LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...

• 1st half of 2020

• 2nd half of 2020

• 1st half of 2021

• 2nd half of 2021

• Later...

Results are only viewable after voting.

JM-42

Life is for Living
Coldplayer
I'm going to be the pessimistic one and say I expect more of the same stuff we've been getting since 2011 from the band. I do hope I'm wrong.

lennyrott1

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Intriguing that he says "we'll be full of surprises." but as always Chris is the most unreliable narrator. If their contract with Parlaphone is up, I could see them finally starting their own label and perhaps releasing a lot of old unreleased material? We saw that with ALIENS.

My other guess is that they drop LP8 relatively soon, and we find out they've been writing and recording intensively during tour. It would be a total shocker to a music media that's portrayed AHFOD as a final horrah. If their live performances and unidentified soundcheck jams are any indication--possibly something very stripped back, more towards their roots, a bit rockier. Alternatively, they could renegotiate with Warner/Parlaphone and release an album that feels like Maroon 5 and Ed Sheeran and make a billion dollars and get a metascore of 53.

Really I agree with everyone's statements (which means I'm not taking a stance here). I spent so much time on this forum prior to MX, GS, and AHFOD speculating. I thought MX was gonna be Viva Part II. It wasn't. I thought GS was gonna be Coldplay's Kid A. It wasn't. I thought AHFOD was gonna be Coldplay's Sergeant Pepper's. It wasn't. But who am I kidding. I'll be on here speculating like mad when we get any sort of tease.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I just have to say this: It's so nice to finally see more life in the forums again !

I doubt they will start their own label. I know Radiohead did that, but Coldplay have never had that cynical/negative view of their record company (or record companies in general). I think their relationship with their label was always pretty good (maybe a bit strained during the delay of X&Y, all right) and Chris often included them in his short thank you speeches at the end of Up&Up.

Green Cap Man

COLDPLAY - PORTUGAL
Coldplayer
I just have to say this: It's so nice to finally see more life in the forums again !

I doubt they will start their own label. I know Radiohead did that, but Coldplay have never had that cynical/negative view of their record company (or record companies in general). I think their relationship with their label was always pretty good (maybe a bit strained during the delay of X&Y, all right) and Chris often included them in his short thank you speeches at the end of Up&Up.
Although a indie album would make them free to do whatever the f*** they want.
I think they still got their rockier vein present. Let's just remember they sounchecked High Speed about a year ago. Or the acceptance "speech" to this year EMA. Or AICTAIY and ALIENS. I do have hope. They (Chris) just need to open his eyes and look at his band from outer space and where they are heading. Maybe he'll realise this is not what they want. It's not what Guy, Will and Jonny surely want.
I really want Jonny shoegaze influences to come to life. Maybe chris just need what Brian eno did to him when he met the band. He needs to quit the band for a while to let the others gain some trust and to let them do what they want to do. Right now I think it's all about chris. And I don't like that.

Last edited:

coldplayisawesome

Maybe I'm a ghost
Coldplayer
Am I the only one who feels the AHFOD Era is not over yet ?

The tour is ending today, but an Era comprises much more than just a tour.
Live 2017 has not even been officially announced yet, let alone released. I doubt anyone would say Live 2003 was not part of the AROBTTH Era or Live 2014 not part of the GS Era.

To me the end of the Era will be when Live 2017 is released and done.
Truthfully, there is never a clear cut start or end to an era, just arbitrary lines we point to for our own sakes [emoji12] In my experience it never feels over until we're clearly in the next one

appleguyjoe

Back to Square One
Coldplayer
Gosh...it’s been an absolutely increible era. My first Coldplay shows (three of them this era, LA2016, LA2017, SD2017), and the second era I’ve seen beginning to end, it’s been quite the journey. This band and it’s songs have changed the person I am. I hope this continues with LP8 and the next few years of anticipation (and hopefully some random bonus tracks here and there). I don’t think this is the end, as some music reporters have said/wanted it to be. This is truly “a next chapter”.

JM-42

Life is for Living
Coldplayer
Alternatively, they could renegotiate with Warner/Parlaphone and release an album that feels like Maroon 5 and Ed Sheeran and make a billion dollars and get a metascore of 53. .
Most likely scenario for me. They just seem to enjoy playing stadiums and concerts full of anthems and "ooohs" way too much. Most people talked about Kaleidoscope EP as a "step in the right direction" but none of songs (except. for SLTJ) made it to the regular setlist during the final two legs of the tour. I honestly think they need a quite extensive hiatus (like around 2 years) but I don't see it happening.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Most people talked about Kaleidoscope EP as a "step in the right direction"
:D I just used exactly that wording in my post in the Oldplaying thread, then I come here and see you wrote this - what a coincidence, LOL

Yes, it is a bit disheartening to see that none of the great songs of Kaleidoscope was performed live properly or more than once. Instead when they do choose to put a new song in the setlist, it is arguably the weakest track they have written in the while (LiB).
Whatever goes on in their heads... :neutral:

Green Cap Man

COLDPLAY - PORTUGAL
Coldplayer
:D I just used exactly that wording in my post in the Oldplaying thread, then I come here and see you wrote this - what a coincidence, LOL

Yes, it is a bit disheartening to see that none of the great songs of Kaleidoscope was performed live properly or more than once. Instead when they do choose to put a new song in the setlist, it is arguably the weakest track they have written in the while (LiB).
Whatever goes on in their heads... :neutral:
LiB is very bad, but SJLT is even worse... From 5 or 6 new songs to perform live, they chose the worst 2... GJ Coldplay.

Green Cap Man

COLDPLAY - PORTUGAL
Coldplayer
I was reading LP7 thread and it made my laugh a lot. We were hoping for a "electronic AROBTTH" and a song like "Crest of Waves"... And then AHFOD comes.

stepstr

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
LiB is very bad, but SJLT is even worse... From 5 or 6 new songs to perform live, they chose the worst 2... GJ Coldplay.
I kinda agree here. LIB feels like a song written very fast 'because they had to' and it is written in a half-assed manner.
For SJLT I really hated it when heard for the first two times. But I must admit I really enjoy the verses now. But not the sound. And not these damn Chainsmokers.

Speaking about LP8, I honestly don't know what to expect. Telling the truth I feel so strange since MX era was finished. I can't say that GS or AHFOD are bad, there are realy really great songs on these, but my feelings are not that good and positive about band's direction since GS introduction. AHFOD was a really tough one for me to get, I thought (and I still think) that this was a kind of a marketing joke or something. I adore the title track, Birds and Up&Up, that's it. But anyway I'm grateful for this huge and colorful tour they've done 'cause I finally got the chance to see them for the 1st time in my life, dreaming about this for 7-8 years.

What are the options Coldplay could go from the musical point of view? They've been a rock band, they've been indie, they've been (and they are) pop and electronic. I really like the psychodelic idea though.

Last edited:

Choux0304

Ghost Story Angel
Coldplayer
I totally agree with you. I hoped that they were going to put at least Hypnotised on their tracklist for the American tours.

I saw them on the 16th June this year at Hannover, Germany. They also released "All I Can Think About Is You" on this day, which was played live in Tokyo back in April. I probably would have died, if they had played it as some kind of "release celebration". It's my favourite AHFOD era song. [emoji173]️

Carolina*

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I totally agree with you. I hoped that they were going to put at least Hypnotised on their tracklist for the American tours.

I saw them on the 16th June this year at Hannover, Germany. They also released "All I Can Think About Is You" on this day, which was played live in Tokyo back in April. I probably would have died, if they had played it as some kind of "release celebration". It's my favourite AHFOD era song. [emoji173]️
I think All I Can Think About Is You is the best song they've done since Viva

Sophia M

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'm definitely looking forward to what "surprises" they may come out with. I also think that the media is portraying them wrong by saying this is their last hurrah. I mean if we look at the success of the AHFOD (3rd highest grossing tour of all time and attended by over 5 million people) there's no way they're done. I agree with what was said before about maybe they would create their own label as now they're free. Super excited for the future of the band and their fan base as well!

rpindacity

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Guys... I bet it will be more electronic and dance based. I think it's pretty obvious... Chris has said numerous times in interviews that he loves EDM and when good electronic production meets emotional songwriting he becomes very happy. I can almost guarantee that Coldplay will be heading this way with the overall sound of LP8, with even rich synths and more modern unconventional instruments that are made with the help of a DAW. Thoughts?

Xyloband_99

Graphic Designer
Coldplayer
Truthfully, there is never a clear cut start or end to an era, just arbitrary lines we point to for our own sakes [emoji12] In my experience it never feels over until we're clearly in the next one
Right. I think they started writing while they were on tour. That means we are already in LP8 era.

Miha

Coldplayer
As someone who enjoyed this era (and the tour especially) massively, I feel there is more great things to come from Coldplay. However, we don't know who the band will work with for production, that does make a difference (Stargate for example).
I also believe two years is a minimum time we won't be hearing from them. I'm sure they'll want to surprise people the most they can and whatever plans are in the pipeline, they will not be executed prematurely.

Miha

Coldplayer
As for the songs, who knows. They've been keeping secrets well, also will they record at The Bakery/The Beehive again? It seems with all the time Chris is spending in LA, this has been more of a hub for the rest of the band, but again I don't know the ins/outs, so it might not be this way.

Green Cap Man

COLDPLAY - PORTUGAL
Coldplayer
As for the songs, who knows. They've been keeping secrets well, also will they record at The Bakery/The Beehive again? It seems with all the time Chris is spending in LA, this has been more of a hub for the rest of the band, but again I don't know the ins/outs, so it might not be this way.
Thanks for pointing that out. Musically it would be better if Chris moved back to London. Being in the studio the four together is the best way possible to start a creative process and engage better, thus creating better music. I understand Chris when he wants to be with his kids. But come on dude. Who cares about Gwyneth? Just move with the kids to London. [emoji14]

jc90

Most Interesting Poster 2015
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'm definitely looking forward to what "surprises" they may come out with. I also think that the media is portraying them wrong by saying this is their last hurrah. I mean if we look at the success of the AHFOD (3rd highest grossing tour of all time and attended by over 5 million people) there's no way they're done. I agree with what was said before about maybe they would create their own label as now they're free. Super excited for the future of the band and their fan base as well!
Well duh, the media would say that. Not to get all 'tin-foil-hat' on you, but the media's job is to sell, not to inform. A headline of "Coldplay's Last Album" is going to catch your attention more than anything.
Guys... I bet it will be more electronic and dance based. I think it's pretty obvious... Chris has said numerous times in interviews that he loves EDM and when good electronic production meets emotional songwriting he becomes very happy. I can almost guarantee that Coldplay will be heading this way with the overall sound of LP8, with even rich synths and more modern unconventional instruments that are made with the help of a DAW. Thoughts?
Chris also said numerous times he likes other types of music as well, but no one pays attention to that because they only focus/hear about the EDM stuff, 'cause they dislike it the most. Yeah, he likes EDM, but did he suddenly dislike U2, Johnny Cash, Sigur Ros, Jay-Z, Pavarotti, Rihanna?