Welcome to Coldplaying!

By signing up you will receive access to the largest Coldplay fan site and hundreds of Coldplay downloads!

Performing "Fly On" AMA

Discussion in 'Coldplaying.com' started by RealRece, Oct 6, 2017.

Share This Page

1. RealRece

By:RealReceOct 6, 2017
    Livin' life in Technicolor
    Coldplayer

Hello there everyone! In case you don't know, I was extremely lucky to have introduced the band and performed on stage with Coldplay at Levi's Stadium on Oct. 4th, 2017! It was the most magical thing in the world. I know I messed up soooo much at the beginning due to the delay being extremely tough to get used to. But I got the hang of it around the first verse! So I figured, if you guys want to ask me anything, go ahead! I'd love to chat with everyone! :) if you need a link to the video, here is one that my good friends Jimmy Dushku and Ian (founder of Atlas Project) took!

Mobile Link: https://youtu.be/z5cYJ4Tqagg

2. yoyo2000

By:yoyo2000Oct 6, 2017
    I'm hyp
    Coldplayer

You were very good and I admire your courage and will. I got goosebumps from your performance. I wish I was so good at performing in public, that was fabulous.

3. RealRece

Coldplayer

Thank you so much! I was just about to ask Chris to restart but I knew I only had one chance! He kept me going by always complimenting me throughout the whole performance, even when he wasn't singing (he'd whisper to me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Fay Dunham

By:Fay DunhamOct 6, 2017
    New Coldplayer
    Coldplayer

Beautifully done Rece! Took a lot of guts to get up there and it sounded amazing.

5. dieselbenz

By:dieselbenzOct 6, 2017
    Up&Up
    Coldplayer

You did a great job on one of my favorite songs. I only wish I had been there to see it in person. You could tell Chris was genuinely impressed. It takes a lot of courage to do something like that, but pushed through and did a beautiful job.

6. Viva4242

By:Viva4242Oct 6, 2017
    New Coldplayer
    Coldplayer

I was there on Wednesday night man and I must say for playing infront of 60k people and not to mention Chris, Guy, Johnny,
    and Will you did a very good job, fly on is very rarely played live so that was a real treat. Awesome job!

ShannonF likes this.
  7. I ran away

By:I ran awayOct 6, 2017
    A Rush of Blood to X&Y
    Charity Donator Coldplayer

OMG so it was you ! I never associated the "Rece" on stage with the member "RealRece" on Coldplaying. :D Wow, congratulations !!! You did a great job !

oldiefan likes this.
  8. Captain Crieff

By:Captain CrieffOct 6, 2017
    drinking pink rabbits
    Staff Member Moderator Honorary Coldplayer Coldplayer

You did a great job!
    How does it work with the PA delay, do you essentially not hear what you're playing until a second (seconds?) later?

9. Krizer

By:KrizerOct 6, 2017
    Come on all for Love
    Coldplayer

Great job and congratulations! You are very lucky (and talented of course) :blush: It must have been the most amazing experience for you, let alone getting on stage with the boys, and then performing such a rare song! Did you have a sign that you want to play Fly On on piano or how did it happen? :)

10. Magic_2000

By:Magic_2000Oct 6, 2017
    Coldplayer

Wow man, this is amazing! It takes a lot of courage to do something like this specially since Fly On is rarely played live. Thank you so much for it, you have a great talent! :)

11. RealRece

Coldplayer

The delay was killer haha! As I would play the third or fourth eighth note, the first one would play. So there was a delay of about two seconds or so! It was a bit crazy. That's why I mess up at the beginning (mostly with the left hand. It was just trailing behind lol)

12. RealRece

Coldplayer

[​IMG]

13. jossec

By:jossecOct 6, 2017
    Coldplayer

Very well done. Aside from rhythm issues due to the delay – I can't even imagine how difficult that is – I must say you played better than Chris did the other night :) Chris also seemed to sing better this time, maybe because he didn't have to play the piano at the same time.

What I'm wondering is: how did you choose a song for your sign? Any other songs you considered? I assume the fact that Fly On was played two shows prior had an influence on your choice; I'd think a sign requesting Gravity wouldn't have worked just as well ;)

yoyo2000 likes this.
  14. RealRece

Coldplayer

Ive actually had this in the planning for over a year now! Maybe even since Ghost Stories came out honestly... it was always such a beautiful song, but I wanted to play it for my grandpa. We talked through it and made it out for the victims of Vegas as well because it was just so important to send the love to everyone!

15. Major Cooper

By:Major CooperOct 6, 2017
    Look How They Shine For You...
    Coldplayer

Been on a somewhat long hiatus from visiting our forums... I was able to get the chance to log back in today, and this is the first thing I saw. Way to go, Rece! So, the plan worked...! Excellent job! I was wondering all these months what you were going to write on your board. Exemplary choice of track to play on piano! The pictures and videos of yourself with the band will be the greatest pieces of your collection! No amount of collector's cds can equate to that! It's the ultimate, brother!

oldiefan, Magic_2000 and Fay Dunham like this.
  16. Captain Crieff

By:Captain CrieffOct 6, 2017
    drinking pink rabbits
    Staff Member Moderator Honorary Coldplayer Coldplayer

Wow, that must be so hard. Really well done man!

17. aaronm360

By:aaronm360Oct 6, 2017
    Coldplayer
    Coldplayer

Chris said in this clip (where he actually kicked the fan from the crowd off of the keyboard because he wasn't so good) that he had his keyboard specially made for him because of the size of his hands..!

Is this really true?

Congratulations on the amazing performance too!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  18. RealRece

Coldplayer

The keyboard that he uses for the B-Stage is specially made, I believe. The one on the C-Stage is made more for Will I think

19. jossec

By:jossecOct 6, 2017
    Coldplayer

Wow, then you were really lucky that Chris played it recently, so that he had the lyrics fresh in his mind! It’s a beautiful song indeed.

20. jc90

By:jc90Oct 6, 2017
    A Herp Full Of Derp
    Honorary Coldplayer Coldplayer

No question from me, but good job dude!