PoC video

Cobalt

OH SUCH THE SHAME!
Coldplayer
I figured out according to the poll the average score is 6.34 with 510 voters

Coeurli

#TeamLittleGirlies #GlutenTag
I figured out according to the poll the average score is 6.34 with 510 voters
It seems quite fair to me. I voted 8, meaning 7.5 and also adding 1 extra point for Chris' hotness :nod:

Tash

clueing for looks
Coldplayer
What China's Talking About Today: Rihanna's Stereotype-Filled 'Princess of China' Video

The music video for Rihanna and Coldplay's duet "Princess of China" portrays the country with heavily stylized Asian stereotypes, some of which aren't even about China. We have the flying martial artists of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, the elongating eye makeup common in older Western films about China such as 1944's Dragon Seed, and the multiple arms of Indian goddess Kali.

But the roughly 1.5 million Chinese micro-bloggers who responded to the video by the time this post was published weren't too concerned by the video's racially charged and culturally simplified depiction, which has generate some controversy in the U.S.

Instead, many Weibo users are tickled that an Afro-Caribbean pop star portrayed a Chinese princess.

"This Princess of China is a little dark-skinned," wrote user Daniel-Lin-SH.

User Kensou-Lee, who claims to be undergoing military training, asked, "When I return, will I be so tan that I will be as black as the Princess of China?"

China, in its search for natural resources and influence abroad, has engaged in a soft power push in Africa to modernize the continent with infrastructural development and investments. A shared colonial experience has allowed China to establish a kind of caché with Africa, helping to develop the strong economic and diplomatic ties.

Diverting from the Beijing Party line on solidarity with black-skinned people, many Chinese refer to Africans working and studying in China as hei gui -- literally black devil. Popular Chinese perceptions of the global black community can sometimes be unflattering, and this complicated relationship might be coming through in Chinese web users' reactions to the Rihanna video.

Some micro-bloggers weren't as concerned about Rihanna's race as her overall physical attributes as a musician charged with playing Chinese.

"So this is how foreigners envision a Princess of China... I can't help but say that Ri Ri's forehead does bear a lot of longevity," said Bixiaomao, referring to the traditional Chinese practice of fortune-telling based on facial characteristics.

Others weren't upset by the video at all, but see it as a sign that Chinese soft power is making its way Westward.

"Coldplay's Princess of China, a Chinese wind is blowing abroad," wrote chrislovenutrition.

link

Wickett

The eye watching you.
Coldplayer
Is it just me or have Coldplay videos suddenly surged up after MX era?
No. The best video they ever had was Violet Hill, or Lovers In Japan. The Paradise video was funny, but so non-Coldplay, too light-hearted to be meaningful, and did not match the dreamy feel of the song at all. Charlie Brown was terrible! The camera was so all over the place I'm not sure Chris was in it, and I couldn't care less about two people falling in love. I wanted to see the boys bounce around with glowing instruments, which was there, but it was so quick I couldn't enjoy anything.

The Princess Of China video is just as bad. It's all over the place, oh, and it has Rihanna in it. I gave it a 0.

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer

Coldplay and 'Princess' Rihanna Rally On Social 50 Chart

Coldplay made some significant strides in the online world this week as the group's newest video for its hit song "Princess of China" (featuring Rihanna) was released on June 2. That causes the rock band to make a big jump on Billboard's Social 50 chart, rising 30-22.

The Social 50 chart ranks the most popular artists on YouTube, Vevo, Facebook, Twitter and MySpace, using a formula that blends weekly additions of friends/fans/followers along with weekly artist page views and weekly song plays.

"Princess of China," the fourth single from Coldplay's album "Mylo Xyloto," has so far peaked at No. 20 on the Hot 100. The song's featured guest, Rihanna, happens to also hold the No. 1 spot on the Social 50 this week.

Channeling audiences from two massive online fan bases (over 75 million combined fans on Facebook alone) the video was able to garner 7 million views in only seven days. That helped Coldplay rack up 14,732,000 views to its VEVO channel during the charting week.

The success of the video created a positive impact on both artists' fan bases. Coldplay added just over 147,000 followers across Twitter, Facebook and Myspace to their overall fan base (a 7% increase) while Rihanna added 407,482.

http://www.billboard.com/news/coldplay-and-princess-rihanna-rally-on-social-1007335752.story#/news/coldplay-and-princess-rihanna-rally-on-social-1007335752.story

wabbit

Tweet Reader.
Coldplayer
On the other hand, they managed to give me just that sentiment of a movie like Crouching Tiger/ Hidden Dragon (did you guys see the dragon in the videoclip as well?!), House Of Flying Daggers, Kill Bill, Kung PoW!, Drunken Master, etc...
I enjoyed the scenery and theme. And still love the song :D

In addition, some of the clothing/sword fight/flying scenes seem inspired by this movie as well: Hero

Came across this on Tumblr here

nancyk58

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I have seen that video 3 times today (from MTV, Denmark 1 - from Danish Voice TV: 2)

And it was played on the radio today. I am sure that it will be a huge hit in Denmark - at least get a lot of radio airplay. It will soon have been played more than Charlie Brown.

jeremyy

Up&Up
Coldplayer
tpday i watched this video on a Turkish music channel.
The title was Coldplay & Rihanna - Princess of china.
They cut the Chris' part :| :| the video began with Rihanna's part which she was singing with her annoying nails. and it ended with another Rihanna part. I didn't understand why they did this :confused: :confused: :angry:

HIGHSPEEDER

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
well Im ready to move on from and start waiting for lp6, anyone else feel the same way? The mx era will be known for two things great live shows and single flops.... I know many of you might say that there singles never do that well, but they never done this bad either... I live in los angeles were we embrace everything coldplay but this era has been a disaster. there latest poc single is another flop here. many may say that its doing well in the uk or in europe and its #1 in some small chart like the "social chart" or whatever.. but the truth is coldplay have managed to go from a world act to a band that only succeeds in there native uk or europe they have lost there world sound, and i know they have to be dissapointed in that.

Coeurli

#TeamLittleGirlies #GlutenTag
^^ I think you're a bit pessimistic. And, also, their music has never been as "mainstream" as today, so I disagree when you say they lost their "world sound". I mean, think about the success of Paradise!

kickinit4real22

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
well Im ready to move on from and start waiting for lp6, anyone else feel the same way? The mx era will be known for two things great live shows and single flops.... I know many of you might say that there singles never do that well, but they never done this bad either... I live in los angeles were we embrace everything coldplay but this era has been a disaster. there latest poc single is another flop here. many may say that its doing well in the uk or in europe and its #1 in some small chart like the "social chart" or whatever.. but the truth is coldplay have managed to go from a world act to a band that only succeeds in there native uk or europe they have lost there world sound, and i know they have to be dissapointed in that.
First of all I've live in America practically all my life and where I live the only Coldplay songs I've heard on the radio is speed of sound Viva la Vida and sometimes paradise. They themselves have said that they have never been a singles band, especially in America. And for me I'm glad about that, because do know what type of songs that get popular in the states and do extremely well are club songs, with few exceptions like Gotye, and Adele, which I am extremely proud of those two because those two artist shows that true talent can really shine through if people just listen and take note. I actually think that Coldplay really blew up in this era. I guess because for me this is the era where I became a colplayer, before this era I was like yeah I like Viva la Vida, the scientist, etc. I was like I think that their okay, a good band not great, nothing special. But as soon as I heard paradise, my mind just switched and I know many coldplay fans hate that song, but for me it is brilliant! It was like something as simple as the word paradise, where everyone has their own paradise just resonated with me. It was so beautiful and so relate-able, which takes me back to a quote where Chris said that sometimes it just takes one song for that person to come around and say yes I finally get it and for me paradise is that one song. So this era for me is the equivalent to the Rush of Blood to the Head, not in sales or popularity, but with pure artistry and brilliance.

myxylivethelife

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I liked the vid partly because it had Rihanna with the weird arms behind her like the video played on the screens during the concert that I went to. :)

Wyrd

Brent come back
Coldplayer
Since you are from USA, I hope you don't mind when I point out the difference between 'their' and 'there'?
I know many of you might say that there singles never do that well
It's supposed to be 'their'. I won't go through the rest, I leave that to Cobalt if she feels like it :D

Sorry. About the content: I don't feel the same way. I am still in the MX era and I don't feel the need to move on. I still enjoy it and it feels fresh enough for me and the next CD too far away to already focus on that.
I also don't think that for most this era will be known for the two things you just mentioned, but that's just a matter of opinion I guess with different frameworks and experiences (e.g. I am from Europe). The same goes for the success of the singles. I wouldn't say that they have flopped. PoC just came out, the video has just been released, so I wouldn't yet draw conclusions like that. Also calling it a disaster seems a bit dramatic, hahaha! I don't think the band would see it that way either. As long as the music reaches the people that enjoy it and they can feel the enthousiasm at the concerts, they won't feel disappointed by a US state that doesn't buy their singles. No one buys singles these days anyway, hahaha! And people that get Coldplay, know how to enjoy it and support the band. For example, by visiting a concert.

bubble1

Floating on a tidal wave
Coldplayer
I adore the video! It's something different, fresh and picturesque. I really like the Chinese motifs!:thumbsup::dazzled: Chris is incredible in the video!! ^_^

pansonic

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
So... I cut the video, changed the music, made it like a tragic love story between Chris and Rihanna.
Check it out if you like)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBb0HcYY26w"]Coldplay & Rihanna - Princess of China wrong music - YouTube[/ame]