LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

EasySuperstition99

And I saw sparks...
Coldplayer
I didn't like how music critics tried to compare Ghost Stories to their other big albums like Viva or MX because the band made it perfectly clear that it was going to be quiet. You have to review it like it is. Also, they said it was a heartbreak album. No, it was an album about using your problems in life to fly away. Its like all the critics stopped at Oceans and started their review. ASFOS is NOT depressing and the same with O. How can acceptance and moving on as the end message make it a heartbreak album? I personally loved the Ghost Stories era. The art, Live 2014 was really cool, and the clothes they wore were really simple like the AROBTTH era. I listen to O every night before i sleep and it really puts u in a positive mood and relaxes u for a good night's sleep. I also see this album as part 1 to the story that AHFOD completes. I listened to Ghost Stories and the album leak right after and it flows very beautifully and basically almost offers a crescendo in happiness and sound.
I can understand the fact that you think that we shouldn't comapre nee music to old. I think that people do tjat because they want to see them make a record that can top their favorite and be great as well, and this usually implies the style matches the old one. But I think like you said I think that we need to grade each piece of as a single body of work and not compare it to something else.

EasySuperstition99

And I saw sparks...
Coldplayer
I didn't like how music critics tried to compare Ghost Stories to their other big albums like Viva or MX because the band made it perfectly clear that it was going to be quiet. You have to review it like it is. Also, they said it was a heartbreak album. No, it was an album about using your problems in life to fly away. Its like all the critics stopped at Oceans and started their review. ASFOS is NOT depressing and the same with O. How can acceptance and moving on as the end message make it a heartbreak album? I personally loved the Ghost Stories era. The art, Live 2014 was really cool, and the clothes they wore were really simple like the AROBTTH era. I listen to O every night before i sleep and it really puts u in a positive mood and relaxes u for a good night's sleep. I also see this album as part 1 to the story that AHFOD completes. I listened to Ghost Stories and the album leak right after and it flows very beautifully and basically almost offers a crescendo in happiness and sound.
I can understand the fact that you think that we shouldn't comapre nee music to old. I think that people do tjat because they want to see them make a record that can top their favorite and be great as well, and this usually implies the style matches the old one. But I think like you said I think that we need to grade each piece of as a single body of work and not compare it to something else.

ColdplayingfromKansas

Official Viva Fangirl
Coldplayer
No offense but you missed the point. You stuck with old material and compare new with old again and again while the truth is you shouldn't. Just enjoy any new song, stop compare it with the past.

You are resisting to accept new reality, your favorite band would never make ARBTTH 2.0. Life goes on. Guys evolves. They sound different. Have cheesy lyrics (although I never pay much attention to it because voice for me just another instrument to complete melody).

I was the same like you denying MX (at first). And I don't adore VLV album also. Tastes different. Live with it. Only sells will tell if new album a mess or success.
If I did truly miss the point, then I apologize, but you also have to consider that none of us are listening to AHFoD in a vacuum. We've all heard Coldplay's previous works. If the band had changed its member lineup or taken a long hiatus or told us that from now on they were going to be a punk band, then it would be easier to avoid comparing their new works with their old ones.

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but the way I've read your post it sounds like you're implying that I want to dislike all the new material the band puts out. This isn't meant to sound inflammatory, but really, truly that's not what I want. I wish I could love their new material as much as I love their old stuff. I want to be able to feel that magic again. I'm happy for everyone that is able to do that, but for some unknown reason, my tastes just don't align with theirs.

I also don't want them to make ARoBttH 2.0. Believe it or not, I do like that the band is evolving (that evolution gave me my all-time favorite album), but for the past few albums, the direction of their evolution just hasn't fit my taste as well as their previous ones. Obviously, the things on which we judge music that we like are different. That's okay. I'm sincerely glad that you like their new output; I like it too, just not quite as much as their old :p

EDIT: Why do I only post these sorts of things late at night or early in the morning . . .

Tugatrix

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
After listen it for a few days, This is how I rank the albuns:

AROBTH = VLV
Parachutes
X&Y
AHFOD
MX
GS

My favourites are Birds, AHFOD, Everglow and Amazing Day

Saket

Prospekt
Coldplayer
I think after a few listens, here's my ranking:

Viva La Vida or Death And His Friends
A Rush of Blood To The Head
Parachutes = Mylo Xyloto = A Head Full Of Dreams (subject to change after a few listens?)
X&Y
Ghost Stories

CP-EST

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
It's good to see so large variety of opinions. Some people liking the album, some disliking and the reasons are very different also. It just shows that this is quite controversial album and has so much different music on it.

All i want to say right now that if you approach to this album with knowing that mostly it was written around Hymn for the Weekend and AHFOD (title track), then you probably feel different about the whole album. Similar as Paradise and Charlie Brown were centrepieces in MX and with VLVoDAHF i think they wrote it around Lost! and Viva la Vida.

So considering that a lot of production and also the choice of songs is affected how they decided make Hymn for the Weekend one of the centrepieces, will be the key to approach to this album. For example Up&Up's production on the album is a lot affected of Hymn, and also X Marks the Spot doesn't make sense at all without Hymn etc.

Generally i feel like this album sounds a lot better when played loudly (someone said that above already), it brings out the Stargate's production in much better way. Also this will be the album which sounds the most different while performed in live.

And about Hymn For The Weekend... I'm still unsure though what to think of HFTW from musical perspective, but i have to admit i felt similar for example about Viva la Vida for a long time (now i think it's great song in live, but i never really listen to it). First time i listened to HFTW, it was literally too much to take in, because it's quite massive and diverse in sound. After getting used to it, I think it's an immersive song. With each time i connect and understand this song more and more. Definitely want to dance to it while being drunk at party. :D

And one interesting thought also... I think Every Teardrop is a Waterfall would sound really great instead of Adventure of a Lifetime on this album.

Jack Bauer

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Mylo Xyloto = Achtung Baby
Ghost Stories = Zooropa
A Head Full of Dreams = Pop

2 more til How to Dismantle

ColdMartin

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Mylo Xyloto = Achtung Baby
Ghost Stories = Zooropa
A Head Full of Dreams = Pop

2 more til How to Dismantle
First of all Coldplay will never make album sound as How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Secondly no and no and Just NO

Minarets

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
It's good to see so large variety of opinions. Some people liking the album, some disliking and the reasons are very different also. It just shows that this is quite controversial album and has so much different music on it.

All i want to say right now that if you approach to this album with knowing that mostly it was written around Hymn for the Weekend and AHFOD (title track), then you probably feel different about the whole album. Similar as Paradise and Charlie Brown were centrepieces in MX and with VLVoDAHF i think they wrote it around Lost! and Viva la Vida.

So considering that a lot of production and also the choice of songs is affected how they decided make Hymn for the Weekend one of the centrepieces, will be the key to approach to this album. For example Up&Up's production on the album is a lot affected of Hymn, and also X Marks the Spot doesn't make sense at all without Hymn etc.

Generally i feel like this album sounds a lot better when played loudly (someone said that above already), it brings out the Stargate's production in much better way. Also this will be the album which sounds the most different while performed in live.

And about Hymn For The Weekend... I'm still unsure though what to think of HFTW from musical perspective, but i have to admit i felt similar for example about Viva la Vida for a long time (now i think it's great song in live, but i never really listen to it). First time i listened to HFTW, it was literally too much to take in, because it's quite massive and diverse in sound. After getting used to it, I think it's an immersive song. With each time i connect and understand this song more and more. Definitely want to dance to it while being drunk at party. :D

And one interesting thought also... I think Every Teardrop is a Waterfall would sound really great instead of Adventure of a Lifetime on this album.
Yup, that was me that mentioned the loud thing. I was trying to get some work done and had it on in the background and it just didn't work. I love some Vance Joy or Lumineers in the background, but this one begs to be cranked up.

nikofunk

Coldplayer
I wouldn't call him a good artist with a good ear lol but he's released 3 of the best pop singles this year

Amazing song/video/dancing

4.5/5 would bang
awful song, it uses reggeaton based beat, but you must now all the reggeaton songs have the same FREAKING beat, you can dance it, yes, it could be fun, yes, but is the FREAKING same that all of that kind of songs, even bachata have more variation of this kind of music... as many things of the humanity this is a disposable 3-minutes song... is no trascendent.

CP-EST

Coldplayer
Yup, that was me that mentioned the loud thing. I was trying to get some work done and had it on in the background and it just didn't work. I love some Vance Joy or Lumineers in the background, but this one begs to be cranked up.
Yes, for me Depression Cherry by Beach House works well as background music, especially while studying late at nights.
A Head Full of Dreams works well when trying to listen to something which gets you up and motivated, or while surfing internet or something and especially well on Fridays after school or work. :D

Odvan

Coldplayer
I would rate (album as a whole):

Parachutes/A Rush of Blood to The Head >> VLV/MX/GS > X&Y

A Head Full of Dreams needs more listening and live gig :p

oldmuckers

Prospekt's March
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I have not heard the leak yet but I have one question for those who have. Being as objective as possible and taking your own personal opinions out of it - is there a major hit on this album? For example not a lot of people loved Paradise when they first heard it but there was no doubt that it was going to be massive. Anything that comes close to that on AHFOD?

nikofunk

Coldplayer
Sorry, but Major Minus and 1.36, while rocky (which I approve of), are executed terribly, and as a resuilt neither of them sound good at all. XMTS at least sounds decent, and is extremely experimental. It's simply a 3-minute snippet of what most hip-hop SHOULD sound like. If more hip-hop sounded more like that maybe I'd enjoy it more. I really like the vibe it gives as well. It's simply an extremely experimental track by Coldplay. I don't know why they felt the need to put it on the album (probably because Army Of One gives off that same vibe in a way and that Army Of One is short, and it also leaks into this song perfectly) but it's still decent at least. The effects are cool.
i don't know what is your criteria different from subjectivity to decide if their are terribly executed... their equalization is accord with a more hard rock song, the beat structures and riffs are all well used. The whole ambiance in the song are filled and produce a big coherent sound. Also 1.36 is a really old song with no production that the others two had, and they reached a classic noisy rock ambiance that is present in british rock since 70'.

about hip-hop, sorry i'm a big fan of black based music, and i think you must heard/read a lot of hip-hop, before write such offense to the genre. there's no pasion in XMTS, is a souless pop based song with no sing emphasis, cheap beat, and easy lyrics... hip-hop is not like XMTS because XMTS is not hip-hop at all...

AMDB9

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I have not heard the leak yet but I have one question for those who have. Being as objective as possible and taking your own personal opinions out of it - is there a major hit on this album? For example not a lot of people loved Paradise when they first heard it but there was no doubt that it was going to be massive. Anything that comes close to that on AHFOD?
To be honest, I dont feel any songs being on that level. Except maybe Birds....the big hit will probably be HFTW