How do I learn what the Viva tour was like?

paradise117

It's a Coldplay thing...
Coldplayer
:nod: ahhh, the memories. That was a great tour
Ahhhh, I wish I was there... Do you guys think 2010 would be called the "Christmas Lights Era"?!?!?? I think it should be!!!! I was just watching the video and it has its own outfits and everything soooooo... :D

aschall

Here Comes the Night Time
Coldplayer
An MX concert seems rushed, as soon as one song is over, the next one starts. On the Viva tour, the songs gently flowed into each other. That's what I miss from the Viva tour. I do love the bright colors of an MX concert, but I like Viva because it featured more songs and as I mentioned before the slow transitions into songs I liked.
I disagree. I saw them @ The Hollywood Bowl back in May, and they dragged all of the songs out quite long. Yellow is about 6 minutes long on the MX tour. Plus, off of the top of my head, The Scientist, Violet Hill, Viva la Vida, Paradise, and Fix You, are also dragged out for sing-a-longs and other crowd interactions.

But I never saw them in the Viva era so I can't compare the two...

getithom

Baby blue.
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I disagree. I saw them @ The Hollywood Bowl back in May, and they dragged all of the songs out quite long. Yellow is about 6 minutes long on the MX tour. Plus, off of the top of my head, The Scientist, Violet Hill, Viva la Vida, Paradise, and Fix You, are also dragged out for sing-a-longs and other crowd interactions.

But I never saw them in the Viva era so I can't compare the two...
I never saw them during the VLV tour (but almost got to a few times), but the beginning of the MX tour (primarily the festivals) felt really, really rushed. Nowadays, I think it's normal.

42JTR

Watching my life on the skyline
Coldplayer
An MX concert seems rushed, as soon as one song is over, the next one starts. On the Viva tour, the songs gently flowed into each other. That's what I miss from the Viva tour. I do love the bright colors of an MX concert, but I like Viva because it featured more songs and as I mentioned before the slow transitions into songs I liked.
:nod: Everything seems so rushed in my opinion, for instance Major Minus hasn't even ended 1 sec untill LiJ already starts, Jonny starts playing PoC and will almost has to run to the x-stage to be on time. Chris also used to talk more in between the songs.

LFDianne

Biggest Will Fan
Coldplayer
Plus, Coldwave, Green Eyes, Billie Jean, Grammy outfits for the encore, techno GPASUYF and Talk, piano THP, Postcards from Far Away....
Will's solo Death Will Never Conquer - with Jonny rocking the tambourine.

Drew42LP5

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
:nod: Everything seems so rushed in my opinion, for instance Major Minus hasn't even ended 1 sec untill LiJ already starts, Jonny starts playing PoC and will almost has to run to the x-stage to be on time. Chris also used to talk more in between the songs.
That's why I said what I said. The only transitions that work during the MX tour is The Scientist > Yellow, Violet Hill > GPASUYF, Charlie Brown then Paradise is pretty good, with the piano outro then the fast paced piano and guitar leading into Paradise. Also, I do miss Chris talking to us between songs. He definitely doesn't say as much, the most he says is right before Major Minus and the C-stage. I don't recall him saying anything at the X stage, if I recall properly, but I'm sure it's different at each show.

James.

(Nice Title)
Coldplayer
I think the transition between Lovers in Japan and The Scientist is pretty good on this tour. But I do miss the CB-LIFL transition from last year. :cry:
And I think the end of Violet Hill would be a perfect way to lead into Talk. Just sayin'.

Drew42LP5

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I think the transition between Lovers in Japan and The Scientist is pretty good on this tour.
Yeah, I forgot that one. I could change my wording from the concert feeling "rushed" to "fast-paced." I'll do that.

nvdmm

Oldplayer
Coldplayer
everything was better during the viva era my friend. life in general was better!!

fakfak

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
I never saw them during the VLV tour (but almost got to a few times), but the beginning of the MX tour (primarily the festivals) felt really, really rushed. Nowadays, I think it's normal.
Festivals are indeed often rushed. A lot of festivals have very strict cut offs for performance times (even for headliners), so bands do often tend to cram as much as they can into their slot.

fakfak

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
That's why I said what I said. The only transitions that work during the MX tour is The Scientist > Yellow, Violet Hill > GPASUYF, Charlie Brown then Paradise is pretty good, with the piano outro then the fast paced piano and guitar leading into Paradise. Also, I do miss Chris talking to us between songs. He definitely doesn't say as much, the most he says is right before Major Minus and the C-stage. I don't recall him saying anything at the X stage, if I recall properly, but I'm sure it's different at each show.
Really? Like I said above, I've never found him to be one of those frontmen who engages in long banters with his audience. Honestly, I've always felt that Coldplay have had some of the fastest transitions of any live band I've ever seen.

MidnightSpies

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I'm glad I went to see the Viva tour, I wasnt going to go, but I it was a present for my birthday. :) I was standing very far away, but I still thought I had never experienced a more positive atmosphere on any other concert (and Ive been to quite a lot of big concerts).
I remember that it was a long show and that Chris played small classical bits on the piano. I really loved that. It was really different. But I love the mx tour as well, they can not really be compared. The positive energy is even more there, after the concert you walk away with such a great feeling.

strikie

Nom Nom Nom
Coldplayer
I remember that it was a long show and that Chris played small classical bits on the piano. I really loved that.
that's maybe it! the MX gig I've seen (londen, emirates) was like a rush, a full show of energy.
The viva tour was less about astonishing the crowd, but more like making them enjoy the show.. or am I wrong here?
(trying my best not sound either of the tours sound worse than the other :smiley: )

Drew42LP5

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
that's maybe it! the MX gig I've seen (londen, emirates) was like a rush, a full show of energy.
The viva tour was less about astonishing the crowd, but more like making them enjoy the show.. or am I wrong here?
(trying my best not sound either of the tours sound worse than the other :smiley: )
Yes, I agree with you.

Corkus

Pretentious Tool
Coldplayer
I haven't seen any MX shows and I probably won't, but I went to multiple Viva shows and it was largely about theatrics too. Good shows, mind you, and I never thought they felt rushed, and the backdrop was pretty simple, but there was still flashy stuff like the confetti or the fire sparklers. Like I said, though, I have no freaking idea what the MX set-up is like, but I remember the Viva shows crammed all the past hits (Clocks, Yellow, Speed of Sound, Fix You) in at the beginning, which I thought was playing the trump cards way too early on.

Tonsu

Moved to Mars
Coldplayer
I find it absolutely unbelievable for a band as big as Coldplay and in this day and age (youtube, hundreds of tv channels etc) that there has never been a full version of a gig from the Viva tour out there.

Went to see the Viva La Vida Tour in December 2008 (I haven't been to an MX concert and am unlikely to go to one because they only came to Scotland once back in December) and it was far less gimmicky and colourful and shiny than the MX tour. Perhaps it even scaled back a bit with regards to the Twisted Logic tour. There was hardly any lasers or anything and no multi colour colour schemes all over the place. There was definitely a "retro" feel about it what with the mock army like suits and old televisions on stage. But the music was fantastic. It's quite something for a band to perform all but on or two songs from the album in one show. To me it showed how good they felt the Viva La Vida songs were and they were right because in live form, as well as on record, it was fantastic. I can't really compare it with the MX Tour (although it looks like that tour has escalated Coldplay into the "U2 league") but as a body of songs I was delighted and honoured to view Coldplay from that era. Viva La Vida for me, is 10 times the album Mylo Xyloto is and based on that alone I feel that if given to view one of the shows from Viva La Vida tour or MX Tour then I'd take the Viva Tour all the time even though I think Coldplay have become even better as a live act in the MX era.
My goodness this is absolutely how I feel.

fakfak

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
I haven't seen any MX shows and I probably won't, but I went to multiple Viva shows and it was largely about theatrics too. Good shows, mind you, and I never thought they felt rushed, and the backdrop was pretty simple, but there was still flashy stuff like the confetti or the fire sparklers. Like I said, though, I have no freaking idea what the MX set-up is like, but I remember the Viva shows crammed all the past hits (Clocks, Yellow, Speed of Sound, Fix You) in at the beginning, which I thought was playing the trump cards way too early on.
I really don't get what people are talking about when they say Viva shows were less gimmicky. Honestly, it seems like most of the current live gimmicks are lifted wholesale from what they did before.

aschall

Here Comes the Night Time
Coldplayer
The current era will always be under more scrutiny. Let's say the next era is very stripped back, people will be saying that they miss all the lights and pace of the MX shows.

fakfak

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
The current era will always be under more scrutiny. Let's say the next era is very stripped back, people will be saying that they miss all the lights and pace of the MX shows.
Very true. It's kind of like how X & Y is now often lumped into Coldplay's "classic era", when at the time, it was given an even more mixed reception than MX got.