Is O the best song Coldplay have ever recorded?

Written In Graffiti

Missing The Mark
Coldplayer
The popular consensus on here is that O is amongst most people's top three songs on Ghost Stories.

I remember, after MX was released, that there was a similar thread regarding Charlie Brown, asking whether it was Coldplay's best-ever song.

Charlie Brown is Coldplay at their energetic best, but, for me, it isn't them at their most organic and stripped-back. O, on the other hand, is. I'm not asking whether you think O is better than Charlie Brown, or whether it is THE best song they have ever recorded. But I'm intrigued as to whether people think the song is amongst the best they have ever recorded. For me, it is the "Amsterdam-moment" of Ghost Stories, and is most definitely my "NEW" favourite Coldplay track.

FJK_12

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
The Scientist is the best song they've ever recorded. O is great, but the scientist blows it out of the water

Coeurli

#TeamLittleGirlies #GlutenTag
It's not my all time favourite Coldplay song but it definitely is a highlight of Ghost Stories for me! :wacky:

reddevil07

Serving society by rockin
Coldplayer
Ghost Story is the absolutely highlight of Ghost Stories!!!
As much as I love O, I think I'll have to agree with this statement. Ghost Story is a solid track, that should have been on the standard album.

Linus

Forever in Coldplay history
Coldplayer
I wouldn't say Fly On is the best song ever, but it is really good :)
I wouldn't say O is the best track ever, but it is really good :)

mayrn43

Up&Up
Coldplayer
O is my favourite Coldplay song at the moment. Of course, this changes, but it's up there with the best they've ever recorded IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still my favourite after some time

the_escapist

Just a flock of birds
Coldplayer
I think it is (at least) in the top 5 of all time. The downside is that the song does not count with much participation of J, G & W.

jc90

Most Interesting Poster 2015
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
meh, it gets flat after listening to it too many times, like fix you
I wouldn't say that's a fault of the song itself though, but of each individuals listening habits. I kinda did that with getting the repeat button stuck on Politik.

lndnsky

= London Sky
Coldplayer
Concept of the best song does not exist. What are the parameters that you can use to measure how great one song is. To some people it will be the best, to some it wont. Its a really good song, especially for those who still cling on the old Coldplay (myself included), but to say that its the best. No, definitely not. Maybe it could be argued that its the strongest song on the album. (if we look at the official release, if we look at the era as someone said before Ghost Story is the strongest song)

H

howyousawtheworld

I think it's one of the most soulful, personal and touching songs ever put on record by Coldplay. For me, it's definitely up there with the best. I think it's Chris Martin's best vocal performance since A Rush Of Blood To The Head. His voice oozes feeling.

MosesTheMarshmallow

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
I wasn't completely sold on the hype on first listen but going back to it, there are some great atmospherics coming from Jonny's guitar, fantastic backing vocals from Will, and a solid bassline from Guy. It's not nearly as climactic or satisfying as Amsterdam was the first time I heard that song. But it's still a very beautiful song. The imagery and the visual album bit and the piano is all very tight and beautiful. On a music theory basis, by the way, the time signature/rhythm is very interesting. Almost 6/8 but then not quiet. I haven't figured out what's going on but it's weird but it works!

As for best Coldplay track...I think I like UATW better as that quiet, honest, and beautiful song. Overall, I like Amsterdam, Strawberry Swing, DAAHF, MX/HLH better I think.

Blue Nails

Im
Coldplayer
meh, it gets flat after listening to it too many times, like fix you
Yeah I'm afraid this might happen to me as well (and not just this song), so I still haven't listened to it a second time. I'm big on saving songs. I only listen to shit music because I save up the good ones.

Change

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'm wondering, are you guys talking about Fly On or O or both?
I realy like Fly On and O is allright but I think they got much better songs

RedBalloon

Livin' life in Technicolor
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
It is like to ask what‘s the best time of your life...

likeafire

Scientist
Coldplayer
Its a good to brilliant song but the best ever? Nowhere near. Not even close. The scientist completely blows it away.

Plus, ghost story is a better song

The piano on the song is awesome though.