[4-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ Emirates Stadium, London, UK

Jenjie

Coldplaying Founder
Founder
Coldplayer
Rita Ora and Robyn both seem strange choices for support acts, but Jayz’s Roc Nation’s new darling Rita Ora’s set is punchy and energetic. It’s obvious the 21 year old London-born blonde can sing despite the heavy backing track. She does rock up her number one singles ‘Hot Right Now’ and ‘RIP’ to make the non-dance orientated fans in the audience more interested.

Robyn’s set isn’t quite as enjoyable. The Swedish blonde shrieks over a heavy bass that makes the metal frame of the stadium rattle uncomfortably. The lyrics get lost in the drums and Robyn’s psychotic dancing makes the general set awkward. ‘Call your girlfriend’ is the only song that comes across as anything other than a pixie shrieking. I was just waiting for Jedward to appear and join in the dancing routine.
Coldplay are a different story…

Setting the tone for the evening opening with ‘Hurts Like Heaven’ together with added pyrotechnics and confetti, the visual onslaught doesn’t stop as neon balls dance across the crowd, and the radio operated wristbands given to the audience start to light up in time to the music. The wristsbands, which they debuted at the Brit awards, are a simple concept but connect the audience and lifts the atmosphere out of the everyday, and into ‘lifetime experience’.
After the first fifteen minutes it’s hard to know how they will keep this atmosphere alive for the next two hours. Don’t worry, they can.
Coldplay are one of those ‘event’ bands that can play a rousing rock anthem that will get the crowd singing and confetti flying, and then change the mood with stripped back acoustic beauty. ‘In my Place’ and ‘Yellow’ are songs you think could become lost inside a big stadium, but Coldplay make them sound intimate and moving, and to me, more moving so than on record.

For me though stompers like ‘Violet Hill’ and ‘Viva La Vida’ are the ones that leave the lasting memory and the band give it their all, especially Chris Martin. No matter how much he runs, jumps and sweats, his vocals are spot on, and is visually moved from the audience love beamed back to the band from the adoring crowd.
The one blip is Rihanna’s cameo on the backdrop video for ‘Princess of China’, is slightly disjointed and the backing track doesn’t work with the rawness of the rest of the show, but asking for perfection is a bit much.

For the encore they set up stage in the centre of the floor, among the crowd to sing ‘Us Against The World’ and ‘Speed of Sound’. As a nod to the heavy rain that tries (but fails), to dampen the evening, they also drop a verse of ‘Singing In The Rain’ into the mix.
Ending the show with the emotional ‘Fix You’, but leaving us on a happier note with ‘Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall’, collapsed to the ground by the last note Chris Martin is physically and emotionally drained. Coldplay live is not just an experience for the ears but a spectacle for the eyes, a bath of music and colour. It seems fitting to have these British musical monsters playing throughout Jubilee weekend.

http://www.flushthefashion.com/music/live-review-coldplay-emirates-stadium/

LFDianne

Biggest Will Fan
Coldplayer
Coldplay played a slew of shows at the O2 Arena in London just 6 months ago, but that didn’t stop them from easily fitting 50,000+ fans in the Emirates in North London for three shows this week. For those fans of the Queen, you had a dilemma on your hands last night, as the Diamond Jubilee concert with Paul McCartney, Elton John and other no names played a show to hundreds of thousands of fans outside Buckingham Palace. Now I’m not saying I chose Coldplay over a former Beatle and a once in a lifetime event – the Diamond Jubilee concert wasn’t announced until after I’d purchased my tickets.
-----

The band then launched into megahit (which is used to describe 90% of their catalogue) In My Place, and now we had confetti shooting out of cannons. For those who complain that rock bands just play in front of video screens and lack a proper show, you have not seen a Coldplay show. Singer Chris Martin sung the last few lines from his knees, leaning against Guy Berryman holding the mic up for him to sign the last word of the song, somewhat to his surprise.
-------
For more concert reviews, music news, and general awesomeness a) “follow PeteHatesMusic on Twitter” and b) “Like PeteHatesMusic on Facebook“, and be the coolest person on your street (note: this is only guaranteed if you are the only person on your street).

PHM Rating: 9.0 out of 10

http://www.petehatesmusic.com/2012/06/05/concert-review-coldplay-emirates-stadium-london-england-with-setlist/
Um, what??? LOL Has GUY ever sang the last bit of IMP? LOL Dude, get your band members straight.

kiwiboy527

Kiwiboy
Coldplayer
What was short? Setlist? It was all the same for 3 London shows.

Was that you? :D I have a video of that moment, it was during Warning Sign right? He gave a huge smile to you :nice: I'll upload it tonight.
Please upload it and reply the link to me :D WOO! <3

Jenjie

Coldplaying Founder
Founder
Coldplayer
2011 was a monumental year for Coldplay. Written off as a tired non-entity they stunned the world at Glastonbury by upstaging U2 and Radiohead in one fell swoop. The performance was heavy on hits, but it was powered by tender moments, pinpoint choruses, and a sense of inclusiveness that Chris Martin has become adept at fostering. A day-glo make over and a number one album later, and a revamped Coldplay are once again the nation’s ubiquitous stadium headliner. Tonight, Chris Martin an co. round off their latest UK tour with a third sold out night at Emirates stadium. Far from cultivating a personal bond with a crowd of thousands, Coldplay 2.0 overawe their audience through sheer abundance. A forced fireworks display and the first of many blast of confetti welcome a band who appear dead set on pandering to an already reverent crowd. At times the glitz and glamour assault proves irresistible. A stadium sized “In My Place” and the seething euphoria of “Paradise” make time stand still as the crowd bellow and bounce in unison. Unfortunately, more often than not, the maximalist bombast is a distraction. Bouncing balloons and lingering confetti strip “The Scientist” of its solemn beauty, while the understated but irrepressible punch of “Yellow” drowns in syrupy smultz and self-adulation. The cruelest fate is reserved for “Violet Hill”. Reworked for the arenas, it is rendered bereft of poignancy as its piercingly intimate finale (“If you love me, won’t you let me know”) is turned into a needy and unnecessary call for applause. The night’s finest moments come when Coldplay strip away their seemingly endless arsenal of gimmicks. “Viva La Vida” stands on it’s own two feet, creating a feeling of gleeful union as the crowd belt out the track’s timeless refrain long beyond its four minute run time. “Warning Sign” circumvents the pomp and circumstance altogether, creating intimacy in even the densest and most distant corners of the Emirates (a trick which “Us Against The World” beautifully recreates during the Simon Pegg assisted encore). For its part the light show is spectacular, and the luminous Mylo Xyloto wristbands leave the crowd speechless during a celebratory airing of “Charlie Brown”. It proves a shrewd piece of misdirection as even this, the most reverent of crowds, is hardly taken by the more transient efforts “Major Minus”, “Princess Of China”, and “Hurts Like Heaven”. Tonight’s show doesn’t have the feel of vintage Coldplay performance. There are no teary eyed lovers, and no one leaves believing Chris Martin was singing to them alone. Instead, Coldplay offer something more synthetic; the warm buzz of a Las Vegas review. The grand ceremony, the luxurious excess, and cosy feeling of crowd pleased, but not moved. It’s impossible to do anything but admire Coldplay’s utilitarian ambition to put smiles on faces, sadly in 2012 it comes at a high cost as poignancy and tranquility are ruefully jettisoned. [thanks David Hayter] http://www.strictlyrandl.com/features/live-review-coldplay-emirates-stadium/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=live-review-coldplay-emirates-stadium

dansmasta

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreasbillman/sets/72157629998212511/show/"]Coldplay[/ame]

My photos from Coldplay 4th June Emirates.

My friends and I arrived at 11am and we got the barriers front row! It was my sixth concert, first time I ever got front row. I had seen Coldplay at the o2 in December so was worried about it being too similar but no. THAT WAS INCREDIBLE. they really got the crowd into it and the songs were great. Great day

attacama40

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Hi ... does anyone know the tape music list played after Rpbyn and before Coldplay came out? Was about 4-5 songs played none of which I knew except the JayZ track, but were excellent. Anyone know what they were?

Took a group of folks to Emirates on the 4th to see them...from those who were disciples to those who hadn't a clue. Not one went away unimpressed.....how could you? No matter how elitist or abstract your musical tastes are, if you didn't go away from that event with a warm glow, you must be made of stone.

One thing I could not understand (and I never do) is why on earth so many folks would get up half way through a £70 quid+ ticket set of that entertainment value to buy a bundle of burgers and Maltesers! One bloke in our row either hadn't eaten in a week especially to upset the rest of the row or was so hen pecked by the females around him that he must have been up and shuffling a dozen times. Don't get it.

Anyway anyone who can help me with the names/artists/song of the warm-up tape would be greatly appreciated. cheers

Jenjie

Coldplaying Founder
Founder
Coldplayer
My somewhat alternative childhood meant that I didn’t really start listening to music until I was a teenager. When I did, Parachutes was one of the first albums that I bought.
Monday evening was the last evening of the London shows and luckily for us it wasn’t raining. We arrived shortly before Robyn, who was supporting, started. I can’t say that she was particularly good, or in my opinion the best choice to support Coldplay, but hey the rest of the show was good!
The concert, in true Coldplay style, was great and as to be expected everyone continued singing the Paradise chorus well after the encore and Chris Martin and the guys had gone. I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t stuck in my head for the rest of the evening as well.
[thanks Ethna Brave]
http://ethnabrave.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/the-jubilee-weekend-street-parties-rain-beer-and-coldplay/

Jenjie

Coldplaying Founder
Founder
Coldplayer
What a great band and what a great night. Stunning show – loved the blown ‘confetti’, the light up wrist bands and the giant balloons and lasers! thought the music was brilliant. Singing along to Fix You was bloody great and got lots of people quite emotional.

We were standing in front of the stage, not that far back, and that was the place to be I think, though the view from high up in the chairs as that Youtube vid. shows, must have been good, almost as good as looking up at all their wrist bands blinking in the gods.

Human Nature comments:

Considering how many people were there, as the video shows, surprisingly little hassle or bother – two things I noticed. One: although I’m reasonably tall, I’m not over six foot, and I try to think about where I stand. There are a lot of very tall people who don’t mind at all ‘pushing’ their way through the crowd and then stopping, to stand and enjoy the show right in front of the shortest people they can find, without apparently batting an eyelid.

There are a few people wo really don’t care who they spoil the show for, as long as they themselves are having fun. I saw a group of people near me where one of the blokes (very tall too!) was pissed and lurching about all over the place. He displaced an older couple and then kept bashing into a young girl. When a (short!) young man asked him to please be careful of the girl, he was physically attacked. Moron.

My only close encounter was when a very large girl appeared behind me and started bouncing up and down, sobbing wildly and trying to force her way past me (there was nowhere to go, not even for a massively tall person!) After sobbing and bouncing and pressing her hand into my groin! a few times, her friend dragged her away while she whooped like a hyena. Definitely high!

But, them apart it was a brilliant night, and getting out of London was fun, too, though it took a long time. I’m not a royalist really and had no desire to join in the jubiliee parties, but London was a hoot with all the flags and bunting and the people walking through the streets in crowns and flags, all good natured and having fun. It definitely lifted the spirits.

Looking in the bedecked shop windows at telescreens showing the other concert that was on last night, while the crowds drifted past, I didn’t see a single negative incident. The rain held off, the moon was as full as an owl’s eye and I was happy.

[thanks An Experiment in Normality]
http://sonormality.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/coldplay/

PAB1980

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Coldplay

My photos from Coldplay 4th June Emirates.

My friends and I arrived at 11am and we got the barriers front row! It was my sixth concert, first time I ever got front row. I had seen Coldplay at the o2 in December so was worried about it being too similar but no. THAT WAS INCREDIBLE. they really got the crowd into it and the songs were great. Great day
Great pics,what camera is this taken with?

PetePetePete

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Haha, either that or Jonny's going to be rather surprised himself,lol.
Hey guys, I'm the one that wrote that Coldplay review, and saw a bunch of hits from this site, so thought I'd check it out. My apologies for the mistake - so it was Jonny was sung the "oh yeah" part at the end? I could've sworn it was Guy. I even had my Coldplay 101 Guide in my pocket! I might've been too busy catching confetti though. Cheers

FixYou*

-Ayse
Coldplayer
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za49Jm_FnUs&feature=plcp"]Coldplay - Us Against The World [London Emirates Stadium] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQrox3FnO6Q&feature=plcp"]Jonny Buckland (last part of In My Place) [London Emirates Stadium] - YouTube[/ame]

TraceOddity

My 'MY HILL' thread.;p
Coldplayer
Hey guys, I'm the one that wrote that Coldplay review, and saw a bunch of hits from this site, so thought I'd check it out. My apologies for the mistake - so it was Jonny was sung the "oh yeah" part at the end? I could've sworn it was Guy. I even had my Coldplay 101 Guide in my pocket! I might've been too busy catching confetti though. Cheers
Haha, no worries.:) It's been Jonny every night since almost the start of the tour, so I'd be surprised if it was Guy last night, but I haven't seen video...