[30-Aug-2012] Coldplay @ Olympic Stadium, Stockholm, Sweden

chipotle

i grow stuff
Coldplayer
From http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/konsertrecensioner/coldplay-pa-stadion-stockholm

COLDPLAY AT STADION, STOCKHOLM

Thirty three thousand luminous wristbands flashing like neon coloured sprinkles over Stadion when Coldplay shoots off fireworks during "Hurts like heaven". An absolutely magnificent way to kick off a concert, impossible to protect yourself from.

The fact that Coldplay works so amazingly well as an arena rock band isn't a given. They are strangely anonymous to be one of the world's biggest bands: four guys in jeans and random t-shirts with mediocre hairstyles. Not even Chris Martin is really very charismatic, even if he tries hard with his straddle-legged jumping across the stage. His singing is good but not exciting; his voice is strong, firm, pure, neat and a bit.. wholesome. Especially when it echoes compact and evenly thick over the arena.

But this is also the key to Coldplay's success. Had they made worse songs, they'd be a third rank Snow Patrol, but with brilliantly talented weeping emo radiohits like "The Scientist", "Paradise" and "Clocks" the boy next door-look works perfectly and makes Coldplay sympathetic and easy to identify with.

The roar from 33 000 when "Viva la vida" starts is magic. Chris Martin is running across the stage with his arms stretched out like a small arena rock airplane, pretends to stab himself with an imaginary dagger and finally collapses on the floor, twisting as in a satisfying perverted autoerotic sexual act while the crowd continues to sing the "ooh-ooh-ooh-"loop to him again and again. It's indescribably magnificent and delicously bombastic. Maybe you could grieve over the loss of the subtlety in the songs. The "Viva la vida" singalong could just as well be "Seven nation army", and the concert a football derby.

And the extravagant scenography and show, so colourful it sometimes looks like a giant kids party (especially when the crowd is given balloons to play with) balance it, and it's understandable that Coldplay during most of the concert ??? like rock music's tank. The big gestures are necessary.

And it is when the band tries to bate the intensity with a slower part, closely together at the end of the runway like a relaxed jamming-in-rehearsal-band, it gets most boring.

chipotle

i grow stuff
Coldplayer
Damn. I live in Finland and i soo wanted to go to the stocholms concert.:cry: I wonder why they never come to Finland ? :thinking:
Aww you should have been there! Maybe next tour, the Chili Peppers finally played in Finland, hopefully Coldplay will too.

TraceOddity

My 'MY HILL' thread.;p
Coldplayer
Brief summary from: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/klick/article15336060.ab

While Lady Gaga's been in Stockholm partying, Coldplay made a flying visit.
They drove up from Copenhagen on Thursday and went straight to the airport after the show. The private plane took off at midnight, doesn't say where they went. Paris?

Are pictures like these ok to post here?
It should be ok. Some have already been posted in other threads, so no worries.:D

chipotle

i grow stuff
Coldplayer
^ Oooh what threads might that be? Places I don't go apparently :lol:
Thanks Tracie, wasn't sure!

4everColdplay

Deeply connected to music
Coldplayer
This concert was truly the most incredible experience of my life! Everything was perfection (Paradise being played twice was probably my absolute favorite moment of the evening). I wish I could turn back time and stay in that concert forever.

Sleepless

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Holy shit this was one of the best gigs I've ever been to :dance: Definitely want to see them again some day!

merihevonen

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
That was probably the best night of my life! I was in front row ;__; I'm loving all these pictures.

PumpkinBirds

A Bird who likes Pumpkins
Coldplayer
Oh... I'm so jealous at all the people who were there D: I really wanted to go, but I didn't have enough money (the tickets were really expensive) and as I'm only 12 years old and the age limit was 13, my parents didn't wanna buy them for me either :(

Anyway, fortunatly P3 (swedish radio channel) sent the whole thing live<3 If someone would like to listen to it, here's the link: http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=4067&artikel=5251662

I smiled wide through the whole consert<3 I really hope Coldplay will come back to Stockholm, and that I'll be able to watch them then :3

Linus

Forever in Coldplay history
Coldplayer
Brief summary from: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/klick/article15336060.ab

While Lady Gaga's been in Stockholm partying, Coldplay made a flying visit.
They drove up from Copenhagen on Thursday and went straight to the airport after the show. The private plane took off at midnight, doesn't say where they went. Paris?

Are pictures like these ok to post here?
the Coldplay.com Oracle said they went home to their familys, so i guess they did :)