Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rank the Ghost Stories songs!

laxwatcher

Escapist
Coldplayer
Ok after a few listens to every song, my opinions haven't changed much, except for Ink. True Love started out amazing, but now as I listen more closely I'm losing just a tiny bit of love for it. Still great songs and a great album tho.

1. O - Classic piano and soulful, heartfelt singing on Chris's part. I really felt Chris's sadness when Zane Lowe played this track. One of their best songs ever IMO.
2. Always In My Head - From the first sounds of the intro, you can tell this is classic Coldplay, combining Parachutes and Viva techniques.
3. Midnight - Although repetitive in its own right, it's got an atmosphere that quickly takes over the listener. Can't stop playing this.
4. Ink - First time listening didn't bode well, but it's been growing on me pretty quickly. It's a cute and catchy track and has hints of Viva instrumentation.
5. Another's Arms - Surprised me because I didn't like the live version much, but lyrics don't seem to hinder the beauty of the instrumentation on this track.
6. True Love - Still adapting to Jonny's atonal solo, and although a great chord progression, could use a bit of variety in use of volume and instrumentation. It's a bit repetitive although ethereal all the same.
7. Magic - Chill song, just not the best on the album.
8. A Sky Full Of Stars - A great track, but a bit out of place on this type of album. Kind of repetitive and a bit too poppy, but it's a nice happy song.
9. Oceans - Live version was so heartfelt, but I'm just not feeling the studio version.

ticking_clocks

Lift off this blindfold
Coldplayer
It sure is nice to see different opinions and thoughts! Everybody has a favorite or a song they don't like for very different reasons. All those differing opinions and thoughts are what make life so beautiful, like a gorgeous array of colors in a rainbow! That being said, when I started this thread I thought I would be able to rank the songs.. but ATM I just can't do it. It feels like it needs to be heard whole, no one song can be without the other. While that could be the greatest weakness for each individual song, it's also the albums greatest strength to me. The two songs that jump out to me are AIMH and O. But I love them all. If I had to pick a song I may ignore somewhat later on it might be AA. I like it, there's just something about it that doesn't make it all that memorable to me(except the epic guitar solo/bass solo), IDK. My opinion will probably change a hundred times, but for now that's my two, or three cents :) AMAZING album.

ticking_clocks

Lift off this blindfold
Coldplayer
Ok after a few listens to every song, my opinions haven't changed much, except for Ink. True Love started out amazing, but now as I listen more closely I'm losing just a tiny bit of love for it. Still great songs and a great album tho.

1. O - Classic piano and soulful, heartfelt singing on Chris's part. I really felt Chris's sadness when Zane Lowe played this track. One of their best songs ever IMO.
2. Always In My Head - From the first sounds of the intro, you can tell this is classic Coldplay, combining Parachutes and Viva techniques.
3. Midnight - Although repetitive in its own right, it's got an atmosphere that quickly takes over the listener. Can't stop playing this.
4. Ink - First time listening didn't bode well, but it's been growing on me pretty quickly. It's a cute and catchy track and has hints of Viva instrumentation.
5. Another's Arms - Surprised me because I didn't like the live version much, but lyrics don't seem to hinder the beauty of the instrumentation on this track.
6. True Love - Still adapting to Jonny's atonal solo, and although a great chord progression, could use a bit of variety in use of volume and instrumentation. It's a bit repetitive although ethereal all the same.
7. Magic - Chill song, just not the best on the album.
8. A Sky Full Of Stars - A great track, but a bit out of place on this type of album. Kind of repetitive and a bit too poppy, but it's a nice happy song.
9. Oceans - Live version was so heartfelt, but I'm just not feeling the studio version.
Yeah now that you mention it, it kinda reminds me of Rainy Day for some reason.. both songs I like

Blockflote

We'll be glowing in the dark.
Coldplayer
Good for you if you think it's genius, but I'm not a blind fanboy who calls it a great solo or one of his best guitar work. My opinion should not matter to you at all, if I think it sounds like shit then so what? It's called opinions, search up what it means before you go replying to me with that typical blind fan attitude who thinks they have to defend their favorite bands against anyone who says anything even remotely negative. It's pretty pathetic. Then again this is a Coldplay forum, I really shouldn't be surprised by that at all.
Wow, so much hate eh. So, fanboy and what else? I answer to you based on music, atonal music which you don't like. Im not defending CP or Jonny, could be any other band. But you with your taste calling shit atonal music, now that's pathetic. Think about it.

CharlieBrown

Leave a light on....
Coldplayer
1. O
It's essentially a perfect Coldplay song. Piano melody is beautiful and simple, and there is no grandiose sounds to be found. It is simply a song about heartbreak, love, and loss, so the music fits accordingly. Haunting is the word that keeps coming up among friends. This is the song that fans will remember from the Ghost Stories era. A 'staple' if you will.

2. Midnight
What can be said that hasn't been said already? It's so different from every other Coldplay song and it works splendidly. Especially within the context of the album it feels right at home among the other tracks on Ghost Stories.

3. Ink
Ink is possibly one of the most fun Coldplay songs I've ever heard. The beat is really catchy and not to mention the chorus which feels like you have to be smiling while you sing it. Wins the award for 'song they should have used to be a single'.

4. Always In My Head
Perfect opener for Ghost Stories. Most of the album openers are all loud and ecstatic, but this opts for a quiet and simple feeling. Which prepares you for the rest of the album. Lyrically the best song on the whole record.

5. Oceans
Throwback Coldplay, and it totally works. Will's drum pad is catchy and the lyrics are painfully sung by Chris is almost all falsetto. Plus the last minute and a half works as a perfect transition into A Sky Full of Stars

6. Another's Arms
One of Coldplay's most well produced songs, especially on Ghost Stories. Yes the lyrics are cheesy but they feel right with the ghostly feel to how they're sung. Johnny rocks the guitar on this one and Will's drums are about to kill my speaker system, all in all the track is very beautiful and most 'Ghost Story' of all the songs on the record.

7. A Sky Full of Stars
Bombastic and energetic, within the context of Ghost Stories it works like a charm. Outside of the album's barriers, it feels like a remix done by another artist.

8. True Love
This one definitely feels like it will grow on me but for now it's at the bottom of the list. Very beautiful synths and vocals, and a solo which takes some getting used to all contribute to a very 80s brit-pop sound. I wish that they would have gone with a more 'Oceans' approach to True Love instead of a more 'Midnight' approach. If there was an acoustic version of this song it may just be amazing.

9. Magic
Magic is a good song, but it is the weak link from Ghost Stories. In the context of the album it feels a bit out of place, but it still flows into Ink really well. Love the last minute of this song with a passion, and you've got to love Chris channeling his inner Justin Timberlake vocals.

Strawberry Swinger

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
1. Midnight
2. O
3. Oceans
4. Another's Arms
5. Always In My Head
6. Magic
7. True Love
8. Ink

150. A Sky Full of Stars

(Will post the short reviews a bit later :) )

HowCouldIForget

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
1. O (10/10)
2. Always in My Head (9/10)
3. Midnight (8.5/10)
4. Oceans (8.5/10)
5. Another’s Arms (8.0/10)
6. Ink (7.0/10)
7. A Sky Full of Stars (6.5/10)
8. True Love (5.5/10)
9. Magic (3.5/10)

My least favorite album by them for sure. :nod: I can't complain though, I'm glad they're willing to do something different every album. :thinking: If it wasn't for said mentality we wouldn't have Viva and they'd be like The Fray, making the same music every album which is not thrilling :p Besides, there's still the bonus tracks.

Nature

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
i'm really curious about the bonus tracks, most of the time those bonus tracks are better then the actual album songs.

ColdMartin

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
1- A Sky Full of Stars
2- Always In My Head
3- O
4- Ink
5- Magic
6- True Love
7- Ocean
8- Another’s Arms
9- Midnight

nb97

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
1. Always In My Head - 10/10
2. Magic - 7/10 loved it more as a single
3. Ink 8/10 love at first listen
4. True Love 6,5/10 still has to grow on me
5. Midnight 8/10
6. Another's Arms 6/10 same as True Love
7. Oceans 5/10 still, I can't handle with song
8. A Sky Full Of Stars 9/10 I don't have anything against EDM
10. O 10/10

lukaz42

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Always In My Head - 8.5
Magic - 6.5
Ink - 8
True Love - 9
Midnight - 8.5
Another Arms - 9
Oceans - 8
A Sky Full Of Stars - 7
O - 10

tauiwi

Hotplayer
Coldplayer
Always In My Head - *****
Magic - *****
Ink - ****
True Love - ***
Midnight - *****
Another Arms - ****
Oceans - ****
A Sky Full Of Stars - ****
O - *****

katiepope

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
ok im ready! Im sorry but I think this is their best body of work ... actually I think this is chris martins best body of work because for once with us he was completely honest and wasn't afraid to show it .. Sure some cheesy lyrics but sometimes love is cheesy :) I think this is the most ive respected them .. But thats just me

Always in my head 10/10 AWESOME OPENER
Magic 8/10
Ink 9/10
True Love 9 /10
Midnight 10/10
Anothers Arms 7/10
Oceans 10/10 BUT I WOULD HAVE MUCH PREFERRED IF IT WAS RECORDED DIFFERENTLY
ASFOS 8/10
O 25/10 :)

I think this is the most fluid album they have its one big story .. I think there's a lot more creativity behind this then meets the eye !

Edited to add:

I find it hard to relate these songs to me and I find it hard to not think about those two people .. But thats ok I understand this album was intended for a certain purpose so Im able to just put myself in that situation and kinda relate that way! I think unless your a coldplay fan and you know what happened or unless you have had hard relationship problems then ppl will be cold towards this album .. Same time I think most the population have had trying times when it comes to love .. Im disappointed with how its being recieved by some ppl but the good comes with the bad .. I just cant critic someone on true emotion .. I dont understand how ppl can hate something that is so stripped and true.... you may not relate but I would say that hate is a strong word!

Leopard

Flying On
Coldplayer
1. Midnight
= Fly On / O
3. Ink
4. Always in My Head
= Another's Arms
6. True Love
7. Magic
8. Oceans
9. A Sky Full of Stars

ASFOS isn't an overly dire song in itself, but it doesn't really belong on this album. Even ETIAW would be more appropriate.

Change

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
1. Anothers Arms - I'm realy surprised no one else seems to love it that much =O
2. Midnight
3. Ink
4. ASFOS
5. O
6. Oceans
7. Magic
8. Always in my Head
9. True Love

Written In Graffiti

Missing The Mark
Coldplayer
1. O (Fly On) - 10/10 - Pure perfection. Up there with Amsterdam and Every Teardrop as one of my favourites.
2. Midnight - 9/10 - a whole new direction. Dreamy and haunting.
3. A Sky Full of Stars - 8.5/10 - love the dance vibe. Its uplifting and heart-warming.
4. Magic - 8/10 - relaxed and melodic, and without the massive crescendo build-up of songs like Fix You.
5. Always in my Head - 7.5/10 - I'm not too keen on the live performances, but the studio version is great.
6. Ink - 7/10 - standard Coldplay pop song. Nothing spectacular but certainly listenable and very fun!
7. True Love - 7/10 - as above!
8. Oceans - 6.5/10 - I think this is a grower. The first time I listened to it, I wasn't enamoured by it. But its certainly a return to their roots.
9. Another's Arms - 3/10 - I hope it's a grower. I hate the album version; live it sounds okay. I just hate the overproduced sound and the soppy lyrics.

vinch

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Should be revising but: Great album! Not sure at the moment if it's my favorite but i think up there with Viva. Here's my attempt at a rank so far as i continue to listen whilst wrestling with some sociology.

1. Always In My Head 10/10 - What a tune, love it completely. IMO a modern take on a AROBTTH era track! Even the ticking noises have grown on me!

2. Ink 9.6-10/10 - Honestly possibly the best melody they have produced since a Viva era track! Incrediblemente! (Spanish listening + reading tomorrow :wink3: Really rate the song, fantastic in every way even production something i never said during the MX era!

3. True Love 9.5/10 - Ever since the live version i've been addicted to it, so catchy but so essentially Coldplay! (whatever that means!). It just sounds great with a fantastic beat and rhythm to it and even the guitar at the end is growing on me with each listen. So glad Ink and True love were kept hidden for so long, they are amazing songs and some of the best i've heard Coldplay produce.

4. O 8.5/10 - With headphones in at midnight by a lake i can imagine this is their best ever song easily. Within an album context it's a very good song to me and a fitting album closer that will remain a fan favorite long after this era ends. I really like the closers to MX and Viva both different but upbeat and intense, this is different but just as well crafted. Reminds me of an Amsterdam which is my favorite Coldplay song although the first 3 tracks i mentioned are moving up the list towards it rapidly!

5. Oceans 8/10 - Liked the live version so much it was never going to quite live up to the pedestal i'd placed it on but love the parachutes feel even though i don't overly enjoy that album. Great song but prefer it live!

6. A Sky Full Of Stars 8/10 - I know it's not that popular but i really like it and know it is going to explode later on just like Paradise did! I should really but it higher up because it's so energetic but i do also feel it would be so much better if it was less synthy and had real drums on it.

7. Magic 7.5/10 - Need to listen to this one more, be relatively successful as a single and quite a good song but i've neglected it so far to focus on the newer songs. I do like it though and can see it growing on me thanks to it's laid back and smooth style.

8. Another's Arm 7/10 - Studio version is so improved that it's growing on me but it's a little over produced and i have never really been able to get in to it but maybe that will change now i have a better chance to listen to it!

9. Midnight 6.5/10 - Like O i can see this being pretty amazing in a certain time and place but although it is also growing on me and i am a mild Bon Iver fan to a certain extent, outside of the album i could not get into it. However it is well placed in the album order and has an obvious calming and half-time song like purpose, an idea i like and admire as i feel the way an album is layed out has a massive effect on it's overall effect and sound.

coldplay♪♫♪

coldplay lover♪♫♪
Coldplayer
1. O - Just WOW 10/10
2. True Love - When I heard the live version I didn't like it very much but the studio version is butiful, the solo by the way is amazing !! 9/10
3. Oceans - I love this song, take me back to Parachutes old days.. however the studio version is not as good as the live vers in my opinian 8.5/10
4. Midnight - you can fell the darknnes before the down, very good song , like it 8/10
5. Ink - Cute song, like it. the begining is a bit anoying 7/10
6. ALways In My Head - The studio version is wonderful, bad lyrics 6.5/10
7. Another's Arms - Coldplay ruined the song on the album version 6/10
8. Magic - Boring and monotonous song 5/10
9. A Sky Full Of Stars - I do not really need to explain ... 1/10