Everyday life - the track - Sunset

the_escapist

Just a flock of birds
Coldplayer
Can we already agree that it is already the weakest closing track from all their albums?
I hope that the album version includes some sort of hidden track after that abrupt ending, but I believe it is highly unlikely.

Everything's Not Lost/Life Is For Living
Amsterdam
'Til Kingdom Come
Death And All His Friends
Up With The Birds
O
Up&Up

Jdckcom

Cold and Vicious
Coldplayer
Can we already agree that it is already the weakest closing track from all their albums?
I hope that the album version includes some sort of hidden track after that abrupt ending, but I believe it is highly unlikely.

Amsterdam
'Til Kingdom Come
Up With The Birds
O
Up&Up
I think we may have to wait until we hear the entire record to make this kind of assessment. I personally do like 2 (or even 3) of those songs better when they stand on their own but I still want to wait to hear the whole album.

kcp

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I’m quite surprised with everyone’s thoughts on this song .. honestly I thought it fit perfect as a close .. in this crazy messed up world we still have to go in in everyday life . And just gotta say halaluigh you’ve gotten to wake up for another day .. a very quite outtro but I really like it . Seems like an ending of all the thoughts we’ll get to hear when we hear the album as a whole . Maybe I’m to sentimental lol

HowCouldIForget

Coldplayer

Amsterdam
'Til Kingdom Come
Up With The Birds
O
Up&Up
I would take this over Up&Up, at least the studio version that is. The rest are better though. Death and All His Friends as the best for me.

shred

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer

Amsterdam
'Til Kingdom Come
Up With The Birds
O
Up&Up
I do prefer this over Up&Up only because this one sounds more like their old style.

thetwinparadox

Seize the means of record production
Coldplayer
Really not sure why y'all think this song isn't finished or is lacking a Death and All His Friends climax? This isn't a song for the stadiums, it's a nice, gentle, somber closer that moves without being dramatic. With just enough of a glimmer of hope. It's a smooth, subdued finale that resigns itself to the quirks and frustrations of the thing it's titled after. And, unlike Coldplay's weakest songs, it never pretends to be something it's not. Just like everyday life, Everyday Life just simply exists, and that's what makes it beautiful.

This isn't meant to be Fix You or Amsterdam part 2. Inserting a massive singalong chorus would be like shouting "fire!" in the middle of the night when everyone's sleeping. Coldplay are favoring Ghost Stories's grace and restraint over AHFOD's melodrama, which is a very welcome change of pace. Not everything needs a climax or huge explosion. Besides, isn't Orphans about how there are too many explosions in the world? ;)

42Escapist

You could be me, I could be you
Coldplayer
I've been listening to the studio version of Everyday Life on repeat and honestly... wow. It's really beautiful. In terms of sheer beauty, it ranks up there with Gravity, Fix You, Fly On, Death And All His Friends, and the like.

I adore the production. Jonny's E-bow especially steals the show here, it compliments those strings perfectly. The lyrics are beautiful, with what seems to be an REM reference (Everybody Hurts) in there. I still think the song ends too abruptly, but it all makes more sense to me in this studio version compared to the SNL performance. In time, this might end up being one of my favorite Coldplay album closers.

This era is turning out to be really special. Wow.

42JTR

Watching my life on the skyline
Coldplayer
Really not sure why y'all think this song isn't finished or is lacking a Death and All His Friends climax? This isn't a song for the stadiums, it's a nice, gentle, somber closer that moves without being dramatic. With just enough of a glimmer of hope. It's a smooth, subdued finale that resigns itself to the quirks and frustrations of the thing it's titled after. And, unlike Coldplay's weakest songs, it never pretends to be something it's not. Just like everyday life, Everyday Life just simply exists, and that's what makes it beautiful.

This isn't meant to be Fix You or Amsterdam part 2. Inserting a massive singalong chorus would be like shouting "fire!" in the middle of the night when everyone's sleeping. Coldplay are favoring Ghost Stories's grace and restraint over AHFOD's melodrama, which is a very welcome change of pace. Not everything needs a climax or huge explosion. Besides, isn't Orphans about how there are too many explosions in the world? ;)

Spot on.

AnnaElisabeth

Light a fire, a flame in my heart
Coldplayer
Have to agree, after a few listens.

I feel like this song could have been a huge 5 and a half minute long tear jerker, particularly at the end... It definitely feels like it's building towards something and doesn't quite get there.

Must admit though, that string arrangement is gorgeous, and I really like that there's no big introduction of drums. We're yet to listen to the album so it may make a lot more sense in the scheme of it.
100% agree! The opening gave me goosebumps though. Gorgeous but could have been a minute longer!

Blockflote

We'll be glowing in the dark!
Coldplayer
This is one of their best closers!

I don't think it needs anything else longer. It's just the way it is. It's a philosophical reflection of everyday life at the end of the day, calling out for hope into the next one... as a kind of mental prayer.

CP-EST

Coldplayer
My opinion: Coldplay's "Imagine"!
But let's get to there....

It's just a nice and beautiful little song, which closes the album. It has a really classic Coldplay feel to it, production is complete and not overdone. It's not going to be the big hit single in the current music scene and being the last song of the album, it probably is supposed to work much better after listening the whole album.

Lack of climax? At first I felt the same with for example Always in my Head. I think we are associating Coldplay too much with massive climaxes and wait for these to happen, getting a bit disappointed when song just ends simply.

Every song doesn't need to have a climax. Imagine by John Lennon has climax? - No... In a way Everyday Life actually is very similar to Imagine actually for me. Just a simple down-to-earth song, which is not trying to be anything more.

P.S. I'm not trying to say you should literally compare these two songs now, because Imagine is something legendary and saint, but the way Everyday Life and Imagine deliver the message, feels very similar for me.

Aby_coldheart104

Multi-Fandom Player
Coldplayer

Thank you very much for this thought.
Everyday Life is not a bombastic song and it doesn't need to be. It's sentimental song of reflection to a likely sentimental album of reflection of the world today. I didn't even remember it was the closer when I first heard it. I just think it's a great song on its own. With it's beautiful lyrics and simplistic sounding music.
You guys be trippin' here.