Rate "Magic" and post your review/comments (New Poll - Magic music vid)

lorepalma

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
7/10. I really like the beginning, the guitar and chris' voice. But I dislike the lyrics, they're not deep, with no emotions, pretty commercial. C'mon boys, you can do it better!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Coeurli

#TeamLittleGirlies #GlutenTag
I've been listening to it A LOT lately! I really liked it already but it has definitely grown on me :wacky: I kinda found that little personal connection/feel/whatever that makes me go past the lyrics, that I quite disliked at the start and that taken alone are really not good (I think). But after all you can't really consider lyrics on their own and I find that "and i don't and i don't and i don't" part actually really good. By that I mean it kind of resonates in me.
So, yeah, I find the song very enjoyable.
:wacky:

charliebrown0012

Coldplay Forever
Coldplayer
solid 8. Not the best coldplay song but for me one of their best why? Because i dont know why i cant stop playong the repeat button even after several days or weeks. I should be tired of this song now after listening to it everyday but NO im not tired of it yet ... Its such a good JaMMing song to do with a band urrgghhh. Lyrics are simple but you can feel his emotions on his voice and how he sings it and the instruments and production fits perfectllyyyyyyyy Magic indeed! My fave part is yes also "i dont i dontknow parts" because theres so much doubt mixed with joy on how he says it and means that je is sooo lost or he has been blinded by love that he doesnt know what to do or say! Anway... Magical!

LdySpace

Biggest CP Fan 2013
Coldplayer
I loved it from the beginning - it's simple and sweet. But the more I listen to it, the more addicted I become. This album can't get here fast enough!

Car Kids

Long Live Most Kings
Coldplayer
I love this song more and more every day. It is easy going and has an addictive quality that I can't quite verbalize.

cK

charliebrown0012

Coldplay Forever
Coldplayer
I love this song more and more every day. It is easy going and has an addictive quality that I can't quite verbalize.

cK
yeah same here why is this song addicting? Ive never felt this way for a cp song in a while perhaps the last one was charliebrown

Romy_MX

Car Kid
Coldplayer
I like the 'and i don't and i don't and i don't and i don't' bit. Very catchy, good melody writing from Chris there. Notice that he harmonises himself on the 'and i' bit but not the 'don't' creating some extremely catchy, off-beat stuff. I also like where he does some falsetto voice acrobatics on the 'ma-ma maaagic' bit. Apart from those, Chris' singing and lyrics throughout the song are very average, not amazing.

I love the intro through, its my favourite part! I think it's guy on the guitar, doing that off beat funky thaang! It's amazing. And a bit of Eno coming though too, with that odd little sound effect, that sounds a bit like a train stopping in a station. That screech kinda puts you on edge for the rest of the song, ready to move. Brian's done well there.

I'm not sure if I like the piano, it kinda clashes, too soft and flowing. I think they should have kept it that awesome edgy, funky guitar. Oh well. Will is pretty good, but I would have liked to have seen more from him, he doesn't really deviate from that beat often enough.

AmbroseCadwell

Future Reflector
Coldplayer
The part during the bridge(?) where he sings something like "fall so far" reminds me of another Coldplay song, but I can't remember which...

consultingmoose

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I wasnt that into it when I first heard it really but as I kept listening to it it really grew on me. I like the sort of minimalist direction they seem to be going in. I mean I'll miss the loud crazy stuff but I think it's a nice change

likeafire

Scientist
Coldplayer
The worst song theyve ever made, simples. If this was done by another band, no one here would listen twice.

Its not bad but its just not coldplay. Its way too slow and way too bland. Theres nothing to the song. It didnt even make the uk charts. Hopefully not all the album is like this otherwise its going to bomb big time

5/10 for the song

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

mayrn43

Up&Up
Coldplayer
It did? Oh i thought it didnt. That just shows how bad the uk charts are.

The UK charts are not "bad"
The charts dont just randomly determine which songs are successful, the reception does. If you don't like the songs in the charts, that is your opinion. And, I do think that a high percentage of music with high chart positions these days is garbage, but Magic is an example of a song that is great (yes, most of us like it) and made the top 10.

likeafire

Scientist
Coldplayer
Nah its a mediocre song. This song only made the top ten cause it was made by coldplay.

If this song was made by a lesser known artist theres absolutely no way it wouldve made the top ten

Im glad they got another top ten hit though. Its not a bad song anyway, just expect more when it comes to coldplay, a lot more

mayrn43

Up&Up
Coldplayer
It is all about opinion sir :) im expecting the album to have better songs, like A Sky Full of Stars and Ink

HowCouldIForget

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Unfortunately, Coldplay's latest tune sounds more like a stripped-down, poorly-written Bruno Mars song as opposed to exemplifying the deep and inspiring nature the band has come to be known for.

As soon as the song opens, the realization hits that the percussion could hardly be more basic and trite, incredibly exceeding even Mylo Xyloto's "Paradise" in this category. 'Lest this writer give the impression that simplicity is necessarily bad, this is not the case at all. Songs like The Scientist and Fix You, which highlight the alternative rock foursome's catalog, illustrate how simplicity can be equally heartfelt and powerful, but not so here. The bare, repetitive and monotonous lyrics are even more unlike them, quite starkly contrasted with, say, the complex and thoughtful likes of their fourth album's second single, "Viva la Vida." The word magic alone is said nearly ten times without even being in the chorus, and the assertion "no I don't" numbers in the several dozens; talk about commercialized belaboring.

The uninspired stanza rhymes are no less disheartening, playing the entirety of the verses rhyming off the likes off "you" and "through", in a vein similar to the band's 2005 song "Swallowed in the Sea." However, said song offers much more in the way of music quality than "Magic" can fathom. Pianos and glittering synths are sparingly used, and even then only to pretty up the underwhelming premise of the song rather than flex the talent of lead singer Chris Martin. Martin's exaggerated and unbearably-sugary vocals serve only to alienate the listener further from the debacle that is at hand. Only guitarist Johnny Buckland's shimmery guitar near the three minute mark gives this critic any enjoyment out of the song and is a waning reflection of the talent the band has often exhibited since their debut in 2000 but seems in danger of foregoing for chart prowess instead.

To experience such a disappointing and generic effort from one of the world's biggest (and dare I say, best) bands in the world can surely be seen as a testament to music's gradual shift from meaningful verse and melody to catchy chorus and synthetic pseudo-'talent' over the past few decades. On a positive note, the music of other Ghost Stories reveals suggests that maybe all hope isn't to be abandoned for the British quartet just yet.

Rate: 3/10

DieProspekt

Frank
Coldplayer
Possibly my favourite song of them ever actually. Love how everything comes together so nicely in the end- the beat and the bass.

Sure it draws influence from the xx, but the xx are awesome and there are worse sounds to go after. One of the great things about Coldplay is the range of sounds they've gone for- but if you're hoping they'll do another X&Y, Viva or whatever you will be disappointed.

Maybe that's what I like most about Magic- how normal it sounds on today's mainstream radio stations. They've changed with the times- they're still today's band. They won't be releasing a 'Best of' album (like the Killers, Radiohead) anytime soon.

HowCouldIForget

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Maybe that's what I like most about Magic- how normal it sounds on today's mainstream radio stations. They've changed with the times- they're still today's band. They won't be releasing a 'Best of' album (like the Killers, Radiohead) anytime soon.
The fact that Radiohead will never change with the times is what makes them infinitely better, not worse. I couldn't possibly be more relieved that Thom Yorke would never do something like this... :sunny:

I'd like to also point out that Viva la Vida didn't sound normal at all. It could not possibly have felt more different, more unique, more 'out of place' on pop and rock radio stations, and yet it was not only one of their best songs imo (behind Clocks and The Scientist) but was still a number one hit in both the U.S. and U.K. If that's not proof that Coldplay doesn't have to put out generic, commercially mainstream, 'normal' songs like Magic to succeed, I don't know what is.

Martybuck Berrychamp

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Magic really hearkens back to earlier Coldplay albums, as far as production and instrumentation goes. This makes me really happy. Obviously, the drum beat is more electronic and more simplified, but this doesn't detract much from the song -- it really develops as it progresses. I love the simple beginning, and how it flourishes into a barrage of magical falsetto crooning, acoustic strumming, atmospheric riffing, and synthy swishing. I love the easy-listening Coldplay -- something you can put on as a background when driving and be completely immersed with the ambience. This is why it seems to similar to their earlier stuff to me!

Magic's downfall is its lyrical content. In fact, from all of the songs I've heard from the new Coldplay material, the lyrical content is severely lacking. It seems lazy and underwritten and, frankly, not like Coldplay at all. All of it is completely trite and contrived. You can guess the next lyrics because of the simple and highly unoriginal rhyming scheme. This is not to say Chris Martin has ever been poet-level lyricist, but compared to this stuff -- yes he has. Viva's lyrics are well thought-out and they tell a story. X&Y is vague and cliche, but catchy and expressive. AROBTTH and Parachutes are visceral and heartfelt. Magic's lyrics are poppy and banal.

So this is good background music. I'll listen to this on a rainy day when I'm driving around, or when I'm trying to fall asleep and need to relax, but it doesn't speak to me on any deep level. But hey! Isn't that what pop music should be about? Coldplay is making a concerted effort to be more of a pop band, and that's not bad at all -- especially with this stuff from Ghost Stories. Pop music needs to be more dynamic, and Coldplay's really good at writing that kind of music. So I'm going to give this a 7/10.

PS: I'm new to this site, but I've been a Coldplay fan for a long time and wanted badly to talk about Ghost Stories! So I hope that was a good review. Thank you!