Is Charlie Brown THE BEST Coldplay song...EVER??

Blakexy1125

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Nope id rather listen to hurts like heaven. charlie brown got boring after about 10 listens :/

Christa42

Irresponsible baby clutching onto aeroplane wing
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Happy Birthday to Charles Schulz, the creator of Charlie Brown and the Peanut's Characters. He would have been 89.

H

howyousawtheworld

The only thing that slightly disappoints me about the studio version is the fact the backing vocals get very little exposure. For example the 'ALL THE HIGHS, ALL THE LOWS' part really should have been brought forward a lot more. You can hear it much more clearly on this user made instrumental at around 2.30. Pretty sure Brian Eno's one of the voices here. I think Eno's magnificent on this record. The little bleep bloop electronic gizmos that sit behind a lot of the songs are wonderful. I wish for a record to be produced by just Eno next time round. Don't think they need Dravs, Simpson or Green.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjSR5gXS5wg"]Coldplay - Charlie Brown (Instrumental) - YouTube[/ame]

Mrk

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
Coldplayer
^yeah, those alien voice played backwards at the beggining and the middle of the song is one of Eno's genius ideas. And yes, I can tell that he's singing some backing vocals in this song :wacko:

H

howyousawtheworld

^yeah, those alien voice played backwards at the beggining and the middle of the song is one of Eno's genius ideas. And yes, I can tell that he's singing some backing vocals in this song :wacko:
I feel his work is desperately under appreciated amongst many fans of the band. Even though MX is probably my least favourite album I feel his influence does somewhat save it from being a complete flop on my part. I wish he had harvested the 'seeds he had sewn' as Will Champion puts it.

kaisin

Coldplayer
When i first read the title of this post i thought it was just a knee-jerk reaction to a really good song but now that the dust has settled, i really do think that Charlie Brown is the perfect Coldplay song. It has everything a Coldplay song should have: it's catchy as hell, it looks and sounds amazing live, Chris' voice is perfect in it, the lyrics are some of their best and that ending suits it wonderfully... i think it just might be their best song ever :)

Stormy Haze

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Charlie Brown isn't the best Coldplay song ever, but it's definitely one of the best, in my opinion!

Vitamin Z

Coldplayer
Didn't think so at first, but now I think it's certainly a contender. It's basically classic Coldplay, but incorporating everything they've learnt over the past few albums. And I think it definitely is THE best song live.

The only disappointment with it is I think the studio version could have been much better. Without comparing it to the live versions, it's great - but Johnny's guitar sounds lifeless and dull on the studio recording, and Chris' vocals (especially the 'Light a fire' bit) don't convey the epicness. In comparison to the live versions anyway!

myloxyloto:)

It was called "Yellow"...
Coldplayer
When i first read the title of this post i thought it was just a knee-jerk reaction to a really good song but now that the dust has settled, i really do think that Charlie Brown is the perfect Coldplay song. It has everything a Coldplay song should have: it's catchy as hell, it looks and sounds amazing live, Chris' voice is perfect in it, the lyrics are some of their best and that ending suits it wonderfully... i think it just might be their best song ever :)
:D You took the words out of my mouth.

SupermassiveCPnerd

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
A true Coldplay fan could never name "the best CP song ever". A true CP fan could NEVER choose an absolute fav or "the very best". Only someone who isn't a true fan would or could ever even think about implying that at least 97% of ALL things Coldplay has EVER done is anything BUT the BEST!!!!!

filiprasmusson

Swedish Coldplayer
Coldplayer
A true Coldplay fan could never name "the best CP song ever". A true CP fan could NEVER choose an absolute fav or "the very best". Only someone who isn't a true fan would or could ever even think about implying that at least 97% of ALL things Coldplay has EVER done is anything BUT the BEST!!!!!
this

Crests

tiger! fire! cyber!
Coldplayer
wut

viva-la-coldplay

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Only someone who isn't a true fan would or could ever even think about implying that at least 97% of ALL things Coldplay has EVER done is anything BUT the BEST!!!!!
Off-topic here, but I have to disagree with that. To love *everything* they ever produced, whether good or bad or indifferent, simply because they're your favourite band, would seem a little foolish - and a bit like blind adoration.

Personally, I love all of Coldplay's albums and yes, I do consider myself a 'true fan' - however, if they came out with some dreadful crap, I can't see myself liking it purely because it was theirs. So I think that statement is a little unfair - I'm sure there are lots of 'true fans' on Coldplaying (or not even members, as the case may be) who dislike some of their work, but that doesn't by any means make them worse fans.

On-topic again, whilst I couldn't possibly choose a single CP song that I'd say is my definitive *favourite*, I'd have to agree that yes, Charlie Brown is a wonderful song, and it would definitely be on a list of my 5/10 favourite songs!
It is, without a doubt, a great song - fab lyrics, awesome tune and the perfect balance of 'new' and 'old' Coldplay. I really do love that song :heart:

Ronnie O Sullivan

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
I dont know if it is the best song ever...but...to me,its definitely their BEST LIVE-Song. It beats likes as Violet Hill,Viva La Vida or Clocks what is really hard :) Its so powerful,emotional and intense...just brilliant ! Maybe i´m the only one but CB and Talk (!) are their best live-songs to me...