Central Europe

mc_squared

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Yeah, but I think that everyone should get at least a little present :) But you're right, presents are not the main Christmas thing. Personally, I'm looking forward to watching fairytales and eating sweets :D
That's more like it, as it doesn't involve any stress!!:D

freckles

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
That's more like it, as it doesn't involve any stress!!:D

Exactly :D

Well, today I found out my boyfriend hates Christmas because of the stress - his mother cleans all the house a week before Christmas and when everyone wants to relax, she's like crazy about the cleaning.. :rolleyes:

mc_squared

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Exactly :D

Well, today I found out my boyfriend hates Christmas because of the stress - his mother cleans all the house a week before Christmas and when everyone wants to relax, she's like crazy about the cleaning.. :rolleyes:
Sounds like she'd be a psychiatrist's dream!!:stunned:

freckles

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Nina, I've written a short essay about our house for my french lesson. Could I send it to you and could you possibly correct it or comment it, please? :smug:

chuck kottke

Gearwork for Clocks
Coldplayer
The universal problems of the holidays!:laugh3: Keep the season simple - I agree - It's all about family, friends, and fun! I haven't even gotten a tree yet - might do that in a day or two. Lights too - we've got the mini-lamp ones, but I like the "new" LED lights - cooler, and less electric load - safer, too!
What does Christmas look like in Slovenia or in the Czech land??:santa3:

freckles

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
The universal problems of the holidays!:laugh3: Keep the season simple - I agree - It's all about family, friends, and fun! I haven't even gotten a tree yet - might do that in a day or two. Lights too - we've got the mini-lamp ones, but I like the "new" LED lights - cooler, and less electric load - safer, too!
What does Christmas look like in Slovenia or in the Czech land??:santa3:
Hey Chuck, I found something about Czech Christmas here:
http://www.myczechrepublic.com/czech_culture/czech_holidays/christmas.html

In fact, I must confess that our family doesn't keep all the customs and superstitions as written ;) On December 24, all day we usually decorate the Christmas tree and prepare everything for the evening, watch fairy tales and relax.. In the evening, we eat the dinner - potato salad, which is traditional, and then either a chicken escalope (or steak) or carp. Me and my grandmother don't like carp, so we usually eat the steak. Then we go to the cemetery ( I don't think that many families are used to do this, but we do, it's our own custom :) ) and when we come back, we stand by the Christmas tree, sing some carols and then get presents.

What about your Christmas? :)

Ms Magpie

oh it's nothing special
Coldplayer
Here's a link to a text that describes our Christmas under Yugoslavia. It's obvious the author was a kid when he was still alive - I never had a Christmas like that! :lol:

Just normal ornaments for the Christmas tree and many presents - not always educational ones. A smallish but kinda festive dinner, maybe watching the mass from the telly because both churches were so crowded.

Slovene people speak of three Christmases: the real one and two little Christmases (on New Year's Day and the Three Kings). On these days, every family burned incense and the smoke brought magic power and, at the same time, expelled demons. Christmas is thus a truly hallowed and magical time.
Okay, this is NOT true.