Coldplay hates Korea?

2005dan

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Alot of korean fans were dissapointed when they saw the Lovers in Japan live performance, 2009.
(japanses soldiers were showed in the screen during the live)
Coldplay Concert in Budapest - Lovers in Japan - YouTube

And also, theres a rumor spreading around, that chris said "Japan is the victim of WorldWar2" in the interview.
(As you know, japan ruled the korea back then)

Id like to know if there's any interview that chris mentioned about this?

ichrek

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I dont know why you are saying that !! He just doesnt stop saying how beautiful it is making all of us wanting to visit someday :)

RazorEye

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Well, when you look at it, The Viva era is a wartime theme. You don't even have to look past the VLVODAAHF or PM album cover to figure that out.

Kiame

الى السماء
Coldplayer
People get offended over everything these days. Who cares.

getithom

Baby blue.
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
People get offended over everything these days. Who cares.
Most the fans should have realized that this was just a part of the stage. People are really dumb.

foxysmile

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'm very nervous to bring this topic up on Coldplaying.com (it's really sensitive topic to bring up anywhere) but still, this is a big argument between Coldplay fans and other people in South Korea.
There are rumours which hasn't been proved at all with videos or other media proofs, saying that Coldplay agrees with Imperialism, especially glorifies Japan's war history back at WW2. I believe this is a bullsh*t from people who don't understand the true meaning of the VLVODAAHF album's concept or the whole lyrics of it.
But it is true that there was the Lovers in Japan video shown in a concert, with a shot of Japanese army marching. This alone can be enough reason for some people to believe so. That's because for Asian people who are from the countries which were colonised by and suffered from Japan during the first half of 20th century, such as Korea, China, Taiwan etc., Japanese Army or the rising sun flag remind people of the tragic and sorrowful history, just as Nazi or Swastika do for European people.
I don't believe it was Coldplay's intention to offend Korean or any other people from Asian countries at all, or they hate any countries without even having been there before(*cough* Korea *cough*), but I hope you guys should remember there might be some other aspect of things you don't know yet, before you say that people get angry about everything without a resonable reasons.

Yu-tong

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Anyway, I agree with foxysmile. (And thank you that you view Taiwan as a country. <- People in Taiwan are very sensitive to this. )

Black Dog

Live From Michigan!
Coldplayer
It is complete and total bullshit, Coldplay are completely peaceful and progressive folks and would never advocate imperialism either historical or current. I can just imagine the look of horror on Chris' face!

Prospector

Rafael
Coldplayer
They just love Japonese culture and people (Chris said it a lot of times), but that doesn't mean they agree with any kind of war the country got involved. When you say that, It's like loving British music and culture means we agree with it's 19th century imperialist politics, or loving American culture means we agree with the war on the Iraq, but NO! WE JUST LOVE PEOPLE!

Black Dog

Live From Michigan!
Coldplayer
It's like loving British music and culture means we agree with it's 19th century imperialist politics, or loving American culture means we agree with the war on the Iraq, but NO! WE JUST LOVE PEOPLE!
:thumbsup:

Janice

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
i have no idea why are you saying that.i have never seen that report.

Xencios

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Coldplay do not hate Korea and, i think, any country in the world

stevieg4ever

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I reside in South Korea.

Firstly I don't believe that Coldplay have ever performed in Korea (though i may be wrong). However, this is extremely common for big acts from the UK, US etc as many record companies refuse outright for a number of reasons (Korea has a notoriously poor track record in adhering to intellectual property rights; observation of international copyright law is also poor; net sales of music (historically speaking) tend to be very low; Korea's lax laws in respect to all of the aforementioned are said to simply encourage such crimes.

Were any imagery to do with LIJ to include the Japanese imperial flag or any other aspect, it would cause an uproar in Korea, if it wasn't omitted before hand that is. Many Koreans equate Imperial Japan with Nazi Germany.