Adventure of a Lifetime - Lyrics Decryption

Christa42

Irresponsible baby clutching onto aeroplane wing
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Umi in Egyptian is a boys name meaning Life, and in Japanese is a girls name meaning Ocean, but that is prob not it.

diogo_sg Mother sound more like it, but who knows?

the_escapist

Just a flock of birds
Coldplayer
To me it's going to remain "to me she'd say". It is the only thing that makes sense and while singing it, you cannot tell the difference with "Umi"

Safy

An Outsider
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I am Egyptian & I have never heard of the word Umi before..It is the 1st time I heard it & had to google the meaning to see sites claiming it is an Egyptian name & I was like :wtf: (btw, never heard of the term Egyptian language. Egyptians speak Arabic, yes there are slang Egyptian expressions but over all it is Arabic)

also Umi can mean "my mother" in Arabic, but not in the way Chris pronounces it in the song. it is more like Ummi, not Umi :blank:

my thoughts are the same as Gai. It is probably the name of the protagonist in the song. in what language, I have no clue!

Christa42

Irresponsible baby clutching onto aeroplane wing
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Safy, I should never believe everything I read on the internet! It was under google meaning of names but that could be anyone's opinion

Safy

An Outsider
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Safy, I should never believe everything I read on the internet! It was under google meaning of names but that could be anyone's opinion
I was beginning seriously to doubt myself & my knowledge..:p but I asked another Egyptian Coldplayer & they have never heard of this Umi before either!!

either we are both ignorant, or it is just something invented & put on the internet as a fact!! :laugh3:

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Umi is the child of Mylo and Xyloto when they finally got together after Xyloto searched for Mylo where they don't know his name, and after his armour had rusted in the rain.

spice

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
guys UMI is defiantly not an Arabic word

Jaytheblue

Another Human Speciman
Coldplayer
I'm assuming it's not a continuation of the Mylo Xyloto stuff though...

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
I thought umi was hindu for something...apparently not. If only there was an R in front of the name, then I would know who it is *lol*

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Since Chris also mistook Rumi for being Afghan instead of Persian, maybe he just misspelled Rumi... o_O

AMDB9

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I thought umi was hindu for something...apparently not. If only there was an R in front of the name, then I would know who it is *lol*
Oh, those ancient poets telling us to "turn our magic on" ;)

Last edited:

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
Oh, those ancient poets telling us to "turn our magic on"
Nah I wish..haha Chris definitely said this song was about women. Until I know what umi means, I´ll always sing "to me she´d say" hehe

Welli B.

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Someone in the other thread was asking what was being said in the very beginning.

I've looked around, and r/coldplay on reddit has a few things to say:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coldplay/comments/3s04r7/what_do_the_background_singers_sing_in_the_intro/

To me, 'Too Far Down" is the leading guess. But what they also suggested is playing the song at a slower pace. So, I went to youtube and under settings (the gear), I set playback to 0.5 speed. I'm not sure it fits in the context of the song, but it does sound like it. But I havent heard a good guess as to what is said after Too Far Down is said 3 times.

Also, not sure who mentioned but Apple and Moses are providing those words again.
I've also listened in 0.5 speed and I think it's just like that: "Too far the... too far the... too far the... too far the magic, magic"
I can't hear the "down" word in there.

Cheers

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
Since Chris also mistook Rumi for being Afghan instead of Persian, maybe he just misspelled Rumi... o_O
This got me curious and I checked it out. Apparently Rumi was born in present day Afghanistan. Perhaps he did not say persian so as not to be confused with present day Iran?

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
This got me curious and I checked it out. Apparently Rumi was born in present day Afghanistan. Perhaps he did not say persian so as not to be confused with present day Iran?
But culturally speaking, Rumi is Persian (I've never heard a scholar say otherwise about him) and thus it would not be too wrong with present-day Iran because that's the current epicentre of Persaian cultur, so to speak. But whatever :D

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
But culturally speaking, Rumi is Persian (I've never heard a scholar say otherwise about him) and thus it would not be too wrong with present-day Iran because that's the current epicentre of Persaian cultur, so to speak. But whatever :D
Haha your last word lol yes it's not important but I'm just curious about stuff hehe
I always heard of Rumi as Persian as well but the place where he was born and his parents belong to present day Afghanistan (once though apparently that part was included in Persia). So I guess CM is.....

"Guilty of nothing , but geography" lol

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I know, to me Afghan and Persian culture are really different hence my comment, but of course I see why CM said that ! :)