How does Midnight fit in Ghost Stories?

42JTR

Watching my life on the skyline
Coldplayer
The question that has been puzzeling me for the past couple of days is: how does Midnight fit in with the whole ''Lost love/break-up'' theme?
All songs on the (regular) Ghost Stories version are about love and breaking up. But Midnight isn't? So why did they put this on the album? It would have made sense if they had put it on the Deluxe version as a bonus track. Theme wise it just doesn't fit among the rest of the songs I think.

Don't get me wrong, I love the song and I'm happy it's on the album :)

reddevil07

Serving society by rockin
Coldplayer
I think if you look at the words "Ghost Stories" itself, it sounds spooky, dark, etc. With that said Midnight fits in well with the album title. It doesn't fit the break-up theme, so I guess it's a wildcard. Just like how Yes sounded different from all other tracks in VLV.

gai

for me it fits perfectly. ir shows the despair that comes with a breakup and works wonderfully as the centre piece.

JCashmroe

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
i think you are right with it being different to all the other songs on the album with lyrics and sound. But for me I am glad its there, its one of my favorite on the album. It must be the biggest 'grower' ever, I know so many people that really disliked it on first listen including myself but it just sounds awesome now. Especially live!

shred

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
Sound/Theme-wise it doesn't really fit but I'm so glad it's on the album. It's my fav and I wished the whole album kinda sound like this. Heh.

ulwanmokhtar

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
It was definitely perfect for GS. But the thing is I don't like how it was tied with True Love. Should have been a long fade out of True Love then a long fade in for Midnight. It would have been a spooky experience especially hearing it in the midnight!

42JTR

Watching my life on the skyline
Coldplayer
I'm really glad it's on the album as well though ;) The song is amazing and so different from anything else they've ever done :)

MosesTheMarshmallow

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
I wish Midnight opened or closed the album...it's much more mysterious and interesting and engaging in a way that really pulls you in.