Everyday Life Leak Discussion [SPOILERS INSIDE]

beastwars

Light reflection to fade
Coldplayer
The only song I find out of context is Champion Of The World, the rest of the album flows quite well, despite of the diversities among the songs and some raw transitions

shred

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
First thoughts:
Sunrise - LiT still holds the candle as being the best instrumental. This maybe a second. Too soon to say. However, it’s a little long.

Church - weird. This is just...odd. Only the last part sound Coldplay-ish. Also, I don’t like how Chris sounds here. But I have to say the guitar is AMAZING.

Trouble In Town - oh.my.word. I just...wow. Just...wow

BroKen - I feel like this has been placed in the wrong order. After the dark TiT, this just seems out of place. Should have been swapped around with Daddy or...maybe released as a b-side. Heh.

Daddy - this could have easily been released during the AROBTTH or X&Y era and I wouldn’t have known the difference. Something about it reminds me of For You.

WOTW/POTP - erm what?

Arabesque - I love you. I will always love you. Wished I didn’t listened to you so much though. BUT THE HORNS STILL GET ME ALL THE TIME.

When I Need a Friend - would be better if it was just Chris singing. The choir (?) was distracting.

Oh hey. It’s the grandfather clock in my house.

Guns - that preview didn’t do it justice. Really curious to know if Chris did all the guitar work.

Orphans - oh hey, did you get lost? Should have shelved it for LP9. Does not fit with the whole album at all.

Eko - should have been a los unidades track. Heh. Weakest one so far.

Cry Cry Cry - it’s like a big warm hug! I’m surprise at how much I liked this. Should have been longer!

Old Friends - this sounds like one of a b-sides but I can’t put my finger on which one. My god it’s gonna bug me big time!

Bani Adam - Kaleidoscope reborn! Oh but wait there’s more. The second part is AMAZING. The guitar! My word. Should have been the whole song! Couldn’t care less about the piano at the start now. As soon as the guitar starts, that’s when the whole song started for me. And that transition...

Champion of The World - AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. ILOVEYOUSOMUCHPLEASEMARRYME.

Everyday Life - wondered if this would make more sense as a closer after listening to CotW and to the whole album and it kinda does. Links back to Sunrise - a la LiT/The Escapist. Do wished there was a hidden outro though to give it a finality to the album.

My thoughts are all over the place right now - just like the album. Ha. Need to listen to it a few more times to fully comprehend it. But there are a lot of positives in this album. There are so many instances where I went “OMG DID THEY JUST CREATE THAT?” After AHFOD, this is welcomed. And as an Oldplayer, this is VERY MUCH WELCOMED.

The album isn’t very in your face political which we all thought it was AND I’M THANKFUL FOR THAT.

Side note: I also think that the band is going to get a lot of flak from critics about this album. Lol.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Also, I don’t like how Chris sounds here.
Same. The strange vocal tone in addition to the cringey lyrics ("I worship in your church, babe, all day :D) really threw me off. It also doesn't really tie in lyrically with the rest of the album imho.

Also agree that BrokEn definitely does not feel right where it is in the tracklisting. In fact, I'm not a fan and would have scrapped it althogether.

I'm glad you love Champion of the World as much as I do :D

VCF

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I agree with what most of you have pointed towards BrokEN and Orphans being out of place. The transition is so natural between Trouble in Town and Daddy, I don't know what BrokEn is doing in between. Not the biggest fan of Guns as the opening track of Sunset either.

How would you sort the tracklist to fit better then? Though I'm not the biggest fan of changing albums order, I gave it a go and tried to listen to it that way:

Sunrise
Church
Trouble in Town
Daddy
WOTW/POTP
Arabesque
BrokEn
When I Need A Friend
Everyday Life
Orphans
Guns
Eko
Cry Cry Cry
Old Friends
Bani Adam
Champion Of The World

EDIT: Cry Cry Cry is really growing on me, really nice song honestly.

Ellie Joel Sarah

Coldplayer
After listening to the whole album, I'm glad that Orphans is the hit song that does not fit the album much as we sometimes see in the Coldplay albums. Like Yellow in Parachutes, Clocks in AROBTTH and ASFOS in Ghost Stories etc. I think Orphans is pretty good when you consider it like that. (I love Clocks but not the others)
Daddy reminded me of Gravity and Eko reminded me of U.F.O. You can say that I'm loving these.
Trouble In Town, Champion of the World, Arabesque, Everyday Life: PLEASE GIVE ME MORE
Church and Guns are cool.
Cry Cry Cry is interesting in a good way
Old Friends, BrokEn and When I Need a Friend are not bad but not impressed.
Bani Adam and Sunrise is okay.
I could not care less about WOTW/POTP.

maeli

Coldplayer
So after 3 listenings my favorites are: Sunrise, Church, Trouble in Town, Daddy, Arabesque, also Broken is good but on the false place... for me when i need a friend is the worst song. I dont like it.. in the second half Guns, Cry, Cry, Cry, Old Friends and Bani Adam and Champion of the world are Great with a good closer Everyday Life. For me Eko , When i Need a friend and WoTw i dont like a lot . the Album Reminds me a lot of Parachutes...

andrewsky

The Scientist
Coldplayer
Also, I know a lot of people here really dislike AHFOD but while I know it's not their best work, I'm always so shocked by the amount of hate it gets.

I have such positive memories of that era
I was listening to A Head Full Of Dreams much more than MYLOXYLOTO over the years.
Both albums are not in my Top 5 Coldplay albums but still I don't dislike them.

AmbroseCadwell

Future Reflector
Coldplayer
Still needs more prominent electric guitar to totally win me over but this is the best thing they've put out since Prospekt's March, definitely. Sounds more like the acoustic direction they were supposedly taking before those sessions turned into Mylo Xyloto. No idea why they put BrokEn inbetween Trouble In Town and Daddy, breaking up the 'heartbeat' transition. Seems like there were some last-minute sequencing decisions on this one. Great to hear so much more emphasis on Guy's parts.

Still think Everyday Life needs more of an outro to not feel like an anti-climax, Champion Of The World isn't quite catchy or memorable enough to be up there with the big singles from AROBTTH and X&Y like some seem to be comparing it to, it's closer to DLIBYH for me. But I love Trouble In Town and Church, if AHFOD sounded more like the latter I wouldn't have minded nearly as much! This is what Coldplay doing pop should always have sounded like. The production on Church reminds me of "Ray Of Light"-era William Orbit, definite early-00s vibes. And the mixing and mastering is some of the best I've heard on a Coldplay album. I imagine the focus on piano and acoustic guitar helps that a lot.

Does anyone else think that Church and Everyday Life sound as if they have the same chords/melody? Cool bookending technique if so.

Choldplayer

Coldplayer
Well, thank God the AHFOD, MX era of songs is over. This album is so, so much better than the previous two IMHO. It's more refined, mature. I get heavy influences of U2, Echo and the Bunnymen and earlier Coldplay. Its not without its weaker points but in general a massive step in the right direction.

Vitamin Z

Coldplayer
Wow, just wow - I never expected this. This is unlike anything they've ever done before and it's fantastic, such a breath of fresh air after AHFOD. I listened to the full album in bed last night and it is so, so good. But here's my track by track:

Sunrise - Absolutely beautiful arrangement. I'm not big on classical music but this is brilliant. Possibly a little too long? 8.5/10
Church - I've seen a lot of negativity around this song, but I think it's one of the best on the album. It's got such a chill vibe through it - I can imagine listening to this on a summers day. The addition of the female vocals at the end is a great touch too. I imagine this will be a single, and I think it'd do well! 10/10
Trouble in Town - I would never, ever expect a song like this from Coldplay but this is just brilliant. It's so, so dark and I love how the song takes a heavier turn after the police sample. Such a brilliant commentary on police brutality too. 9.5/10
BrokEn - Unfortunately, gospel isn't my cup of tea so I'm not a big fan. However, objectively speaking, it isn't a bad song. 6/10
Daddy - I'm lost for words with this. I thought the title was awful, but the song sounds like it's from a child so the title fits perfectly. My dad left me when I was 5 and I haven't seen him since, and this song just reminds me of how I felt. Gut-wrenching, but this is so so good. 10/10
WOTW/POTP - This is a weird one, it's almost 'too' raw - I can barely make out the lyrics. However, in the context of the album it's quite nice 6/10
Arabesque - Ever since this came out it's been on repeat. I don't even care that the sax solo is really long, it fits perfectly. And the ending, as everyone knows, is sublime. 10/10
When I Need A Friend - I enjoy this more than BrokEn, but still a slight weaker point of the album for me. I do love the atmosphere of the song though! 7.5/10

Guns - Short but packs one hell of punch! This takes me back to the VLV demos in a very good way. Short but perfect how it is I thnk 9/10
Orphans - I loved this when it came out, probably not as much as Arabesque but it's still 'Newplay' done right. It does feel a little out of place though 8/10
Eko - Such a lovely song, I love how soft and melodic it is.. Reminds me a little bit of Strawberry Swing :) 9/10
Cry Cry Cry - Very soulful, I wasn't too keen on it at first but it's growing on me a lot! '8.5/10
Old Friends - I like it, but it's a bit similar to Eko for me so slightly forgettable. May grow on me more 7.5/10
Bani Adam - That piano is haunting and reminds me so much of Famous Old Painters. Then the drums come in and takes it to another level - brilliant. Maybe my favourite instrumental piece by them 9/10
Champion Of The World - Now THIS is what we've all been craving for! This song sounds like it's been plucked right from AROBTTH for me. And to top it off it has an epic crescendo. Amazing! 10/10
Everyday Life - A very calm and soothing ending for the album as we all know 9/10