Adventure of a Lifetime - Lyrics Decryption

The Adversary

Weapon of the Future
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I was quite astonished when I heard Chris say the inspiration is supposed to have come from a book about strong women in adverse / dangerous life situations. Because to me (and I say that as an objective criticism, this is not Newplay-bashing or something) the lyrics and disco-dance tune suggest the theme being "let's have fun now/new love/life is for enjoying/YOLO-attitude" rather than empowering women....

I would have expected a more serious (and by all means upbeat, but less light-flowing) song about a subject like the one Chris supposedly was inspired from, but well...
It could have been another Violet Hill or Politik with a theme like that.

Although, with that said you can't really trust anything Chris says anymore.

gai

It could have been another Violet Hill or Politik with a theme like that.

Although, with that said you can't really trust anything Chris says anymore.
but did you miss the part where even the book title actually appears?

Empy

Golden Arrow
Coldplayer
Maybe I'm just being stupid but what's an "Umi"?
I know there's a sushi restaurant in Amsterdam called Umi, but I don't think that's wat he meant. Perhaps Umi is the protagonist of the album just like that Mylo Xyloto character they came up with? Or perhaps, since Indian culture has influenced the boys, it's something Indian?

Xylobryte98

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I know there's a sushi restaurant in Amsterdam called Umi, but I don't think that's wat he meant. Perhaps Umi is the protagonist of the album just like that Mylo Xyloto character they came up with? Or perhaps, since Indian culture has influenced the boys, it's something Indian?
Nope, Umi isn't something related to India.
I guess its just like 'to me' or ' you and me' maybe?

Batman

My batshake brings all the spam to the yard
Coldplayer
Maybe "Umi" is something like "Prospect" ? Chris has it with his weird protagonist's names lol

jc90

Most Interesting Poster 2015
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
first post updated

gai

so according to this, the US live premier of aoal will happen on the american music awards on the 22nd. does that mean the james corden event that's happening this week wouldn't be broadcast till then or that it's possibly a bigger event? or the music award people got it wrong..

jc90

Most Interesting Poster 2015
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Probably just a mistake. AMA wants to hype up their event afterall.

AMDB9

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
So according to Google Translate, Umi could mean "sea" in Japanese. You can see the English pronunciation in gray lettering by the camera icon.

D

diogo_sg

I just googled 'umi meaning'.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=umi

Turn your magic on / Mother, she'd say

So I think this song is about a woman remembering the times when her mother would tell her to be strong and never stop trying to achieve her dreams. This is a very lousy explanation of my interpretation, but I have too many things to do, so I can't write a longer paragraph. Sorry [emoji16]

Harondor

Aiming my arrows
Coldplayer
Umi means "mother" in arabic but I don't know if it is used in that sense

Empy

Golden Arrow
Coldplayer
You're absolutely right. I don't have any knowledge of India or it's culture at all, apart from the stereotypes that most people know.

iamsue

Coldplayer
I just googled 'umi meaning'.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=umi

Turn your magic on / Mother, she'd say

So I think this song is about a woman remembering the times when her mother would tell her to be strong and never stop trying to achieve her dreams. This is a very lousy explanation of my interpretation, but I have too many things to do, so I can't write a longer paragraph. Sorry [emoji16]
Diogo, give yourself more credit. Your interpretation makes total sense! Thanks!!

iamsue

Coldplayer
I read the Oracle's Tweet that the lyrics in the beginning weren't anything. To me, they keep sounding like, "she found out". Anyway, that's what makes sense to me, especially in light of some of the recent news here about the book Chris read.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I read the Oracle's Tweet that the lyrics in the beginning weren't anything. To me, they keep sounding like, "she found out". Anyway, that's what makes sense to me, especially in light of some of the recent news here about the book Chris read.
Chris himself said in multiple interviews that it has no meaning...

gentleparachute

Up&Up
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Chris has done it again guys!

He's inserted ambiguity and opacity even in his more direct lyrics... Google 'Umi name' - it's got multiple meanings in multiple languages - sea in Japanese (female), servant (boy) and born of my mother (girl) in some African languages, life (boy) in Egyptian. Knowing Chris I'm sure he chose the name for its multiple interpretations and meanings... It can also mean mother in Arabic, and Ummi has multiple Islamic meanings - those unschooled/ illiterate, persons who have not received God's word... In a way, it refers to people who are less fortunate.

And I'm sure the bit about holding up half the sky refers to girls... It gives some meaning to his recent trips and work in India, and he has lately been emphasising girls and education for global development too :)

All up, the song serves a dual purpose rather nicely I think - reminding us about the importance of girls as half the world's population, particularly in less developed countries (Asia, Africa), but also giving a bit of personal meaning/ connection if you're a girl (or even boy) growing up / having a history in one of those countries- it's a song about empowering yourself in a non-bitter way, and not giving up hope... What a deep song!

D

diogo_sg

Chris has done it again guys!

He's inserted ambiguity and opacity even in his more direct lyrics... Google 'Umi name' - it's got multiple meanings in multiple languages - sea in Japanese (female), servant (boy) and born of my mother (girl) in some African languages, life (boy) in Egyptian. Knowing Chris I'm sure he chose the name for its multiple interpretations and meanings... It can also mean mother in Arabic, and Ummi has multiple Islamic meanings - those unschooled/ illiterate, persons who have not received God's word... In a way, it refers to people who are less fortunate.

And I'm sure the bit about holding up half the sky refers to girls... It gives some meaning to his recent trips and work in India, and he has lately been emphasising girls and education for global development too :)

All up, the song serves a dual purpose rather nicely I think - reminding us about the importance of girls as half the world's population, particularly in less developed countries (Asia, Africa), but also giving a bit of personal meaning/ connection if you're a girl (or even boy) growing up / having a history in one of those countries- it's a song about empowering yourself in a non-bitter way, and not giving up hope... What a deep song!
Yes to everything you said [emoji7]