Everyday Life Leak Discussion [SPOILERS INSIDE]

Captain Crieff

drinking pink rabbits
Staff member
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I mean, that's exactly what happened when it came to swearing
this is very offtopic but omg is that an Editors lyric in your miniprofile or what's it called? (I mean it definitely is, but maybe that phrase is used more widely than I'm aware of haha)

Thegrosben2

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
To me, Cry Cry Cry is love at first listen, love the jazzy vibes, my favorite so far

I feel that only Orphans is radio-friendly, and im so happy the acoustic is back

42Escapist

You could be me, I could be you
Coldplayer
Alright, so I just finished listening to the album...

Wow.

Wow. This is the return to form I've been hoping for.

There isn't really a single weak moment... instead there are so many highlights, so many cool little moments and so much experimentation throughout. Who would have thought we'd get a gospel song (BrokEn), a really old fashioned track that sounds like something my great grandparents would have loved (Cry Cry Cry), something that sounds like a Catholic hymn or Gregorian chant (When I Need a Friend), something that sounds like Chris busking on a beach in Costa Rica (WOTW/POTP), something so downright angry and political (Trouble In Town, Arabesque, and Guns), a classical-sounding piano piece that doesn't end as quickly as Postcards From Far Away and then turns into this piece with vibes that remind me of A Spell A Rebel Yell (Bani Adam), a Stargate-produced song that isn't cheesy and horribly mixed (Church), a song that sounds like it could have been on Parachutes (Old Friends), voice memos throughout that don't detract from the flow of the album...

Well done. This is something truly special.

Technicolour TX

Adventures of a Lifetime
Coldplayer
Haven't posted in awhile, it's great to be back!

I listened to the album last night, heard it 3 times already through today.

Dark, gritty, organic, progressive, atmospheric....it's like VLV and Ghost Stories with more social commentary, but not overly political which is great in my book.

Favorites: Church, Arabesque, Broken, Everyday Life

I'm sure that list will change soon, as I'm slowly getting used to the other songs too. Quite experimental and unusual, which I love. Hopefully the band will pick a few from this album to play live when the next "proper" one comes out next year, there are some great gems on this record. However, I can understand not touring this album as it's quite dark and I'm unsure how some songs would translate to a live show, at least in the usual "party" atmospheres that are usually live.

Brilliant stuff !

getithom

Baby blue.
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer

Wow.

There isn't really a single weak moment... instead there are so many highlights, so many cool little moments and so much experimentation throughout. Who would have thought we'd get a gospel song (BrokEn), a really old fashioned track that sounds like something my great grandparents would have loved (Cry Cry Cry), something that sounds like a Catholic hymn or Gregorian chant (When I Need a Friend), something that sounds like Chris busking on a beach in Costa Rica (WOTW/POTP), something so downright angry and political (Trouble In Town, Arabesque, and Guns), a classical-sounding piano piece that doesn't end as quickly as Postcards From Far Away and then turns into this piece with vibes that remind me of A Spell A Rebel Yell (Bani Adam), a Stargate-produced song that isn't cheesy and horribly mixed (Church), a song that sounds like it could have been on Parachutes (Old Friends), voice memos throughout that don't detract from the flow of the album...

Great review! How would you rank the albums after your first listen?

42Escapist

You could be me, I could be you
Coldplayer
Great review! How would you rank the albums after your first listen?
Right now, I'd have to say...

1. X&Y
  2. Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
  3. A Rush of Blood to the Head
  4. Everyday Life
  5. Parachutes
  6. Ghost Stories
  7. Mylo Xyloto
  8. A Head Full of Dreams
I certainly never expected to enjoy LP8 enough that I'd rank it higher than an "Oldplay" album. It's possible that with more listens, Everyday Life could creep into that top 3. Time will tell.

Jdckcom

Cold and Vicious
Coldplayer
Arabesque is from a jam session the band did when Brian Eno had Chris leave the studio for 2 weeks. This is what we know so far, but probably other song parts are coming from there as well. I actually submitted that question to the bandfor the fan Q&A, I hope it gets picked !
I hear bits of the "Viva La Vida" era all over this new record. "Old Friends" reminds me of one the demo songs that got leaked back then ("Goodbye And Goodnight") and the second half of "Bani Adam" has a guitar arrangement reminiscent of "A Spell A Rebel Yell".

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
The languages count is now at 4, decent. (I'm a translator and languages freak in case that wasn't clear lol)
Actually, the language count is at 6 by the end of the album:

English
Arabic (Church)
unknown African (?) language (Trouble in Town)
French (Arabesque)
Spanish (When I Need A Friend)
Persian (Bani Adam)
unknown language (Bani Adam/Champion of the World) - can anyone figure out what that language is ?

Captain Crieff

drinking pink rabbits
Staff member
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Actually, the language count is at 5 by the end of the album:

English
Arabic (Church)
French (Arabesque)
Spanish (When I Need A Friend)
Persian (Bani Adam)
unknown language (Bani Adam/Champion of the World) - can anyone figure out what that language is ?
oohhh I missed the Arabic! Excellent

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator

Wow.

And please do not forget the baby that AROBTTH and X&Y made together...Champion of the World ! :D

United

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
What irritates me the most about the Church is its bubble gummy AHFOD production. And they placed it right after the serious and classical Sunrise instrumental.

HowCouldIForget

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Sunrise- 9.5
Church- 9.0
Trouble in Town- 9.5
BrokEn- 7.0
Daddy- 10
WOTW/POTP- NA (Can't understand the lyrics)
Arabesque- 10
When I Need a Friend- 8.5

Guns- 9.5
Orphans- 6.5
Eko- 10
Cry Cry Cry- 7.5
Old Friends- 9.0
Bani Adam- 8.5
Champion of the World- 9.0
Everyday Life 8.0

I definitely prefer the first half

Albums
VlVoDaAHF (98)
ARoBttH (96)
Parachutes (93)
Mylo Xyloto (91)
Everyday Life (88-90)
X&Y (83)
A Head Full of Dreams (73)
Ghost Stories (61)

Last edited:

dylanww73

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Curve ball opinion: anyone think the band actually wanted this album to leak so early like this? The last couple of years has, I've been told ;) seen very little leaks of major albums outside a couple of days of the official release, so coupling this with the old-school promo methods we've seen for EL, what's to say that this is their way of adding to the hype?

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
What irritates me the most about the Church is its bubble gummy AHFOD production. And they placed it right after the serious and classical Sunrise instrumental.
Yeah same...and guess which Producer duo is responsible for this again
:rolleyes:

Somehow I feel like this was an AHFOD Era leftover. cause I'm Pretty sure they didn't call Stargate up again to work with them on precisely one song. It also doesn't fit lyrically with the rest of the album.