Old Friends - Sunset

Coeurli

#TeamLittleGirlies #GlutenTag
Now that we have the official track list, we can discuss each track individually!

What do you think the 5th track of Sunset/Everyday life part 2 will sound like ?
:moon:

Blockflote

We'll be glowing in the dark!
Coldplayer
Old Friends is the lost brother of See You Soon, and I love it.

tallerolder

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I think the old friend is his christian faith that he grew up with as a kid - which he / as other lyrics on the album suggest / seems to be rediscovering somehow

To me, this whole album seems like a second « jesus is king » album

Blockflote

We'll be glowing in the dark!
Coldplayer
I think the old friend is his christian faith that he grew up with as a kid - which he / as other lyrics on the album suggest / seems to be rediscovering somehow

To me, this whole album seems like a second « jesus is king » album
If so, he wouldn't be naming 'Tony' at the beginning of the song, so...

Reactions: gai

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I have a feeling it's Jonny playing the guitar on this one, style-wise. Love the fingerpicking and the outro.

dxm3557

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
To me, Old Friends just sounds like a marvellous reminiscent b-side from the ARoBttH Era

the_escapist

Just a flock of birds
Coldplayer
I really like this song. Probably one of my favorites from EL.

I just wish the lyric at the beginning said "Jonny" instead of "Tony".

Can you imagine? A song directly homaging Buckin' love!

BTW: Who's Tony?

the_escapist

Just a flock of birds
Coldplayer
Tony was a friend of Chris.
He died ten years ago.
Once, Chris was cycling and encountered Tony. Tony waved him. Chris thought he was saying hello but in fact he was saying Chris to move on. Chris got hit by a car, but the fact that he stopped because he was going to say hi to Tony, saved Chris’ life.

shred

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
Tony was a friend of Chris.
He died ten years ago.
Once, Chris was cycling and encountered Tony. Tony waved him. Chris thought he was saying hello but in fact he was saying Chris to move on. Chris got hit by a car, but the fact that he stopped because he was going to say hi to Tony, saved Chris’ life.
How do you know this?

The Jordanator

Swim a river out to the sea
Coldplayer
Tell ya what this song is climbing up in the song rankings I am loving this acoustic Parachutes-esque little ditty

yoyo2000

Comme deux gouttes d’eau
Coldplayer

The full story on Chris's friend Tony. This makes this song so personal and blue. :weary_face:

AnnaElisabeth

Light a fire, a flame in my heart
Coldplayer
This song has hit me harder than any of the others on this album. I think the line “Sometimes I wanna call him” is so poignant in its simplicity and describes grief (at least mine) in so few words. Anyway just wanted to get that off my chest :heart:

wayne

Chomping at the bit
Coldplayer
The guitar picking in this song is my favourite part of the album.
This song is my second favourite after Trouble in Town.
Very much like AROBTTH and Parachutes style. Love it,
My two favourites, in the same order too :)

Coeurli

#TeamLittleGirlies #GlutenTag
Old Friends hit me reaaaaaal hard on first listen. Cried my eyes out.
It indeed totally sounds like Parachutes-era acoustic songs, like See You Soon (very, very similar in tone in fact) or Careful Where You Stand. I hope they will consider playing it on the C-stage for future tours. From the Jordan livestream, you can tell it can be just the sweetest moment, with Chris and Jonny playing alone together, so close to each other.
Discovering the meaning behind the song just adds to its devastating beauty. Chris really wrote that one straight from his heart and his guts. It's so raw, it's haungtingly beautiful. He didn't even change his friend's name or anything.

I've never had to mourn a friend, but I've had my fair share of old friendships, many of whom i've eventually lost touch with, and Old Friends really gets me to access feelings related to this. I am so grateful.