Everyday Life Leak Discussion [SPOILERS INSIDE]

VCF

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
First listen done, too early to give a clear review but what I'm sure of is that this is definitely the most interesting release since Viva. The short songs are cool/interesting/not so-Coldplay enough to be more than fillers we will forget.

I don't think there is a single bad song in it, I agree with BrokEN being too American but I can do with it. At least it's different, I'm just happy to see Coldplay going out of their comfort zone! Will need more listens for some songs though (as I Ran Away said you can clearly hear what song has been produced by Stargate :/ ).

Favorites at first sight: Champion of the World (!!!), Daddy, Trouble in Town, Arabesque, Eko, Old Friends.

The Adversary

Weapon of the Future
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
The fading in from WOTW/POTP into Arabesque is one of my favourite moments on the album.

I’ve been sat here grinning like an absolute fool for the better part of an hour. I just can’t believe how much I love this. This is exactly what I’ve been asking for years. Indie, Angsty, X&Y esque moments and I’m getting a big dark country vibe from it.

More articulated discussion to come but I’m a bit overwhelmed at the moment. [spoiler/]

prco1994

Always in My Head
Coldplayer
the loud and strong back vocals form Will on "Champion of the World" are everything

yoyo2000

Comme deux gouttes d’eau
Coldplayer
Sunrise
It is really good! A unique opener to a unique album.

Church
Those drums!!! One of the best on the album. I don't like a lot the production on vocals.

Trouble In Town
I adore it! The first half sounds like For You and E-lo had a baby.
I think the snippets ruin the song...

BrokEn

Weird and something Coldplay wouldn't put out in any way. A good filler. Only Chris, the choir and a simple drum beat in this one.

Daddy
The melody reminds me Famous Old Painters. The lyrics are VERY simple, but I don't mind. Very emotional and Viva-esque. Vocals remind me Prospekt's March. The xylophone is a well-suited addition to the song and sounds a bit like No Surprises.

WOTW/POTP
Just a demo of a seemingly forgetable tune. :(

Arabesque
The best f*cking song on the album PERIOD.

When I Need A Friend

VERY weird! I think it is a good experimental filler nothing more... Again only Chris and a choir.
The snippet in the end seems to me random AF. I like the rain sounds and the bells

Guns

One of my favourites! Raw, real and energetic chorus. The accoustic guitar shines

Orphans
"Feel Good Indie Pop" done right. Good production, exploding chorus, sophisticated verses. Powerful message.

Eko

Simple lyrics, quiet and accoustic. Nothing exceptional though.

Cry Cry Cry
I know a lot of you won't like this one. I need to listen to it a few more times, but listening to it a couple of times I love it. I like this kind of lo-fi jazzy songs and Coldplay did it the right way.

Old Friends

Similar to Eko, accoustic. Again only Chris.

Bani Adam

Kaleidoscope is that you? :joy:
The piano interlude is very similar to Kaleidoscope, but longer and more complex. I can't wait to learn playing it on piano!
The second half is very interesting instrumentally. Again the poem and the snippets shout I'm Kaleidoscope 2.0!

Champion Of The World

My second favourite after Arabesque. It is much more memorable than any other song on the album, except maybe Orphans.
Oldplay for sure, the chorus reminds me a bit Christmas Lights. And the first time you can hear electric guitar after Orphans. :(

Everyday Life

It sums up the album very well. One of the best on the album. I wish it had more of Jonny.

Overall

The music and the production are a BIG relief after AHFOD. Chris's vocals are very prominent and most the songs seem well-thought and experimental. I may say that it is as experimental as VLV, but definitely not their "Kid A", this is still Coldplay. I need to listen to it a few more times, but I think it's safe to say it's their best work of this decade.

I think that snippets ruin the experience. I wouldn't mind for one or two, but this album has a ton of them...
Then, I think one of the pros of AHFOD was that all members had their part in all of the songs. A lot of the songs on EL sound like Chris going solo with the help of all these collaborators. At least it's a good sign that, in this period in music history, they don't have any major collaborator in any of the songs.

Will has some prominent vocal moments in the album, drums are a bit soft and minimal.
Jonny and Guy are restrained in most of the songs, but their contribution is astonishing!

The Adversary

Weapon of the Future
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
The snippets are one of my favourite things about this album, very experimental and something people thought Coldplay wouldn’t be capable of putting a bit of edginess into their music. Glad the band proved them all wrong.

The Adversary

Weapon of the Future
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
The intro to Trouble in Town is excellent, it just completely drags you in. The atmosphere transports you to the world of the song. Brilliant.

getithom

Baby blue.
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
The snippets are one of my favourite things about this album, very experimental and something people thought Coldplay wouldn’t be capable of putting a bit of edginess into their music. Glad the band proved them all wrong.
I'm not listening, so maybe you'll be able to help me out. What does everyone mean by 'snippets?' Did something get released I hadn't known about?

The Adversary

Weapon of the Future
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I'm not listening, so maybe you'll be able to help me out. What does everyone mean by 'snippets?' Did something get released I hadn't known about?
There’s different ‘Voice Memos’ of people talking over the music in certain songs, is the only way I could describe them

In Trouble in Town it’s what seems to be an argument between a racist cop and Malcolm X and there’s profanity. It’s great really, there’s some intensity in that song.[spoiler/]

shred

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
With all the flak Daddy got I’m surprise it’s getting a lot of love! Lol.

The Adversary

Weapon of the Future
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Orphans to me seems the odd one out on this album. It sort of breaks the flow, I know the band said it was meant for a different album and I think that’s really evident.

Revolverwin

Champion of the World
Coldplayer
I've got to say this is one of the strangest release they'd put out. Done with my first listen of the album and I'm quite surprised about it (in a really good way). Will probably share my opinions per track later on. Need to sleep for now because it's already 1am here.

yanksrock1000

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
After first listen, all I can say is this is the most unique we’ve heard Coldplay in years (and it’s a bit overwhelming). There are some really amazing tracks on this album. Each song is unique in its own way. Worth the wait (and not just the last couple months, but the wait the last several years)

Ellie Joel Sarah

Coldplayer
Guys, This is amazing! As a big Ghost Stories fan, this is absolutely their best album since VLV. I got to agree with the decision of not touring with this album. I think Sunrise is better than Sunset but not with a big margin. Cry Cry Cry is pretty interesting to say the least and I loved it. That's all I can say right now since I listened to it just once.

Miha

Coldplayer
Thanks everybody! Happylistening and make sure you buy the album! :)