27-Oct-08: East Rutherford, NJ (2nd night)- Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Review/Photos

Christa42

Irresponsible baby clutching onto aeroplane wing
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
i am still on my coldplay high. never want to come down

LeMansChamp

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Ok so I finally have all the videos and photos up...

I don't know how to post the vids, so I'll link to my account again. I just added their touching rendition of The Hardest Part with Postcards from Far Away and Viva La Vida... sorry about the crap camera work.

http://http://www.youtube.com/user/Lemanschamp

And here's some of the photos I took:

CRYSTAL

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer

Hmmm.... Chris loved this sign...:)

My next mission is Philly now...

Christa42

Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
finally, Politik. yes, that is Cooky and i screaming oh my god i really uploaded it

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTVpI5Qw5U4"]YouTube - Coldplay Politik IZOD 10/27/08[/ame]

Christa42

Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Hi joe!

if anyone has pics of people holding signs could you please post them here and Jersey sign Gang thread. i have some that Halokiti sent to me and will try to upload. Thanks

CookyMnstr

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Good job! You were so steady:clap:
How did you put up with that annoying screaming all night????:rolleyes: (sorry!)

Christa42

Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
cause i luv ya! so happy to be withsome one at a coldplay concert that feels the way i do, everyone i ever went with....... just..... backed....... away .......slowly...... from .....me........ horrified hahahahahah

CookyMnstr

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
well, i was too busy trying to get closer.to.the.stage.:laugh3:

Can you believe it was 1wk ago today???:cry: It seems like ages ago.

Christa42

Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
omg it was. we need more now

CookyMnstr

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Hey, we made it to 60pages!:eek: (wasn't that your goal Sean?) We talk to much! lol

CRYSTAL

Coldplayer
There's no doubt to me that Chris liked New Jersey very much because of the reception they had here.

I know they will come again because he said that see you next year in between talking once.I heard it.

He even changed the lyrics of songs a lot of times about New Jersey too.

Well i am looking forward for next year to see them!

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
Change. That word has been thrown around a lot lately, especially in the past couple weeks leading up to Tuesday's election. The night after Chris Martin pretty much endorsed Barack Obama at the end of his performance on "Saturday Night Live," Coldplay proved that change is exactly what it needed this time around and that it is still the biggest band in the world right now.

The Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J., isn't the greatest venue for a concert; it's an ugly, bland and steep building, but this didn't hinder the show's impact at all. Coldplay filled the room with light and color.

As the lights grew dim, the sounds of Jay-Z and Austrain composer Johann Strauss blared from the loud speakers, emphasizing the R&B and classical feel to Coldplay's multi-platinum album "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends."

Hit after hit filled Coldplay's set, and not a moment was wasted here, which isn't hard for Martin, who thrives on being the center of attention and keeping the crowd on its feet. Coldplay did not hesitate to pull out the big guns early, beginning with three mega-hits - "Violet Hill," "Clocks" and "In My Place" - the latter getting the crowd to erupt in an enormous sing-a-long. Even the light show added an extra effect to the trite singles like "Speed of Sound," which the band played in complete darkness save for black-lights and giant glowing globes hanging above the stage.

Say what you want about Coldplay, but there's no beating these guys when it comes to playing music that reaches the rafters in an arena, both metaphorically and literally.

After the most massive performances of the night - "Viva La Vida" and "Lost!" - the band members immediately ran into the crowd, making their way to section 104 way in the back of the building.

There, standing shoulder-to-shoulder, they performed a beautiful acoustic version of "The Scientist," as well as the b-side "Death Will Never Conquer," which was performed by the multi-talented drummer Will Champion with Martin on the harmonica.

The ever-humble frontman apologized for his harmonica-playing, saying, "You paid good money to hear someone play an instrument very badly." In reality, though, it was quite good.

The set was filled with anthems like "Fix You," "42," "Politik" and "Lovers in Japan," as well as a couple of curveballs like the indecipherable "Chinese Sleep Chant" - a hidden track on "Viva" - and a mashup of "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" and "Talk." It was an odd choice to perform those particular songs like that, but again it was a change for Coldplay, and change is good.

The night drew to an abrupt close in a strange and confusing fashion. The show was moving along well until the band members left section 104 to go back to the stage. They did not make it back to the stage for about five minutes, and all the while, a remixed version of "Viva La Vida" played through the speakers. Was this their encore break already? It felt like the show had barely started.

Sure enough, they came out to play three more songs in what seemed to be the start of the second half of the show.

But then they left the stage again, only to come back to play one more song for the encore, "Yellow." A one-song encore was bizarre and insulting to fans.

Coldplay certainly fell a bit short, as it felt like the band short changed the audience. If artists who are more than twice Coldplay's age, like the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney, can play for nearly three hours, why can't Coldplay? It doesn't make any sense. Nevertheless, the show succeeded in pleasing the fans, which is what's been most important to Martin and Co. these days.

Coldplay put on a thrilling performance while it was on the stage, even if it was just for a little over an hour and a half.

http://media.www.villanovan.com/media/storage/paper581/news/2008/11/06/Entertainment/Coldplay.Concert.Worthwhile.Set.Despite.Short.Duration-3527019-page2.shtml

Christa42

Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
^I'll take whatever i can get from Coldplay. I had the time of my life. Each and every moment was amazing. So the concert wasn't as long as the reviewer wanted but, they always leave you wanting more

jo_saw_sparks

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
what a weird review; i was loving it until he got to the encore. s/he got abruptly awkward after that lol
i didnt think the last encore was insulting... of course i'd have LOVED several more songs but i'm always going to want several more songs from Coldplay.... if they played every song they've ever written, EVER, i'd still want more lol. but my point is when they change stages twice throughout the show, it kinda makes up for the short encore

CRYSTAL

Coldplayer
i don't think that IZOD center is a ugly or bland or what ever in the words,opinions of that reviewer.

We felt that its the best arena ever we've been to.Where ever you're sitting in the arena what ever place but you can see the stage clearly without any problems and also sound clarity is awesome....and also the food,parking lots,and sending the cars after the shows....to very systematic without any traffic stuck problems...

I love that arena..infact me and my hubby were surprised when we're eating fries that its so awesome here...and also surprised that we've such a great arena in NJ for shows...

technicolor24

:)
Coldplayer
best concert I've ever been too! We had great seats, and the most amazing part is when they dropped the paper butterflies during 'Lovers in Japan'. I couldn't see a single thing! It was amazing.

I also was fortunate enough to go Saturday Night Live and also see Coldplay..That was amazing too!! The audience just went nuts for them!