Camera Suggestions (specifically for Concerts)

fifi

what's your beef?
Coldplayer
I use a couple of different cameras for concerts and I would be quite partial to the nikon s6100 but I've always gone back to my old trusty reliable fujifilm finepix s5800 that I've had for about 4 years now.
It's pretty bulky but I always get better pictures with it. It's definitely my favourite.

I've tried using different olympus cameras too but they were rubbish for indoor concerts

I took these with the fujifilm....from farrrr away and outdoors

Then this was taken indoors and quite close

Megalomania

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I quite like those first 2 pictures ;D

I use a boring Samsung point and shoot, it rarely takes clear pictures but when it does I think the quality's decent.

Zoom's a bit lame though

I suppose that's what I get for under $200 though

MaxRide

agender mad scientist (they/them)
Coldplayer
So, I currently own a camera that I basically use as a point and shoot (my dad basically has the same camera). However, it is extremely bulky;

Would I/my dad be able to take that with us? :confused: I might have to buy a small little point-and-shoot just for the concert...

Megalomania

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I think the rule of thumb for venues is that if it has a removable lens, it's not allowed in.

However, you may have a hard time with security with something as bulky as that. Some venues don't care, and others are really a pain with cameras. Maybe call ahead of time to avoid a problem?

86Timewarp

Billy N.™ the Coldplayer
Coldplayer
That's what's lame though, i want to use a good camera -_-

Get a Sony Cybershot if you can. The one I had since 2006 is better in design and awesomeness then the 2011 model :lol: But it's newer and updated so you cant go wrong

MaxRide

Coldplayer
The problem is, I have no idea what the camera policy is. From the website:

Are cameras allowed into the building?
Still cameras are allowed for all basketball and hockey games. For concerts, the camera policy varies from show to show, however, video cameras and recorders are not allowed for any concerts or games.

I've sent an email, so hopefully I'll know soon whether or not I'll have to buy a point and shoot or just bring along my mom's iPhone.

86Timewarp

Billy N.™ the Coldplayer
Coldplayer
"video camera and recorders" nothing about standard picture cameras, so yes, but they have to the normal ones, none of the complicated ones :p

MaxRide

Coldplayer
True...but my camera is borderline professional. Plus, it weighs around three pounds. :dead:

86Timewarp

Billy N.™ the Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I think your fine....unless its one of those Canon ones :uhoh:

MaxRide

Coldplayer
Look at the picture again.

It very clearly says SONY on the main body of the camera. :blank:

86Timewarp

Billy N.™ the Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Sorry I forgot you posted that :facepalm:, and when you say boarder line I think of the Canon Rebel

Black Rose

Freedom!
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
A compact camera with has a good optical zoom level, and good auto-focus with a fast shutter-speed.

Magnaella

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Hi, are we allowed to bring mirrorless camera in stade de france? (i.e fuji xt10) thanks

Captain Crieff

drinking pink rabbits
Staff member
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
can you detach the lens? If you can it's often not allowed. I have no idea what the policy in Stade de France is though

TylerBennett53

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Just about any camera will work it's the audio that is tricky at concerts because the volume is so loud. most camera mics will just give you clipped audio. You have to get a mic that will allow you to reduce the level going in so it doesn't clip.

Haruka

righteously wicked
Coldplayer
Just about any camera will work it's the audio that is tricky at concerts because the volume is so loud. most camera mics will just give you clipped audio. You have to get a mic that will allow you to reduce the level going in so it doesn't clip.
the solution is to post work it on a good video editor program like Vegas Pro, where you can redefine levels and some source of audio mastering.
it won't be as good as if you recorded with better mics, but you won't waste your video.

my poor solution is to only make videos in concerts with my cellphone (Moto G5), surprisingly it has better mic than my Canon Ixus 120 IS :D