Fun (feat Tove Lo)

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
Jedi, you have such a way with words. I totally see what you mean now. Your theory makes sense.
Haha it's actually so nice to geek out about lyrics and the meanings behind even if it's a bit gossipy sometimes hehe
I'm very happy I can share that with you and fellow geeky coldplayers here :))

Jack1505

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I think this has ot be my favourite song on the album. I really love the duet with Tove Lo. Does anyone know how that collaboration came about?

joecortazzo

Joe Cortazzo
Coldplayer
This is my favorite song on the album. Why hasn't Coldplay played it live yet?!?!

42Escapist

You could be me, I could be you
Coldplayer
This is my favorite song on the album. Why hasn't Coldplay played it live yet?!?!
Fun sounds like a song that would work well live, both electric on the main stage and acoustic on the c-stage. I really wish they would just go ahead and play it! If they're concerned about Tove Lo's part, just have Will sing it or make it prerecorded like Beyoncé and Rihanna on their respective collaborations.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Fun sounds like a song that would work well live, both electric on the main stage and acoustic on the c-stage. I really wish they would just go ahead and play it! If they're concerned about Tove Lo's part, just have Will sing it or make it prerecorded like Beyoncé and Rihanna on their respective collaborations.
One of my favorites off AHFOD too, wish they would play it...

bdevil89

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I'm in disbelief that they don't play the whole album in the tour set. Army of One and Fun are two of the more radio friendly and stadium level tracks. Either they're planning it for down the road, in terms of timing it for single release, or they just are too shy to play them as they aren't well known. But, Birds is a decent song that most people don't know and they play it all the time.

On Fun, love Jonny's riffs to open the song - he's such a master at it. Beautiful song with heart felt lyrics, and epic chorus. Same with Army of One.. perhaps we should start a petition.

karvi22

Coldplayer for life.
Coldplayer
Maybe they're planning to play this song in a possible second leg next year... why not? :)

42Escapist

Coldplayer
Maybe they're planning to play this song in a possible second leg next year... why not? :)
Interesting theory! Or maybe Tove Lo will appear at a Coldplay concert later this year and perform the song with them. She doesn't start touring until September 3rd so there is a chance that she could show up before then. I'm a little surprised that she didn't do this when Coldplay were in her home city of Stockholm, though.

Batman

My batshake brings all the spam to the yard
Coldplayer
One of the very best songs of this album and they don't play it live :smiley:

:smiley:

Imagine Will would sing Tove Lo's part, he could totally bring that :smiley:

But that won't ever happen :smiley:

coldplayisawesome

Maybe I'm a ghost
Coldplayer
One of the very best songs of this album and they don't play it live :smiley:

Imagine Will would sing Tove Lo's part, he could totally bring that :smiley:

But that won't ever happen :smiley:

when are we ever going to get a song where the duet is Chris and Will... and like Will gets his own solo parts, not just backing...
can we write a strongly worded letter to Coldplay? :p

gai

when are we ever going to get a song where the duet is Chris and Will... and like Will gets his own solo parts, not just backing...
that is very coldplay of you.

42Escapist

Coldplayer
That's actually how they originally wanted to do Princess of China, but they changed it because they thought his was better for a female singer like Rihanna.

Christa42

Irresponsible baby clutching onto aeroplane wing
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Really wished they would have played this song on tour.
http://musicfeeds.com.au/features/sexuality-femininity-individuality-tove-lo-talks-the-inspiration-behind-new-album-lady-wood/
Sexuality, Femininity & Individuality: Tove Lo Talks The Inspiration Behind New Album ‘Lady Wood’

Tove Lo may be the busiest person in pop music. Even if she only released her first solo song of the year Cool Girl in August, we’ve heard from her repeatedly throughout the whole year with multiple features. She added power to Flume’s Say It, sex to Years & Years’ Desire, emotion to Broods’ Freak Of Nature and sentimentality to Coldplay’s Fun.

It’s a hugely diverse list of features but Lo’s personal style is so strong that her aesthetic is the same no matter whether she’s singing a soaring ballad or a glitchy electronic track.

“It’s a whirlwind,” Lo says about her insane schedule on the phone from Toronto where she’s just bolted from the airport to her hotel room in time for the phone call. Despite clearly being run off her feet, there’s no negativity from her side, in fact, it’s quite the opposite.

“It’s been so amazing,” she adds.
Starting as a writer, the Swedish artist was shot very suddenly into the spotlight when the Hippie Sabotage remix of her track Habits (Stay High) shot into the top 10 in both the UK and here in Australia. Her debut album Queen Of The Clouds came very soon after and then she bagged a hit in the often impenetrable market of the US with Talking Body. A whirlwind first album can often be enough to throw an artist off track but for Lo, it hasn’t even rattled her.

She spent the next two years after the release of her debut touring and collaborating with her favourite artists, one of them being our very own Flume. She teamed up with him for Say It, Flume’s biggest pop moment on his second record Skin.

“People who have reached out to me are all people I’ve been huge fans of,” she says of the collaboration.

“Flume, I’ve been listening to for years and he reached out and I was like, ‘is this for real?’ I feel very honoured to be asked to write or work with people because it means that they trust me…at the time I wasn’t a big name, it was only because they liked what I wrote and that meant a lot.”

As a fan, she was the most “nervous” to work with Flume of all her collaborators, despite also holing up in the studio with Coldplay’s Chris Martin, a band she’s been “listening to since High School.”

Somehow in between a hectic touring schedule and big-name collaborations, she found the time to record her second and most cohesive record Lady Wood.

While the debut album was a critical and commercial success, album number two truly feels like her chance to say exactly what she wants to say. She wrote and recorded the LP between Sweden and LA, with an intense writing camp in Nicaragua.

From the throbbing, powerful lead single Cool Girl to the sensual Don’t Talk To Me, it’s a confident celebration of sexuality, femininity and individuality.

“I had so much inspiration I just needed to get it all out of me,” she says.

“I want it to be very raw, I want it to be not retouched. I don’t like the word provocative but I guess that’s what it is – sexy and proud. I have people I work with that can read my mind sometimes.”

Sexy and proud may be the best description of the album – two words that may not have necessarily shone through on the first album. It’s one that explores the juxtaposition between the light and dark, taking the sunny setting of LA to explore some of the darker sides of relationships and fame.

“My favourite things are those contrasts ‘cos that’s how I feel all the time, it’s always like that. It’s an emotional rollercoaster,” she explains.

“The album is all about emotional rushes, doing things that terrify you but turn you on a bit. It’s kind of like feeling the most alive at all times. I think when you have those really intense highs, you’re always going to get the lows and I want to write about both.”

One thing that’s sure to grab people’s attention is the album title Lady Wood, perhaps the strongest statement to grace an album title this year. Very literally, lady wood is a female hard-on but it’s got far more layers than that.

“I feel music and sex are very connected,” says Lo, decoding the album title.

“When you say to someone be brave it’s ‘grow some balls’ and when someone’s being a coward it’s ‘don’t be a pussy’, and when someone’s cool and strong it’s, ‘a chick with balls’. I’d rather say we have lady wood.”

For Lo, it’s about reclaiming a certain strength and power that’s too often subconsciously and consciously attributed to males. If you’ve seen the simultaneously playful, creepy and sexy video for Cool Girl, you’ll know exactly the strength that she’s talking about. She’s an in control pop star in an industry that so often attempts to strip individuality from its biggest names.

Lo knows all too well the way the industry tries to “polish” and “shave” your personality. This album is about doing it the way she wants to do it.

“I had to be open about what I stand for,” she says.

“I’m going to remember that when my gut tells me it’s wrong, it’s wrong. If you keep sacrificing yourself all the time, you get lost in the middle of it.”

As scary as it is to take control, it’s resulted in her strongest artistic output to date.

“There’s nothing to fear in the things I’m afraid of,” Lo sings in album track Imaginary Friend and that may be the biggest takeaway from Lady Wood.

cp3176

Kaleidoscopes
Coldplayer
She definitely sounds like one of the more genuine mainstream artists out there, her on Fun was amazing and so underrated. Wish she sang more though. Disappointing she doesn't have a part on her own. That's the only takeaway from the song for me, other than it being a bit short in comparison to the awesome extended version that @SprayCanSoulGuy made and that the chord progression used is quite common... (Which isn't that bad, I mean the point is the song sounds nice and if it achieves that I couldn't care less how "mainstream" or "poppy" the track sounds. That being said it is easier to appreciate really artistic, creative and innovative tracks even if they don't necessarily hit home as good as a little more "normal" tracks. Which is why I consider Coldplay my overall favorite artist but I can admit from an artistic standpoint Radiohead is superior, they have much more critical acclaim as well...)

Vangkee89

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I know it's an old thread, but with tove lo opening for coldplay soon, are we going to get a surprise collaboration?

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I know it's an old thread, but with tove lo opening for coldplay soon, are we going to get a surprise collaboration?
She already opened for most of the European leg, and unfortunately they never performed Fun together :(
I would have loved to hear the song as well, it's my favorite song of A Head Full OF Dreams.

onlylove

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I've just started really listening to and liking this song which is particularly poignant given recent events. Maybe he never sang it because it was against the agreement he has with her? It's such a sad song though...the Icarus and sun part kill me.