Welcome to Coldplaying!

By signing up you will receive access to the largest Coldplay fan site and hundreds of Coldplay downloads!

LP8 Thread

Discussion in 'Releases' started by yoyo2000, Nov 15, 2017.

Share This Page

?

Which one would you like the band to follow in the making of LP8?

Poll closed Feb 24, 2018.
  1. Electronic music

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Acoustic music

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  3. Why not both?

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
  1. The Jordanator

By:The JordanatorMar 12, 2019
    Swim a river out to the sea
    Coldplayer

When is the next global citizen btw?

Gideon_Mx likes this.
  2. merril

By:merrilMar 12, 2019
    Livin' life in Technicolor
    Coldplayer

It normally is in September in New York.

3. ColdplayingMama

By:ColdplayingMamaMar 12, 2019
    *Look at the stars, look how they shine for you*
    Coldplayer

I just completed watching the VH1 Storytellers Coldplay episode from the X&Y era, thanks to @jc90 ! Thanks again for that, I enjoyed it so much.
    Near the end, Chris said this regarding the song Fix You and the X&Y album as a whole:
    ..."me and John started doing it in Chicago and it got recorded in about five different countries, and then we ended up throwing most of it away and going right back to the beginning, which is kind of what we did on our record anyway, we sort of got rid of all the paraphernalia surrounding a big band, and we went right back to basics, just the four of us."
    After hearing this, it really resonated with me. All I could think was, "My, I really deeply hope that this is the mentality going into LP8."
    I completely agree with @I ran away , in that I'm not expecting a full return to their roots, but I hope that their focus is like Chris said back during X&Y--getting rid of all the paraphernalia (like the super pop-style influence, and focus on collab'ing with the Beyonce's), and focus on the band and the basics and the amazing music they make together as a foursome.

4. merril

By:merrilMar 12, 2019
    Coldplayer

The difference as to the musical taste of the four of them becomes more and more obvious now that they are on a gap year (or gap years). Look at the music Chris loves as revealed on Twitter and the music Guy loves as shown on Synchro Sunday. It couldn't be more different. And Will once said he loved listening to classical music. I wonder how they will ever agree on making new songs.

5. Zero Theory

By:Zero TheoryMar 13, 2019
    Up&Up
    Coldplayer

I don't think this is something radically new though.
    The 4 of them have always been quite different as people and interests. They all seemingly have an eclectic taste in music (From Beatles to Rihanna to Kate Bush to Kraftwerk to My Bloody Valentine to Guy's interest in repetitive funk bass lines and on and on), which leads to their genre-less music. They kind of dabble in everything, and that's what makes Coldplay work. And that's why their body of musical work is so immense and great and different, because they all have different tastes yet they all have to agree on a song for it to see the light of day.

6. iamsue

By:iamsueMar 13, 2019
    You're a Sky Full of Stars
    Coldplayer

OMG, I didn’t realize this. I first started seriously listening at X & Y while going into and recovering from my first back surgery. I would have been there in Chicago! Wish I’d been able to go to my first concert then, but I also had surgery during Viva and couldn’t go until MX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. andrewsky

By:andrewskyMar 13, 2019
    The Scientist
    Coldplayer

For starting a completely new chapter I VERY hope they go back to their roots!^^

I ran away and ColdplayingMama like this.
  8. Miha

By:MihaMar 13, 2019
    Coldplayer

Hi, nobody knows what the music will be like but Chris always has a clear idea what the wants the sound to be and the basis for future Coldplay songs will stem from that.
    Even though it would be mad to think about an album full of songs, started by Will, Guy and Jon, I don't think that dynamic would work either, it's the combination of ideas from all that provides the final product.
    I don't think they'll go back to their roots, but surely there will be a "new sound" again.

9. onlylove

By:onlyloveMar 14, 2019
    Up&Up
    Coldplayer

Am I the only one hoping desperately for dream pop? CM loves it and so do I........

10. Dexynboy

By:DexynboyMar 14, 2019
    Up&Up
    Coldplayer

Nothing bad with collaborations, but please...not singers like Rihanna.
    There is some much talented people out there...
    Why not collaborate with Aurora Aksnes, Adele, Lana Del Rey, U2, Gorillaz, Alexi Murdoch, Depeche Mode, Fink, etc....?

11. jc90

By:jc90Mar 14, 2019
    A Herp Full Of Derp
    Honorary Coldplayer Coldplayer

JM-42, Hedwig, Carolina* and 3 others like this.
  12. coldplaykb

By:coldplaykbMar 14, 2019
    The beat from my heart
    Coldplayer

Exactly. I would prefer her over a collaboration with someone like Cardi B. No offense to those who like her, but that would just be awful imo.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The Jordanator likes this.
  13. merril

By:merrilMar 14, 2019
    Coldplayer

Guy has left LA and is on his way home. He spent just a week in California with his family and showed us all the places he went to.
    He might have seen Chris, but there was surely no time for recording new songs.
    And obviously Will and Jonny weren't there.
    So I think it is not in the near future that we will have new Coldplay music, perhaps next year.

14. jc90

By:jc90Mar 14, 2019
    A Herp Full Of Derp
    Honorary Coldplayer Coldplayer

My guess is that he at least saw Chris, but didn't post about it. Maybe they bounced some quick demos off each other, maybe not.

15. I ran away

By:I ran awayMar 15, 2019
    A Rush of Blood to X&Y
    Charity Donator Coldplayer

Not at all. I wouldn't mind some more dream pop. Jonny's guitars in Fun, AICTAIY and Hypnotised were amazing

16. Gideon_Mx

By:Gideon_MxMar 15, 2019
    Life In Technicolor
    Coldplayer

To add something to it; I remember something that Jonny once said in an interview about his musical taste, namely: that he occasionally listens to jazz. I think think this was during an interview with the four of them in Japan. Found it. It was a really nice interview (that you probably have seen already) and shot in Korea, 2017.
    It's nice that they haven't done the interview with the four of them at the same time all together because who do you think would take the floor if he wishes? No 'love and togetherness' this time, well, not that I can remember. I genuinly think that Will, Guy and Jonny finally got the chance to speak without being interrupted by Chris.
    Here you can see what Jonny says about their musical preferences and how it's changed over the years. To be completely honest, jazz is a music genre that I don't really like at all. I hadn't expected that Jonny likes this genre of music until I saw this in 2017. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes and how it will eventually work out.
    Again, I think this is a really good interview, it might be the best of the AHFOD era IMO. You should watch it entirely if you haven't:

Mobile Link: https://youtu.be/sGIOKrYuWgQ?t=283

Just like Zero Theory said, all those different tastes of theirs is exactly what makes it Coldplay. I actually feel like that is truly the key to Coldplay's music.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  17. I ran away

By:I ran awayMar 15, 2019
    A Rush of Blood to X&Y
    Charity Donator Coldplayer

Don't tell me you've never seen Jonny Goes Jazz (2002)?? oO

jc90 and Carolina* like this.
  18. merril

By:merrilMar 15, 2019
    Coldplayer

[QUOTE/]I think think this was during an interview with the four of them in Japan. Found it. It was a really nice interview (that you probably have seen already) and shot in Korea, 2017.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the video. I hadn't seen it before. It's funny that even when Chris is not sitting next to him in an interview Guy hardly says anything and now he is so outspoken on his Instagram account.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  19. Gideon_Mx

By:Gideon_MxMar 15, 2019
    Life In Technicolor
    Coldplayer

Of course I have seen it :joy: Every Coldplayer should know that one!!!

But I thought it was only meant as a joke but it seems that he always liked it a bit.

IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8 likes this.
  20. stepstr

By:stepstrMar 17, 2019
    Coldplayer
    Coldplayer