Welcome to Coldplaying!

By signing up you will receive access to the largest Coldplay fan site and hundreds of Coldplay downloads!

Coldplaying's history

Discussion in 'Coldplaying.com' started by msimo4, Jan 24, 2017.

Share This Page

1. msimo4

By:msimo4Jan 24, 2017
    GS era fan, wishing to have been an MX era fan...
    Coldplayer

ORIGINALLY POSTED IN THE KALEIDOSCOPE EP THREAD AT THE END OF PAGE 22 AND MOVED TO THIS THREAD:

Hey guys, I've got something to ask. I've been an avid Coldplayer for over 2 years now and I've been on Coldplaying for a few months. Much like the actual band's history, I think this website has such a special history and, like so many things related to the band, has a history that accurately represents the culture, trends, music and just the overall vibes of the past 2 decades (almost). I have fair knowledge of what's happened over the years with this website and community, things like how VLVODAAHF - MX was much busier compared to now, how the owners have changed (all I know is that the main guy's name was Ian basically), how the actual site itself has changed considerably and continually over the years. It's really special because it's followed the band's history after all this time, and I love it. But, like so many of you I'm sure, it's just a rough outline. So... could someone, or anyone really who wants to chip in, give a fairly in depth outline of the grand history of this spectacular website and community? It doesn't have to be too long, and you can all give your own different points of view and perspectives. Include as much as you know! Big things like how and when it started out, who started it, big moments in it and the band's history, how the site has won awards, how it's changed so much over the years and what it's been like during each era (or at least the ones that the site was active during). Anything you want. Anyone here who has been here a really long time? I know that @Christa42 has been here for around 10 years (damn!), anyone else who's still active now, any non-staff members? Anyone really? We could even put the history into the "About" section of the site (btw @Stephen, there's a lot of dead links down the bottom of the page like the different navigation sections and social medias and stuff, is that part of the current fixing up of the site? - I know you've got a lot on your plate, though - but the community can help create the content and stuff!) I'd just really love to discover the insight into this magnificent site's history and the evolution of it and the CP community over the years.

I, like so many of you, wish that I could've been here, and also a Coldplayer, during earlier times (dat ETIAW thread tho :scream::mylo:). But if we do so many more things here now and utilise this great community, then we'll be able to look back on these times in a few years like we currently do with the previous eras, and we'll realise that these times, right now, were some of the best and most special times of this site's history and community, too. This anticipation for and leadup to the Kaleidoscope EP (are we shortening it to KEP, is that how we're doing it? lol) can be like the leadup to PM or MX. But overall, I think we should all remember when we talk about the difference in activity on this site that the band is certainly not finished yet and there's still so much of the band's history to experience together. The CP community has so much more to go!

Oh and btw, if anyone here is interested, the subreddit is another fantastic place and community for the band. Personally I much prefer the user interface of Reddit to these forum-type websites, but both are great. Anyone here is who is already on the sub?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. Christa42

By:Christa42Jan 24, 2017
    Irresponsible baby clutching onto aeroplane wing
    Honorary Coldplayer Coldplayer

Thanks for starting this thread. I am hoping all the Old Players will post fun, great and interesting memories in this thread. I will put on my thinking cap and try to recall some great Coldplaying memories.

msimo4 and cp3176 like this.
  3. coldplayisawesome

By:coldplayisawesomeJan 24, 2017
    Maybe I'm a ghost
    Coldplayer

this is a great idea! i'll chip in, though it might have to wait until the weekend when i have a little more free time :p
    but i have plenty of VIVA and MX memories. i practically lived on the forums during those years

Gideon_Mx, iamsue, msimo4 and 3 others like this.
  4. jc90

By:jc90Jan 25, 2017
    A Herp Full Of Derp

Hello, Coldplaying lifer here. Pretty neat idea and i'll try and fill in the gaps here and there. I wasn't too vocal in the early days, but always just stuck to reading for the beginning years of my tenure. Joined around X&Y era, but I have a better memory starting from Viva.

Looking forward to how this project goes.

coldplayisawesome and Christa42 like this.
  5. jc90

By:jc90Jan 26, 2017
    A Herp Full Of Derp

Gonna get the ball somewhat rolling; this is gonna be VERY rough.

Not 100% sure of when Coldplaying actually started, but I think it was in the Rush of Blood era, not Parachutes. Feel free to correct me. Hell, feel free to correct me anywhere!

A Rush of Blood to the Head: Nada, wasn't here yet

X&Y: I joined, but wasn't vocal

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends: My first real experience with leaks and following along with the teasing the band did. In this era, it was via Prospekt and Roadie #42.
    The highlight for me though can be summed up with the phrase "IT'S LEAKING IN JUSTIN!". To elaborate, LP4 was leaking on a Justin Timberlake fansite. No friggin idea who discovered it, but once it was posted in the LP4 leak thread, all of Coldplaying went over there and they experienced a massive increase in new users, hah. IIRC, they were actually very nice and welcoming to us. That being said, last I heard, the site has since been shut down #RIP
    Another highlight came with members of our site discovering where the band make some of their music. The discovered was confirmed with a number of fans showing up and seeing band members!

Christmas Lights: Right in between LP4 and LP5 came, what I think, is one of the greatest moments in Coldplaying history. The details are vague to me, and I wasn't involved because of geography, but basically, we were asked by band management to come out for a music video shoot. The result was a lot of our users
    being immortalized forever!

Mylo Xyloto: I was still active on the site, but I happened to be occupied during this leak, but I do recall the first show of the era being Rock Im Park which was unfortunately untelevised and unstreamed. As a result, I vividly recall listening to a potato and heavily bass distorted version of Princess of China. Although it was very potato, I really enjoyed it. That and Hurts Like Heaven.

Ghost Stories: Roughly around here things started getting really dark in more ways than one. Musically, the band turned another gloomier direction which we now know is due to Chris's personal life. The future of our site itself was also in question around this time also (I think), and users were particularly "prickily" around this era in a volume and amplitude ive never seen before in my 10+ years on the site.

A Head Full of Dreams: Coldplaying ownership changes hands once again. Erm, not sure what else to say here, the usual leaks I guess.

Other: also should mention some more Coldplaying related items such as the Postcards from Far Away Project, and Batman Interviews Coldplay.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  6. iamsue

By:iamsueJan 28, 2017
    You're a Sky Full of Stars
    Coldplayer

My Coldplaying history is a bit shorter, as I joined during MX. I have been a devoted fan since ARROBTTH, although X & Y is where I really started to follow the band. What struck me during each era is:
    - MX: The Oracle and Roadie 42's incredible tidbits on the band and the tour. We asked all sorts of questions, with lots of curiousity about the meaning of the title itself.
    - Ghost Stories: While this is not a reflection of the site, I had a bad feeling from the moment Magic was released that this album was about Chris getting divorced. It had been rumoured off and on in the U.S. It just seemed so obvious. I was really surprised when we didn't "officially" hear that news from C & G until the following spring. The beauty of this album and its tender reflection on a painful situation never ceased to amaze me in its understatement. I wished that the good reviews had been played up more. Coldplayers made the best of a sad era, and the origami stars brightened the horizon.
    - AHFOD: Easily my very favorite Coldplaying era, although I miss the involvement of the Oracle here and wish Roadie 42 posted a lot more. I just love Mark's writing! This community has blossomed into a loving, caring group that is always here for each other. The LOVE buttons reflect the feelings here. This is not just another social media site. We all start with our Coldplay fandom, but get to know each other from there. The games are one of my favorite highlights. The awesome moderators do an amazing job and Stephen's organization of the media section opens up a whole new Coldplay world!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

7. msimo4

By:msimo4Feb 4, 2017
    Coldplayer

@jc90 and @iamsue , thanks for your contributions! They both sound really cool, and they make me feel nostalgic even though I didn't experience them... even just thinking about those times in the band's history is so special. I remember coming across the "WE FOUND THE BAKERY" thread a few weeks ago, that was pretty awesome. Also @jc90 , what is the Postcards From Far Away project? @iamsue , I miss #Roadie42 and the Oracle so much (when is the Oracle going to come back!?), hopefully they'll be back soon. Was the Oracle actually active on this site? Or do you just mean their involvement in general? Also, Roadie42 is Matt Miller, not Mark. Miller is one of their crew and photographers. Who is epiccccc.

And to everyone else: come on people! We need more awesome posts about this website! Don't be afraid to go deep - PLEASE, mention as much as you can, because it's just so special when all of those little things, all those memories are brought back and can be shared to everyone else. Also when has ownership of the site changed over the years? Feel free to answer that in your posts on your time during Coldplaying's history!

8. jc90

By:jc90Feb 4, 2017
    A Herp Full Of Derp

9. Captain Crieff

By:Captain CrieffFeb 4, 2017
    drinking pink rabbits
    Staff Member Moderator Honorary Coldplayer Coldplayer

Okay here we go - I joined in 2012 but only started posting in 2013 so it's quite a small time frame.

When I first joined I wasn't really interested in the community, I just wanted to download stuff in the multimedia section. The forum was HUGE and I felt 1) not confident enough about my English 2) like I would get lost immediately. I started lurking though and I remember the Paralympics closing ceremony, which broke the site's "Most users ever online" record like 5 times. The eventual record was 6,255 (thank you Wayback Machine). A couple of months later I did start posting; I didn't get lost and made some very good friends. To be honest I wasn't very active in the Coldplay section, I mostly hung around in The Lounge and basically lived in the Pub Thread :drunk: I think the Scrapbook was also still alive at that time: Someone bought a scrapbook, decorated one page in it and sent it off to another member who did the same and so on. A lovely idea which we could revive maybe?

From the Coldplay section I remember the LP6 thread of course, that time Chris mentioned the title to his son on a plane and everyone was like "Ghost Stories? haha, what a ridiculous story I'm not buying that" and we moved on :|
    Also that day about 2 years ago where we had an... interesting conversation with the eFestivals forum. Basically they all believed Coldplay were gonna headline Glastonbury in 2015 because they had a ~reliable source~, however we had a slightly more reliable source or I don't know, but we were trying to convince each other we were right, while posting on our respective forums (and guess who was right in the end, ha!)
    I think that's all the Coldplay related stuff I remember for now.

Back to the activity on the site. Later in 2013 all the old "Loungers" left after a messy, messy day where Reilly was banned and everyone freaked out and yeah let's not talk about that too much lol. A couple of months later Ian, the original owner left too and the board was completely gone/closed for like a month, no one knew if/when it would return. When it was back online Ian announced he was selling everything for a shitload of money (logical, it's a massive site + social media accounts with a lot of followers). I think 97% of the active posters didn't believe someone would buy it so there was a big Goodbye thread and we were all exchanging twitter accounts to keep in touch. But then, like 30 minutes (?) before the auction thing closed, there was a bid. It was Marc; he took over, reorganised the team (almost all of the old moderators had left too) and was very ambitious but then - er well I don't remember the details and they don't matter either but well Stephen took over. Around the same time I think the forum software had had enough of it and basically broke :| I still don't know how it's possible but the last pages of threads wouldn't show up and posts didn't appear and well, RIP vBulletin. Fortunately Stephen is an IT genius and was able to move everything to a new software so COLDPLAYING LIVES! And here we are now.

Some other things I know of, but I wasn't here when they happened:
    -the Christmas Lights video: The band (meaning Debs, probably) contacted Ian about a special Q&A with some roadies and Phil - on a boat on the Thames. A certain number of people was invited so there was a competition and a lot of #hype ....but in the end it turned out to be a big lie, there was no Q&A. It was a video shoot and basically the Coldplaying people stood in the cold for a fairly long period of time and released balloons. As far as I know they were okay with that though haha. Then afterwards they weren't allowed to spoil anything until the video was out, that must've been quite hard.
    -the award the site received in 2011: Coldplaying won the BT Digital Music Award for best fansite. 2 moderators picked up the award at the ceremony. Unfortunately the BT Digital Music awards ceased to exist in 2011 so we never got the change to win again :(
    -how an innocent joke in a thread made a big part of the Coldplay fandom believe Jonny loves cake: In the early days of the LOLdplay thread, someone joked about Jonny loving cake. the joke kept being made until "Jonny loves cake" was so widespread no one remembered it was a joke. I too had to discover it was all a fable. Or maybe not, because who doesn't love cake?
    -this gem

alisbe, Coeurli, AMDB9 and 3 others like this.
  10. coldplayisawesome

By:coldplayisawesomeFeb 4, 2017
    Maybe I'm a ghost
    Coldplayer

it's funny how much of these events i've misplaced in time. going back i realized some things happened earlier than i thought they had, some later :p

well, my Coldplaying journey began in 2006... though, like many others, i joined the forums initially just as a way to download something from the multimedia section - the official coldplay.com forums were my home back then. but once those forums literally disappeared in early 2009 i decided to come back to Coldplaying because i needed a new place where i could talk to people who also loved Coldplay as much as i do. this was about halfway through the VIVA era, after the PFFA project that was mentioned before took place (i always miss the coolest projects on here :p). i was in 11th grade, so i had plenty of free time after school to come home and spend on here.

even with so many people, i got to know all the regulars by their names. i remember spending a lot of time in the Chris and C&J threads. i learned about fanfiction and started to write like crazy.

the liveblogs began that summer (sorry to all F5 buttons out there). it was incredible to not only have pictures of what was going on as it was going on, but to have the opportunity to email Anchorman and know that you might see your own name up on the website (which happened to me several times, and A-man was also pretty good about replying back to thank you emails when the show was over). i went to my first ever concert that summer.

The Oracle started around then, too. i don't remember exactly when, but i know it was VIVA era. that era had a lot of "characters" that it introduced to the Coldplayers. i think we knew Prospekt had been Phil, but for a while we didn't know the true identities of R42, Anchorman, or the Oracle. of course now we know for sure who all of these people are. but anyway, the Oracle was an awesome thing to have - we could finally get answers to our burning Coldplay questions! :p

one of the best memories i have from that era was the watch party for the South Bank Show episode as it aired. that video is still one of my favorite things because it kinda starts to fill the hole of not having any live DVD for such an incredible era. and the website changed. it was a really formal design - we were wondering if it had something to do with Wedding Bells, the song that Chris had just teased in the SBS??
    then a couple of months later everyone who was subscribed to the newsletters had gotten an email about something called the Exhibition Room opening up. we could submit pictures and video to them and they would pick something to feature every day. plenty of people on here submitted their works, then resubmitted once the first exhibit went up and it wasn't any of ours. :p a video that i made was actually the third (i think) exhibit to be featured, the first video and the first person from the forums, so that was awesome. and it gave my video a lot more views on youtube, haha

when the L.A. tour came, we got a new song in the form of Spanish Rain/Don Quixote. we were all still wondering what was going to happen to Wedding Bells, but definitely excited to have a new song no matter what. some people were iffy on it because it sounded too much like a Bruce Springsteen song, and of course since the boys had just gone through the mess of the Viva la Vida lawsuit it was easy to see why we might be concerned (more on this later).

then Coldplay sort of disappeared for a while. at one point Chris was performing at some Apple thing and he played a full version of Wedding Bells!! it looked like we had a preview of what we might expect from the next album. there was a new feature on iTunes called Ping (which so many people hated) and on Coldplay's page they had posted a video of Guy and Chris playing a xylophone.

like @Captain Crieff explained above, there was an opportunity presented to us late in 2010 to attend a Q&A session in London... on a boat. huh? well, of course we all wanted in on it even if it sounded weird anyway. :p some of my closer friends on here were picked to go (though one of them couldn't go because their parents wouldn't allow it). when people came back from that night they tried to tell us as much as they could without actually talking about what happened - i think they had to sign NDAs for it. it was only a few days later that the video came out, though. that was such a huge surprise. we realized how some of the pieces of Wedding Bells had been put into Christmas Lights and figured that probably we wouldn't get a studio version of WB.

at the end of the year, the boys had their End of the Decade sale. the promo video for it was hilarious. and everyone freaked out. they were auctioning off so much authentic Coldplay gear - guitars, Chris's outfit from the Strawberry Swing video - THE PARACHUTES GLOBE!! of course a lot of us were broke kids, but there were some people here who were able to buy these things and keep them safely in good Coldplayer hands. i've been wondering lately whether or not they might do something similar in 2020, but i guess we'll have to wait a few more years to see :p

it was about another five months before we heard from them again. they were posting weird gifs on twitter - those ended up being lyrics from a song called Every Teardrop is a Waterfall. the song premiered on radio on June 3, 2011. i woke up at about 6am to hear it with my friends. the reviews were VERY mixed. people realized the music was from a song called I Go to Rio and there was immediate panic about more plagiarism - until we realized that it was an actual sample (also, i remember Talk had this issue a lot, that people thought Talk was plagiarizing when Coldplay had actually gotten Kraftwerk's permission). but still a lot of people were put off by the title of the song, the lyrics, and the music itself.

we got to hear probably about half the album in the festivals the band played that summer. Glastonbury was INCREDIBLE. we got the studio version of Major Minus along with Moving to Mars on the ETIAW single. we were excited about all of these things, but starting to wonder when the actual album would come out or when they would even announce it (sound familiar, Kaleidoscope fans? :p). finally, they told us the title, gave us the album cover, and said that Paradise would come out the following month. no actual tracklisting yet. already, people were getting less and less enthused for this album - Mylo Xyloto? what kind of a name is that? and they were about as pleased to hear "para-para-Paradise" as they were for ETIAW. a lot of the people who were regulars in the VIVA era fell off the Coldplay train around then.

that's not to say the fandom wasn't still strong. and the era was a strong one for the band, too - maybe not in the same way that VIVA was. VIVA sort of felt like a first step, or maybe like dipping your toes in the water. in MX era i would say they started to wade even deeper (whereas AHFOD is probably dunking completely underwater). this era was even more visual, further exploring the idea of creating a singular theme that carries through the album and concerts. the Xylobands became a thing. it was so cool to see them working for the first time.

the website had changed again, of course. they introduced something called the Hypnofeed, just a way to share cool links. this and the Exhibition Room ran simultaneously for a while, but eventually the ER shut down and the Hypnofeed sort of took over.

@msimo4 you asked if the Oracle was active on here. Debs Wild visited occasionally, but not really. it was around this time, though, that people started to take big issue with the Oracle and how often the questions would be about relationships (i have to admit i sent in a fake question of the kind to see if it would get answered and it did :eek:). there was a huge mess at one point when she came on here and was talking to people about it. i think there was a lot of pressure on her (do you know how many questions would get submitted in one day?) and it wasn't really cool on our parts - not that it was everyone's fault. i think there were a handful of people who were kinda harsh to her. she ended up saying that she would talk to people through email but was done trying to explain herself to us on here. i got to talk to her for a bit after that, which was pretty cool.

the MX era continued... it's hard for me to remember a lot of specific things that happened, since i was going through changes in my own life what with finishing my time at community college and transferring to another university. i went to my second Coldplay concert, which was miraculously even better than the first. the Paralympics closing ceremony was super cool as well. a year later, Atlas was released. it felt so good to have a new Coldplay song again.
    it was around that time that i myself was on the forums less frequently. once the MX era was over and i had so much school stuff to focus on, it was difficult to dedicate too much of my time to the forums. a lot of the people i met on here were not active anymore and so i looked to FB, Tumblr, etc. to talk to them. i think i might have briefly visited the forums now and then during GS era.

one day in February 2014, while i was sitting in my 3D Modelling class, Coldplay released the video for Midnight out of nowhere. i was incredibly excited. the song was great, the video was great. we didn't know what to expect. Magic came out not too long after. it was a real shock for me when one day i saw "Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow split" and it wasn't just a dumb rumor. we got that interview from Zane Lowe with Chris. it was and still is hard to watch. sometimes i watch it anyway, because Chris had so many great things to say.

to me, GS doesn't feel like a real era. my brain sometimes forgets to count it as one of Coldplay's albums. and i think this has more to do with how short it was and how disconnected i was from the rest of the fandom at that time, not anything to do with the music. i like GS a lot, but it's hard for me to want to listen to it because i associate it with such sad emotions. "an emotional treadmill" if you will :p

Miracles came out toward the end of 2014, then nothing for a long time... we knew that Coldplay were working on their next album, so that was fine. even after AOAL and the album itself were released, i still hadn't come back to Coldplaying. it wasn't until the beginning of the summer last year that i really came back. once again, i found myself needing a place to connect with Coldplay fans. it's interesting to see how it's changed since the MX era, how far Coldplay fans have spread themselves on the internet. but it's nice to know that now there are "new" people here for me to talk to, new friends who have made me want to keep coming back every day. maybe too many times a day. :p :D

so yeah. sorry this was kinda long, but i've been here for a while and i mostly let my thoughts just take over.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  11. Gideon_Mx

By:Gideon_MxFeb 5, 2017
    Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
    Coldplayer

Wow, haha, I actually didn't know the story behind the LOLplay (Jonny loves cake) thread until now ! I love how this joke has become 'real' =D
    And I really had to laugh about, the last one, the gem hahaha! :laughing:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  12. msimo4

By:msimo4Feb 5, 2017
    Coldplayer

@jc90 That project sounds awesome! I would've totally done that. Ugh did I HAVE to miss out on all these awesome things?

@Captain Crieff Thanks for your post! I just spent ages reading through the Loldplay thread, but I couldn't find the first Jonny-cake post that started that joke. Do you know where it is? But that thread is pretty awesome, it encapsulates the activity of the site back then and how we dream for it to be the same now! Also, who was Reilly, and what was that whole thing about?

@coldplayisawesome Thanks so much, your post is epic! Have we actually found out who Prospekt, Anchorman and the Oracle are/were? I've already known about Roadie 42 being Miller, but I had no idea about the others. I've found recently that as a relatively new fan (GS era) and also a hardcore fan, that there's so many little things in the band's history that, while there was lots of word about it on the internet when it happened, you now have to dig around to find it and that it's really only the fans who have been through this stuff from the beginning that know about EVERYTHING. Because really it's only places like Wikipedia that have a detailed history of the band, and there's so many little, and even not so little things that Wikipedia doesn't have. For a lot of these things, Coldplaying has been almost the only way to find them out at all. Like for example, I only found out recently about how they teased and announced the ETIAW single release with the cryptic videos and titles and stuff through that HUGE ETIAW thread here on Coldplaying. And because those YouTube videos are unlisted and there's no mention of that on Wikipedia, Coldplaying has really been the only way to discover that stuff. Things like that. But the things is with this site, is that I find, along with most of these forum-type websites, the user interface to be quite confusing, and so to actually find things like these you have to dig deep and look everywhere to find out all of these cool little things, which is another reason why I want to create this huge history of the site.

With the Oracle, what do you mean by "questions about relationships", and why were people criticising Debs about it? And don't worry, I absolutely loved your post - the longer posts are what I adore reading! For me, I remember becoming a fan around July 2014 and reading the Oracle on their website. I thought it was so special and cool how they did that and all of the questions and answers were really awesome. And after that I realised that the general consensus with GS was that there was a bit of a drop in the activity of the fanbase around then, and so it's kind of interesting for me to look at the two different perspectives I had of that era, and looking back on what it was like for me.

Thanks guys for your posts, keep them coming everyone!

coldplayisawesome likes this.
  13. Captain Crieff

By:Captain CrieffFeb 5, 2017
    drinking pink rabbits
    Staff Member Moderator Honorary Coldplayer Coldplayer

I think it's this one, it's not the first mention of cake but here people started commenting on it https://coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/loldplay-i-can-haz-cake.61937/page-9#post-3466510

Reilly was an active poster from 2003 until 2013 but he had a reputation of being, well a bit of an asshole but in a specific Reilly-way. So there were often arguments and by 2013 he had 5 official warnings which means you're banned. It was all a bit double because while he was really annoying at times, he also contributed to the site a lot, so a lot of people didn't agree with the decision to ban him.

14. msimo4

Coldplayer

Lol ok, so that's where that started. It's funny because on the most recent page of that thread, the whole "caption these band photos" thing is still going. After all of those years, what it started as with those users who probably haven't been on this site for years is still continued in the exact same way with us new users. Cheesy, even for something like this, but still though. Represents what I cherish about this site.

And that's kinda interesting, you wouldn't happen to have any of their posts, would you?

15. coldplayisawesome

By:coldplayisawesomeFeb 5, 2017
    Maybe I'm a ghost
    Coldplayer

i wanna say the cake thing maybe started outside of the LOLdplay thread but really flourished there :p

well, like i said, Debs Wild was the Oracle and Phil was the one posing as Prospekt. i'm pretty sure we know who A-man is, but i don't remember his name off the top of my head D: but my memory says someone figured it out though because there was a picture of him taking a picture for one of the liveblogs, so we knew that must be A-man :p

as far as the Oracle... basically there were just a lot of questions that were like "my boyfriend/girlfriend is doing this thing, what should i do?" or "i like this person, what should i do?". people were getting annoyed because either they wanted answers to questions about the band or they had sent in questions and were upset about not getting chosen :p the questions that were being answered about the band seemed to be ones that had already been asked, or were fairly common knowledge among the people on here, so that got tiring also.
    Team Oracle became a thing after a while (which i forgot to mention, i think) which was just a question posted every Friday that people could then email answers to, basically just advice

i never thought about how difficult it might be for new Coldplay fans to learn or even to find information on stuff like this, which i just happen to have in my head because i lived through it. there's definitely a lot to sift through if you search on here :joy:

msimo4 likes this.
  16. msimo4

Coldplayer

That's awesome, I wonder who Anchorman is. And that's exactly my point, to really find out everything you have to dig deep to find all of those past little things.

17. Coeurli

By:CoeurliFeb 5, 2017
    #TeamLittleGirlies #GlutenTag

I didn't even have to click to know what this was about :joy::joy: An absolute classic

Gsilva and Captain Crieff like this.
  18. Acquiesce

By:AcquiesceMar 19, 2017
    I haven't been here in 4 years help
    Coldplayer

Hey,
    Coldplayer from 2009 here.

Honestly I'd love to give such an elaborate explaination about my time here which peaked in 2010 I think, but I was so young (teenager) and I honestly don't remember that much. I only now just came back to this site after four years after peaking into this in 2013 but the whole layout changed so much I left very fast again.

I do remember the whole boat thing/video vividly, but not being from the UK and being to young to travel on my own, it was just somewhat frustrating but still cool with all the 'buzz' going on. Some other random snippet I remember is Coldplay posting a hand-written christmas card on their website and someone discovered handwriting on the back of it by changing the lightning in photoshop, I thought that was crazy haha!
    We had a thread for the Belgians on the forum that was pretty active and I actually met some people from this site in real life. I'm still facebook friends with 3 of them and we actually still talk once in a while, which I think is amazing considering we met on a website 7 years ago!

Coming back to this forum brings many memories back though, and I really loved my time here. I think I left because I was getting more into different bands and I didn't really like the MX style. But everyone was always so friendly here it was awesome. Being a teenager on here at that time seems so much better than being a teenager now going on the internet, I feel there's much more hate now and I'm glad I never experienced this on coldplaying.
    I also loved the secret santa things they had here and I still have the postcard from someone in Texas!
    Also they had a thread for the free EP coldplay gave away at their concerts at the time (left-right-left-right-left), and you could talk to someone there and I actually got a spare one from someone who had collected 2 at a concert. That's how friendly everyone was haha :)
    I actually learned a lot of English through this site as well, I learned speaking and talking English by watching band interviews and british shows without subs, but I think my writing really improved by this forum. I was one of the best in English in high school, this forum might have something to do with it, which I'm very gratefull for as well :)

I only got the see Coldplay once in all those years because they keep coming to Belgium at the worst possible dates for me, or for ridiculous prices :/
    I'm still a student now so paying more than €100 for a concert is still impossible!

Anyway, I don't think I'll stick around this time as well, but I'll keep my profile, maybe in 4 years I'll come back again!

msimo4, alisbe, AMDB9 and 4 others like this.
  19. jc90

By:jc90Mar 19, 2017
    A Herp Full Of Derp

Cool story!

I nearly forgot this thread exists.

For anyone who wants to leave a question about 'the old days' as well, I'll try to answer.

msimo4 and coldplayisawesome like this.
  20. Jenjie

By:JenjieMar 19, 2017
    Coldplaying Founder
    Founder Coldplayer

The original version of Coldplaying was started by Ian during Christmas 2000. You used to be able to find it archived on google but I've not seen it recenty I forget when I got sucked in but it would have been in 2002.

I spent 10 years of my life attached to Coldplaying.com and it still feels weird to watch them live on tv or go to a concert and not have to run back and try to catch up on what happened on twitter and try to keep Wiki updated with all the amazing reviews that Coldplayers write.

There were plenty of dramas over the years but also so many good memories.

February 2009 - when I first met Coldplayers in real life queueing in the freezing, frosty, cold for the War Child gig.

September 2009 - more real life Coldpayers in the queue; a gig whilst 7 months pregnant; and a picnic in the park with Coldplayers from all over the world.

December 2010 - Chris and Mich came to visit us on their way to freeze in the Exeter snow!! They brought BabyBeeBurns his card from Coldplay (still think it's awesome that you guys and Debs secretly sorted that out for us) and the very generous present his Coldplaying Aunties & Uncles sent.