Fun (feat Tove Lo)

ToniMoreno

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Hi!

And, is there any rason why they didn´t play Fun?
I thought they will play it becaus Tove Lo was who oppened the concerts...
I remember the deception in Frankfurt waiting Fun to be played.
I thought the could played it in the oppening with Tove Lo, whithout needing of modify the rest o the setlist.

Has anyone a explanation about why they didn´t play Fun? Has Coldplay or Chris said something in an interview?

Zero Theory

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Hi!

And, is there any rason why they didn´t play Fun?
I thought they will play it becaus Tove Lo was who oppened the concerts...
I remember the deception in Frankfurt waiting Fun to be played.
I thought the could played it in the oppening with Tove Lo, whithout needing of modify the rest o the setlist.

Has anyone a explanation about why they didn´t play Fun? Has Coldplay or Chris said something in an interview?
This is pure speculation, but-

Tove Lo mentioned in an interview that when Chris sent her the song for her to sing on, Tove Lo took the initiative to change some of the lyrics to make it her own (for whatever reason, maybe she didn't like them? I don't blame her if that's the case) But Chris said that the lyrics are personal to him and he didn't want to change them.

So perhaps Chris and/or Tove Lo didn't end up agreeing on/liking the song?

Having said that, even though I don't particularly like the song, it would have been cool to see them sing it together once. But then again, it wasn't a prominent song on the album, and it might just be one of those songs that the band felt didn't work in with a live show, like Twisted Logic or Up With The Birds.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I was disappointed as well, especially since it's my favourite song from the AHFOD album. I had especially high hopes for Paris, where they had brought out Rihanna on the last tour...
Maybe it really has something to do with what @Zero Theory said, I read that too...

lennyrott1

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Agree with Zero. Its such a mid-tempo track that its hard to imagine where it would fit in to a 2-hour setlist. It is shocking that they didn't play it while touring together -- even an acoustic version. I mean Chris came out to do Homesick with Dua Lipa for god's sake. Not to add even more speculation, but I wonder if they just straight up don't get along hahaha. Maybe there's bad blood between her and the band? I'm sure many of you disagree, but I thought her last album was objectively painful to listen to.

So it's no surprise then that Fun is my least favorite track on AHFOD, but I could see it being really elevated in a live performance with a more straightforward play style and less schmaltzy production. My second least favorite song is definitely Army of One, and I though the live performences of that were stellar. It's definitely a pity.

IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8

Ink>Everglow(Live)
Coldplayer
Agree with Zero. Its such a mid-tempo track that its hard to imagine where it would fit in to a 2-hour setlist. It is shocking that they didn't play it while touring together -- even an acoustic version. I mean Chris came out to do Homesick with Dua Lipa for god's sake. Not to add even more speculation, but I wonder if they just straight up don't get along hahaha. Maybe there's bad blood between her and the band? I'm sure many of you disagree, but I thought her last album was objectively painful to listen to.

So it's no surprise then that Fun is my least favorite track on AHFOD, but I could see it being really elevated in a live performance with a more straightforward play style and less schmaltzy production. My second least favorite song is definitely Army of One, and I though the live performences of that were stellar. It's definitely a pity.
Army Of One is a favorite of mine, same with Fun. I honestly cannot dislike any track of AHFOD, it just baffles me how some people can, I just don't understand it from their perceptive.

Zero Theory

Up&Up
Coldplayer

I don't think there is anything to necessarily suggest there is "bad blood" between Tove Lo and Coldplay. I mean they liked each other enough to a collaboration. And the group of people that Coldplay collaborate is a very small and prestigious group lol.
It's possible that the song just soured on Coldplay/Tove Lo over time, or it just never worked out. Just like how there was that thing about Hypnotised and the app being used for a live performance, and that never really panned out. Or that the Twisted Logic Tour DVD or VLV DVD never came out. I guess sometimes things just don't happen with the band, even when they were planned previously.

Zero Theory

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Army Of One is a favorite of mine, same with Fun. I honestly cannot dislike any track of AHFOD, it just baffles me how some people can, I just don't understand it from their perceptive.
I can't speak for others that don't like AHFOD, but I think the reason I don't like a lot of songs on AHFOD is because they completely pale in comparison to Coldplay's previous work. It's not that Fun and Army of One and Amazing Day are bad songs, they just don't live up to most of their previous music, in my opinion.

I will say, the title track and Birds are as good as Coldplay get. The rest of the album doesn't nearly live up to those first 2 songs for me. The album is on such a great trajectory from those 2 songs, then it just devolves into like meh overproduced pop music. Up&Up is a solid closer though, and there are some other pretty moments like Everglow and Amazing Day. But it's mostly just underwhelming.

Last edited:

IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8

Ink>Everglow(Live)
Coldplayer
I can't speak for others that don't like AHFOD, but I think the reason I don't like a lot of songs on AHFOD is because they completely pale in comparison to Coldplay's previous work. It's not that Fun and Army of One and Amazing Day are bad songs, they just don't live up to most of their previous music, in my opinion.

I will say, the title track and Birds are as good as Coldplay get. The rest of the album doesn't nearly live up to those first 2 songs for me. The album is on such a great trajectory from those 2 songs, then it just devolves into like meh overproduced pop music. Up&Up is a solid closer though, and there are some other pretty moments like Everglow and Amazing Day. But it's mostly just underwhelming.
I see. I know music is 100% subjective, but I don’t know what you mean by pale to previous work. Maybe it’s from my ADHD and Autistic stuff. IDK

Zero Theory

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I see. I know music is 100% subjective, but I don’t know what you mean by pale to previous work. Maybe it’s from my ADHD and Autistic stuff. IDK
It's kind of a weird English phrase I don't even know why I used it :joy:

Basically I'm just saying that I don't find a bunch of the AHFOD songs to be nearly as good or enjoyable as most of the band's previous songs.

And yes music is 100% subjective. The beauty of music is that you can love AHFOD while I can not love AHFOD, and neither of us are right or wrong!

lennyrott1

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I am glad you like AHFOD and those tracks! If somebody doesn't enjoy something that you do, you should never feel sorry for yourself!

After all, I WISH i could enjoy Fun and Army of One -- they just aren't to my taste. I'm jealous that you enjoy them :)

IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8

Ink>Everglow(Live)
Coldplayer
I am glad you like AHFOD and those tracks! If somebody doesn't enjoy something that you do, you should never feel sorry for yourself!

After all, I WISH i could enjoy Fun and Army of One -- they just aren't to my taste. I'm jealous that you enjoy them :)
Army of one is even better reversed. And I do enjoy XMTS, as it's very catchy, if it wasn't I would't like it. Fun is also my number one favorite from AHFOD and I do wish it was a single.

Zero Theory

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Army of one is even better reversed. And I do enjoy XMTS, as it's very catchy, if it wasn't I would't like it. Fun is also my number one favorite from AHFOD and I do wish it was a single.
I was just going to ask if you had seen Midnight reversed, but then I saw you had commented on it on YouTube already haha. This one might be my favorite reversed.

IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8

Ink>Everglow(Live)
Coldplayer
I was just going to ask if you had seen Midnight reversed, but then I saw you had commented on it on YouTube already haha. This one might be my favorite reversed.
I'm still doing my Midnight Project btw. I need to get chapter 3 done. XD
Also yes, I love this one just as much as its forward counterpart.

IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8

Ink>Everglow(Live)
Coldplayer
Wow, I genuinely love this! May I ask what specific effects did you do for this one? I can hear the main pulse of Midnight at a higher pitch.

Brian Eno would be proud haha
I use Audacity for this stuff. I also use Resedue or Noise Reduction for stuff. Also reverb.