Everyday Life Leak Discussion [SPOILERS INSIDE]

United

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
My Favorites: Sunrise, Trouble In Town, Daddy, When I Need A Friend, Champion Of The World.
My Least Favorites: Church, WOTW/POTP, Eko.

Famous Old Painter

KICKS LIKE A SLEEP TWICH
Coldplayer
I’m glad they’re finally moving away from the MX/AHFOD sound but not gonna lie, I’m not enjoying it as much as I hoped I would

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Day 2: this album is a strange mix of weaker moments (all those unfinished, demo-y, Chris-only or Chris + backing singers songs) and absolute masterpieces (Champion of the World, Trouble in Town, Arabesque, Everyday Life) with some good but not outstanding songs thrown in (Daddy, Sunrise,...)

And for those masterpieces alone the album is worth listening.

shaker-sonic

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I’m glad they’re finally moving away from the MX/AHFOD sound but not gonna lie, I’m not enjoying it as much as I hoped I would
There's nothing wrong with the MX/AHFOD sound. The songwriting is what actually counts. In my opinion, as long as there's good delivery and creative pop elements, I will be satisfied. I truly enjoyed the energy and high spirit of several songs during these two eras. They truly diversified Coldplay's catalog and seperated them from one-dimensional alternative bands like Keane, Snow Patrol or Muse.

brentb9

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Not every song needs every member of the band. That sort of thinking is what leads to the bombastic ness of MX.
While I do agree that not every song needs every member of the band, there A LOT of songs on this album that is literally just Chris and a guitar or piano or choir. (Broken, Daddy, WOTW, When I Need a Friend, Guns, Eko, Cry Cry Cry, Old Friends) Songs can definitely be minimal and intimate with the whole band being involved ex: like all of Parachutes. While I really do love this album, it does feel a little weird with so many songs being very solo

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
That's neat, what stuff in particular?
Arabesque is from a jam session the band did when Brian Eno had Chris leave the studio for 2 weeks. This is what we know so far, but probably other song parts are coming from there as well. I actually submitted that question to the bandfor the fan Q&A, I hope it gets picked !

Captain Crieff

drinking pink rabbits
Staff member
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Alright I caved and listened to the plumbing issue. I loved MX when it came out, but after a few years I basically never listened to it anymore. The same happened with Ghost Stories, except that I got bored after a few months instead of years. AHFOD just left me cold, there are only 2 songs on it that I really like.

So I'm really happy this album is so different from those 3, fuck yes. Finally. It's a weird one though, a very weird one...

Sunrise - promising beginning of the album, gave me major VLV vibes which is always a good thing.
Church - I'm an atheist and I 'struggled' (for the lack of a better word) with the God related lyrics on Amazing Day so I was Sceptical about this title and... yeah, those lyrics are um. not Chris best I'd say, to put it mildly. Luckily Jonny attempts to save the song like he often does, but for now I don't like this track at all
Trouble in Town - I read great things about this one when I couldn't look away from this thread yesterday. Unfiltered thoughts while listening for the first time: BASS. political Coldplay rises!! YESSSSS. AROBTTHCOLDPLAYRISES fdhfghgfhgf
BrokEn - yeah, me after hearing Trouble in Town. Anyway. This is weird. This is one of the tracks that makes me call it a weird album. I dunno if I needed gospel!Coldplay in my life honestly. Also why can't we just format it like normal oldskool titles without random capital letters
Daddy - Nice piano melody. Reminds me of Fly On which is not really a good thing in my case. I'm afraid I got a bit bored halfway. Also, funny how those birds pop up at the end haha. Of course it's not a Coldplay album without some birdies or references to flying!
WOTW/POTP - More bird vibes. Um. Why did they put a half-assed demo on the record? Odd.
Arabesque - bop. SAME FUCKING BLOOD. Love this song.
When i need a friend - uh hallelujah? Will be interesting live unless they just take the choir to Jordan. Dunno, not my bag, this one. Spanish at the end which means the languages count is now at 3.
Interludes - enough with the church stuff now pls. I'm generally not a fan of interludes and these feel quite weird too
Guns - NOW we're talking! I LOVE SWEARING CHRIS AND I LOVE THIS LIL SONG. Just wish it was a little bit longer
Orphans - bop. It's a bit weird to hear it after such an angry song, but we'll get used to that I suppose.
Eko - This is a cute song I guess. Needs more listens maybe.
Cry Cry Cry - is that Crazy Frog? jk. This one is different, I like it. I think. Needs more listens too.
Old Friends - I wrote down "Parachutes vibes"
Bani Adam - The first half made me wish I could play the piano. The languages count is now at 4, decent. (I'm a translator and languages freak in case that wasn't clear lol)
Champion of the world - Now this. Is. Exactly what I wanted??? Holy shit. Best song on the album. I can't stop listening to it
Everyday Life - Yeah meh (especially after the previous track), maybe this will grow on me but I somehow doubt it

yoyo2000

Comme deux gouttes d’eau
Coldplayer
Arabesque is from a jam session the band did when Brian Eno had Chris leave the studio for 2 weeks. This is what we know so far, but probably other song parts are coming from there as well. I actually submitted that question to the bandfor the fan Q&A, I hope it gets picked !
Also, Bani Adam

beastwars

Light reflection to fade
Coldplayer
Sunrise 8
Church 9
Trouble In Town 9
BrokEn 8
Daddy 8
WOTW/POTP 7
Arabesque 8
When I Need A Friend 7

Guns 9
Orphans 7
Eko 7
Cry Cry Cry 8
Old Friends 7
Bani Adam 8
Champion Of The World 7
Everyday Life 10

Rating: 79/100

Parachutes-AROBTTH-X&Y-VLVODAAHF

Everyday Life
Ghost Stories

MX-AHFOD

42Escapist

You could be me, I could be you
Coldplayer
I'm giving in and listening right now. I'm currently on Eko... so far this album is something really special. That's all I'm gonna say now.

pansonic

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Do you guys know of any other songs similar to Guns? I like that it's fast and raw, with minimal instrumentation.

Miha

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Bani Adam is from that era, it was performed live in December 2010!

Famous Old Painter

KICKS LIKE A SLEEP TWICH
Coldplayer
I have a strange feeling after 2 or 3 listenings ... I think this is by far their darkest album. Maybe i was used to hear more joyful sounds after 10 years but this one is really heavy. Great but heavy.
Yeah, wasn't expecting that at all. I assumed Ghost Stories was about as dark as Newplay were ever going to get. I was very wrong. This album might be even darker than AROBTTH, which is crazy considering they just came off the heels of AHFOD.