LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...

• 1st half of 2020

• 2nd half of 2020

• 1st half of 2021

• 2nd half of 2021

• Later...

Results are only viewable after voting.

lennyrott1

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Almost two months on, I have to say I haven't been replaying EL very much. Which is funny, because I think it's a much stronger album than AHFOD - but AHFOD i've played a million times over.

I think that says something about the album's structure and tone. It's def not the upbeat explosive sounds you want to listen to over and over and over. This one just needs more time and lots of time to sit and absorb, which I love about it but who has time nowadays ;)

Daffy

Everyone I know says I'm a fool to mess with you
Coldplayer
Almost two months on, I have to say I haven't been replaying EL very much. Which is funny, because I think it's a much stronger album than AHFOD - but AHFOD i've played a million times over.

I think that says something about the album's structure and tone. It's def not the upbeat explosive sounds you want to listen to over and over and over. This one just needs more time and lots of time to sit and absorb, which I love about it but who has time nowadays ;)
but we need The Race on it instead of Orphans

LisaFeehily

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Musically, I think this might be their strongest album since Viva la Vida. There aren't many artists who can pull off this kind of variety in musical styles the way that Coldplay do.

I was very surprised about some of the songs, for example I really wasn't expecting a gospel song. It's something I wouldn't normally listen to but I actually really like that about this album.

I also like the topics that they've covered and the messages in the songs.

Overall, it's refreshing and inspiring, and it really shows off how talented they are.

My personal favourites are Champion of the world, Broken, Guns and Trouble in Town.

Carolina*

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I've been really liking Cry Cry Cry. Usually I agree with the general opinion of what their weaker songs are (especially for the newer songs), so I'm honestly surprised I like it so much. It's just a very calming but interesting song in my opinion.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Still playing this album a lot, especially Trouble in Town, Arabesque, COTW and Everyday Life.

But sadly I have to say that Champion of the World, which I loved so much in the beginning, has begun to feel a little stale for me. i don't know why. Same with Flags :(

merril

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Still playing this album a lot, especially Trouble in Town, Arabesque, COTW and Everyday Life.

But sadly I have to say that Champion of the World, which I loved so much in the beginning, has begun to feel a little stale for me. i don't know why. Same with Flags :(
With me it's the opposite. I love Flags and Champion of the World more and more.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
With me it's the opposite. I love Flags and Champion of the World more and more.
I wish it was like that for me, loved them so much at first...I don't know what happened

merril

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I wish it was like that for me, loved them so much at first...I don't know what happened
Don't worry. I also have songs, not only Coldplay songs, which I first liked and then disliked and then liked again. It just happens. Just stop listening to those songs for a while. I think whether you like a Coldplay song often depends on the mood you are in. And if you permanently lose Interest in a song, well, stick to the songs you adore.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Don't worry. I also have songs, not only Coldplay songs, which I first liked and then disliked and then liked again. It just happens. Just stop listening to those songs for a while. I think whether you like a Coldplay song often depends on the mood you are in. And if you permanently lose Interest in a song, well, stick to the songs you adore.
Thanks. I don't dislike them by any means, it's just that I don't feel as strongly about them anymore as I used to. At the moment they just don't manage to hold my attention anymore throughout the song.

coldplaykb

The beat from my heart
Coldplayer
Thanks. I don't dislike them by any means, it's just that I don't feel as strongly about them anymore as I used to. At the moment they just don't manage to hold my attention anymore throughout the song.
Maybe you just listened too much? I know I myself have done that with a lot of songs. I usually take a break and then come back to rediscover them.

HowCouldIForget

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I just want to thank Coldplay for putting this album out. They had to know it wouldn't be a chart-topper, very few songs on here are typical pop fare that they've kind of become known for. I know Everyday Life still charted #1 in the UK but it was only #7 here in the US, their lowest showing since Parachutes and I wouldn't be surprised if it's their first album not to go Platinum here.
There's so much beauty in the restraint, relying on acoustic guitars and pianos instead of bombastic choruses and synthesized drum beats. I cherish this Coldplay and I hope with everything I have that we'll see more of them in the future.
This is the first time I've been proud to be a Coldplay fan in probably ten years. I loved most of MX and that came out in 2011 but I was mortified by Paradise being everywhere. I still can't stand that chorus. I was worried that the Coldplay I knew and loved was gone forever after two disappointing albums and a decent-at-best EP. They proved me wrong. <3

Last edited:

42Escapist

You could be me, I could be you
Coldplayer
Over 2 months since I first listened to the album, and almost 3 months after Orphans + Arabesque dropped, here are my thoughts...

Everyday Life is legendary by Coldplay standards. I don't think we'll ever get anything quite like it again, just like AROBTTH and X&Y, but I think it's very much on par with those albums. I'm shocked by how much I've enjoyed it, I really am...

Can't name a favorite song on the main album anymore, originally Arabesque and Trouble In Town were my favorites but there are just so many strong tracks... WOTW/POTP is the weakest of the bunch, but even then I love the rawness of it. Cry Cry Cry and BrokEN have grown on me a lot, When I Need A Friend is so ethereal and magical, Orphans is the best "catchy pop Coldplay" song since Viva la Vida, Eko and Old Friends rival Strawberry Swing when it comes to just how soothing they are, Daddy strikes an emotional chord every time... I just can't name a bad track or one that I find myself skipping often.

The only track that hasn't stayed great in my opinion or grown on me is Flags. I really enjoyed it when it leaked from the Japanese version of the album, but honestly it has just started to seem bland... the message behind the song is great, the lyrics are great, but the melody just doesn't seem so strong. Oh well.

The Jordanator

Swim a river out to the sea
Coldplayer
This album hasn’t rated too well in New Zealand, about a 3-star average, despite instantly topping the charts upon its release.

I’ve had friends and family who have been Coldplay fans since the very start and have been to multiple concerts say that this album isn’t their strongest, such as some songs like COTW are too soft and not a lot too it, other songs being weaker. The gospel, religious side just isn’t working for them. Orphans, Arabesque, Church and Everyday Life has remained the favourites typically.
For me personally, this album has really grown on me, Arabesque is an absolute legend of a song but When I Need A Friend remains as the song I nearly always skip. Cry Cry Cry and COTW haven’t been instantly liked by myself but they certainly have grown now

merril

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I just can't name a bad track or one that I find myself skipping often...
I totally agree with you, I love this album! Some songs like Cry Cry Cry have also grown on me, and I like When I Need a Friend a lot. I can't name a bad song on this album either, I even think Flags is a great song, it has a catchy melody and interesting lyrics.

kcp

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I dunno where to post is there not a thread for the palladium shows !? Wondering to get some suggestion on who to follow on Instagram etc from here that are going !! I have jimmy and a few others but o waited for 3 hours last night hoping to see some videos or lives and well “ all IS lost I did see some YouTube’s earlier everything sounded so good!

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I dunno where to post is there not a thread for the palladium shows !? Wondering to get some suggestion on who to follow on Instagram etc from here that are going !! I have jimmy and a few others but o waited for 3 hours last night hoping to see some videos or lives and well “ all IS lost I did see some YouTube’s earlier everything sounded so good!
Check out this thread:

lennyrott1

Up&Up
Coldplayer
According to someone on discord Chris said "we'll see you in a few months" at the end of the show last night? is that true?

Also -- wasn't concrete evidence that Cry Cry Cry was getting a Dakota Johnson-directed video and that Trouble In Town was casting for a video? Is the EL era truly over now?

coldplaykb

The beat from my heart
Coldplayer
According to someone on discord Chris said "we'll see you in a few months" at the end of the show last night? is that true?

Also -- wasn't concrete evidence that Cry Cry Cry was getting a Dakota Johnson-directed video and that Trouble In Town was casting for a video? Is the EL era truly over now?
Someone on Twitter also pointed out that Cry Cry Cry is starting to get added to radio playlists, so the video for that may indeed be coming very soon.

Hopefully Trouble In Town follows shortly after.