Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

LP8 Thread - Coldplay's Upcoming Album

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...

• 1st half of 2020

• 2nd half of 2020

• 1st half of 2021

• 2nd half of 2021

• Later...

Results are only viewable after voting.

stepstr

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Now there are 2 possibilities that is going to happen in the next 24 hours.
1. Nothing much will happen. Perhaps a festival announcement where Coldplay will perform.
2. All hell breaks loose
I'll introduce point #3: Anything that happens will be tied to the fan group itself and not to the band.

merril

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I'll introduce point #3: Anything that happens will be tied to the fan group itself and not to the band.
I agree with you. Why should a fan group in Mongolia know anything new about Coldplay?

This rainbow-coloured question mark is probably just a hint at Chris accompanying Kathey Musgraves on the piano for her song 'Rainbow' at the iHeartRadio Music Awards in LA two days ago.

So Chris is busy playing the piano and Guy, according to his Instagram account, is taking part in a car race and has his Synchro Sunday Project going on tonight. As to Will and Jonny, we know nothing. Each of the four is obviously pursuing his own business.

Last edited:

jc90

A Herp Full Of Derp
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer

Carolina*

Up&Up
Coldplayer
And now for something that more closely resembles news from twitter:
Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplayxtra/status/1107336555075723266

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/lena_tayara/status/1107317545265176579

I mean, we kinda suspected that after the whole thing about Guy (with Chris) in LA, but we didn't really know about all four of them recording meaning Will and Jonny as well. News isnt super surprising, but very nice to hear it from someone.
I wonder if there's any chance Will and Jonny were there too?

jc90

A Herp Full Of Derp
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Perhaps, but because Lena wrote out the tweet like that, saying recording on both sides of the pond, in my mind, it was C and G in LA and W and J in ENG.

Probably didn't intend it to be interpreted like that though tbh. Regardless, im happy they are recording. I knew they couldnt really stay away for that long.

I recall hearing Chris describe it as music always being sent to him and he cant control it. Which would suggest if a good idea comes through, he HAS to go to a studio to work on it or jot it down!

merril

Coldplayer
If this was true, it would be great news. I wonder what sort of recording Chris and Guy on the one hand and Jonny and Will on the other hand did.

jc90

A Herp Full Of Derp
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
^yeah, especially since I dont really see C and G paired together super often. I mean, G pairs with W often, and G and J (used to) bond over smoking. Didn't the documentary say C and G didn't really like each other in the very beginning? Sorry, I dont want to start any fake rumours, but thats the sense I always got.

Gideon_Mx

What If This Is All The Love You Ever Get?
Coldplayer

I mean, we kinda suspected that after the whole thing about Guy (with Chris) in LA, but we didn't really know about all four of them recording meaning Will and Jonny as well. News isnt super surprising, but very nice to hear it from someone.
YESSSSS!!!!!

Gideon_Mx

Coldplayer
jc90 said:

Perhaps they have ideas for a new Christmas song (as well)???? Next December it will be 9 years since Christmas Lights was released. I can't believe it has been 9 years since I heard that track for the first time ever!!!! However, it would be really nice if they score a Christmas hit again at the end of this year, wouldn't it?!

Last edited:

Carolina*

Up&Up
Coldplayer
^yeah, especially since I dont really see C and G paired together super often. I mean, G pairs with W often, and G and J (used to) bond over smoking. Didn't the documentary say C and G didn't really like each other in the very beginning? Sorry, I dont want to start any fake rumours, but thats the sense I always got.
Yeah I feel like you can kind of infer that from the documentary, but I feel like they've learned to respect each other even more over time. Guy even says that he and Chris used to argue a lot but then says he (Guy) was too argumentative when they were younger and then Chris says he used to want everyone to follow his lead too much but they both seem to have corrected those behaviors.

onlylove

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Based on how AHFOD was recorded, pretty sure recent albums have been recorded cross ponds and lands. It might be the start but think it's all there is thus far. More to come I'm sure....

Zero Theory

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Let's remember that it's not likely that Will and Jonny would be spotted in LA. It's not like they are prominent figures in Los Angeles nor is there a strong contingent of us Coldplay fans in LA who would recognize them in public.

I would be willing to bet that Will and Jonny were out in LA as well when Guy was there (assuming he was recording with Chris, which is most certainly the reason Guy would be in Malibu).

I'm guessing they will continue to bounce back and forth between LA, London and recording separately. But if Guy is out recording in Malibu with Chris, then that must mean the whole gang is there.

merril

Coldplayer
I'm guessing they will continue to bounce back and forth between LA, London and recording separately.
It would be so much easier for them to record new music if Chris was living in London again. Probably they would already have released something new. But Chris stays in Malibu because of his kids, and so we will have to wait a long time until we finally get a new record/song/album.

JM-42

Life is for Living
Coldplayer
Even with these all these updates about Guy being in LA, I'm still pretty sure late 2019 is when all things are going to break lose. I was sort of expecting for them to show up for any of the big summer festivals but well, certainly it won't happen this year. 2018 was, for sure, their off-year, just like we all expected.

MarckozZ

Planeta Coldplay
Coldplayer
Even with these all these updates about Guy being in LA, I'm still pretty sure late 2019 is when all things are going to break lose. I was sort of expecting for them to show up for any of the big summer festivals but well, certainly it won't happen this year. 2018 was, for sure, their off-year, just like we all expected.
Imagine having billions on your bank account because of your last successful world tour and having all the time in the world to do whatever you want, plus you know how to compose music and have all the equipment and instruments needed to do that all the time... I'd love to spend a whole year composing and tinkering with music... And we all know Chris, he just can't help but compose new tunes even on the go, his phone must be full of voice notes with song ideas. Obviously we will get something, at the end of this year at the soonest!

Gideon_Mx

Coldplayer
It's reasonable to say that at the end of this year something will be happening, I actually also think that early next year would be a nice period to release new music.
It has been said already; new music for a new decade. A Head Full Of Dreams' release was on the 4th of December, 2015.
At the end of this year, on 4 December, it will be exactly 4 years since their last album release which is a pretty long time, especially for Coldplay because they always have a space of 2 mostly 3 years between albums. Let's not forget about Kaleidoscope which was released on 14th July 2017 of which we already knew a song (SJLT) before it was released again on the EP. I think we'll get at least some announcements or a very short audio/video clip just like they did with Adventure Of A Lifetime back in 2015 in order to announce a new song. I believe it was in November/October? Can't remember very well. Think it was in October.
But on the other hand, it could be possible that they have decided to take a long break after their big A Head Full Of Dreams world tour. I mean really long, I'm thinking of 3 maybe 4 years. Which wouldn't be surprising at all.
Why? Usually between Coldplay albums there's a gap of 2-3 years. Take a look; 2000 (P) - 2002 (AROBTTH) - 2005 (X&Y) - 2008 (VIVA) - 2011 (MX) - 2014 (GS) but then came AHFOD in 2015 which is basically just 1 year, to be more specific; 19 months (minus a few days) which is a really short period between 2 albums (at least it is for a big band)!
Normally it would be something like this: 2000 (P release), 2002 (AROBTTH), 2005 (X&Y), 2008 (VIVA), 2011 (MX), 2014 (GS) and A Head Full Of Dreams' release in 2017. It would also make more sense.
Let's say they did release A Head Full Of Dreams in May 2017 (3 years after the release of GS), they would be doing some tv performances/play smaller venues (2017-2018) and eventually do a tour (not per se in that order), if they had done something like this that means they could've been finished at this point (early or mid 2019).
If that happened they could decide for going on a break for at least a year or a year and a half and that brings us to 2020, the year in which we can expect brand-new music!
In short, I also think there's a (big) chance that they unfortunately won't release new music until next year.

Last edited: