole of Yellow, VLV and Fix You, and I sang along to the rest. :p Chris replaced a couple of lyrics with lines about festival traffic, and about halfway through Lost!...he got, um, a bit carried away with his dancing and...he fell over! God, it was priceless. He jumped right back up, but he didn't quip about it once he was back at the mic, which I thought he would. Maybe he was too embarassed or something. I feel a bit bad for laughing...
After Lost! they came offstage and walked through the fenced-off pathway thinger towards the middle/back of the audience. I was literally two feet away from them. I just about died...the Scientist acoustic was really lovely, and then Will sang Death Will Never Conquer, which was also lovely. After which they walked back up to the stage, meaning I died again...
Politik was amazing. I loved the piano outtro (does anyone know what it is?). Lovers was a really big higlight for me--they did the butterfly confetti, and I caught some...it looked so pretty falling all over the stage as they were singing. They finished with DAAHF, and then it was over...truly, truly amazing. It definitely made that night one of the best of my life, and I've got the bruises to show for it...
very cool......thanks for posting and glad u had fun