"Something Just Like This" - The Chainsmokers & Coldplay

cp3176

Kaleidoscopes
Coldplayer
Wow... I seriously can't believe the amount of love this song is getting. I really like this song but I expected way, WAY more hate for it. I'm surprised. Pleasently surprised.
I'm probably the only person who generally likes The Chainsmokers on here outside of the sexist comments and things like that. This is a great song and even for the people not liking it we shouldn't be too worried, keep in mind this is The Chainsmokers ft. Coldplay not the other way around. If it was the other way around, I could see where you're coming from. The haters should still have hope for the EP. Then again, who's to say Coldplay won't do something with The Chainsmokers the other way around....

Well I have heard it 2x on Spotify and 1x live and... I already have forgotten most of how it sounded.
Says enough.
I literally only listened to it twice and it's been playing in my head nonstop, even though I listened to about 15 songs afterwards. As per usual with The Chainsmokers, catchy and extremely memorable at least for me.

wow I knew this song would get it really hard, and I'm surprised I'm defending it. As a complete hater of the chainsmokers, I'm really surprised I like this one. I don't know what it is that makes it good, maybe it's Jonny but I'll find out. to think nickelback released a good song this year and now the chainsmokers have got their first real song (well not really it's mainly Coldplay's comeback from AHFOD) without it being a fucking failed seizure to the ears like Closer or Paris. what is going on with this year. i still miss the band that did Square One and Politik as everyone does, though, and would highly prefer something like that over this. but hey, it's pretty decent, nowhere near as godawful as XMTS was.
This song is actually receiving much more positive comments then I had expected. Of course there are haters but still. You're one of the last people I would have expected to be defending this. I really like this song too and I actually like most of what I've heard from The Chainsmokers. I'll never defend them artistically for now but they're fun to listen to for me. I can see why you wouldn't like them though. But this to be honest is a great song.
About Nickelback I honestly think they're criminally underrated but it is funny that a lot of people consider their new song far better than that Linkin Park fail though.

This better not be on the ep or played during the tour.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Coldplaying mobile app
Won't be on the EP, not sure about the tour

Chao

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Cheap music, trashy club sounds and catchy tunes that'll be forgotten in days. I'm quite disappointed with Coldplay really. Didn't knew they'd go for this direction to trash their band name just for the sake of cash and fame.

MC01Coldplay

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Cheap music, trashy club sounds and catchy tunes that'll be forgotten in days. I'm quite disappointed with Coldplay really. Didn't knew they'd go for this direction to trash their band name just for the sake of cash and fame.
nah

Spider-Man

Running In The Dark
Coldplayer
Absolutely love it. Hope the new EP sounds just like this. Would make the live show explosive and energetic. Bring on more!

cp3176

Kaleidoscopes
Coldplayer
This is much better than a lot of other mainstream music today.

Don't freak out. This is The Chainsmokers ft. Coldplay, not the other way around. There is still hope for KEP.

Sorry, I wouldn't say they did this just for cash and fame.

Norys

True love
Coldplayer
Cheesy and simple lyrics, musically I love the last minute and C's voice
I didn't know a lot about the duet before I listened to this song, however I have feelings for SJLT because is a part of my boys.

alisbe

We're diamonds taking shape
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I love it! I'll have it on repeat. Of course the best part is Jonny's riff, it's not a surprise to say that. This is a great song! (and I'm not comparing it to their discography)

Chao

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
This is much better than a lot of other mainstream music today.

Don't freak out. This is The Chainsmokers ft. Coldplay, not the other way around. There is still hope for KEP.

Sorry, I wouldn't say they did this just for cash and fame.
Well I don't know, but for me when a timeless band from the last decade is willing to collab with the hottest trash in the market right now, you can approximately see where they're heading to. Chainsmokers is so famous right now thanks to their 13 yo audience with ADHD that will and only like bouncy music. Don't you think Coldplay is trying to reach out to the new set of audience instead of moody adults that listens to Parachutes that doesn't generate much revenue? Well of course that's just my piece of cake you can disagree with.

lennyrott1

Up&Up
Coldplayer
At the end of the day...... This is a Chainsmokers produced track on a Chainsmokers album. I am torn because I despise the Chainsmokers as humans and am frustrated that an all around nice group of middle-aged Brits would collaborate with a couple of frat kids who started making EDM music to "get more pu**y". But I also can't help but love the pop appeal on this thing. And besides, its a win-win. Coldplay will now be in the Top-40 for months to come (hype for Kaleidoscope EP) and The Chainsmokers just expanded their brand and possibly, their acclaim for working with real musicians.

OLDPLAYER REVIEW/RANT: I feel the pain of all of you that miss the Viva and before days. I get it. But this has been our reality now arguably since PoC. Coldplay will collaborate whenever possible to make something they like. We got to get over that. It took me a long time to get over ASFOS, but when I did, something weird happened. I came to actually like it.

The Chainsmoker's are trash musicians and that is readily apparent here. The synth programming is amateur at best. I have buddies that make better EDM than this in their mom's basements in one night. On top of that, they can't sing. So they brought in Chris and I think it goes over nicely. This isn't Coldplay style vocals, but Chris doing a rather boyish EDM impression.

Lyrically, I don't really know what this message is. Girls don't want superheros and guys aren't superheros? I don't know. But Chris sings with typical passion and that gets me paying attention. I think his vocals are great.

Musically its a mixed bag. The EDM drop is utter rubbish. Boring chord progression. But towards the end of the track, I love the chord mix up and the bass swell. Its quite lovely, especially with the twinkly piano and added layers.
The climax is great. I love Jonny's guitar solo and the added textures. Jonny has a tendency to save these mediocre one-offs (i.e. Atlas, Miracles). Not sure what Guy or Will add, other than the live show. Maybe production on the drum pads?

Do I want Coldplay to ever do a song like this again? Heck no. But it is another genre bender to their repertoire. Hopefully the EP will have more Oldplay fan service, but I am happy to have anything new from them. This track could have been a lot worse (imagine no solo) or it could have been a lot better (imagine no Chainsmokers). Anyway, rant over.

AMDB9

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I just got around to watching the lyric video....reminds me of Strawberry Swing!!!

Spider-Man

Running In The Dark
Coldplayer
Guess I'm a 13 y/o with ADHD now. Better go get my Ativan to quell those darn Chainsmoker urges! :D

Last edited:

LeftrightleftArchi

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
Well I don't know, but for me when a timeless band from the last decade is willing to collab with the hottest trash in the market right now, you can approximately see where they're heading to. Chainsmokers is so famous right now thanks to their 13 yo audience with ADHD that will and only like bouncy music. Don't you think Coldplay is trying to reach out to the new set of audience instead of moody adults that listens to Parachutes that doesn't generate much revenue? Well of course that's just my piece of cake you can disagree with.
And to think that Coldplaying was the last place where such stereotyping that would be described as "savage" or "edgy" wouldn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siddhant

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
#SomethingJustLikeThias is not the best Coldplay song but surely it's the best Chainsmoker song i have ever heard. Chris Vocals + Johnny Guitar chords are fantastic,even the lyrics are beautiful unlike other Chainsmoker songs which have cheap lyrics

Last edited:

cheeetaz

Owner of a Phil signed ID
Coldplayer
First play on german radio right now.
Lyrics and Jonnys guitar are definitely the best parts of the song. More of both instead of the EDM chainsmokers part would be nice.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

42JTR

Watching my life on the skyline
Coldplayer
I would really love to hear the song in ''Coldplay-style'' since it could potentially be a very good song. (Don't kill me for this) but the last part (when Jonny starts playing) is a bit Politik-esque, if you think of it without the Chainsmokers part haha.

And btw, I don't know if I want to know but I'll still ask, why is there so much hate towards The Chainsmokers? I'm not really up to date with everything they do/did//stand for? I only know them because of their hits, which I like to a certain extent.

appleguyjoe

Back to Square One
Coldplayer
I think it should be stated first and foremost that I am not a fan of the Chainsmokers. At all. Not as so-called "musicians", not as people. This kind of "music" isn't something Coldplay itself should be striving towards. That being said, as many have remarked, this isn't a Coldplay song. This is a Chainsmokers song, and while I'm disappointed in Coldplay for doing the collab, I think it just goes to show the power of Coldplay. This is probably the only somewhat good Chainsmokers song out there, simply because of Chris' voice and Jonny's guitar. It does help the sound tremendously, even as much as it sounds like the typical bland EDM beat and sound. This is not a direction I hope our boys turn to in KEP, but the good old days of Oldplay are over, the band has still made great songs after that, and they will continue to. This song will be popular in my headphones for a little while, then I won't listen to it for awhile. It's somewhat catchy, but as with most EDM, boring and doesn't capture the imagination. Coldplay, both old and new, can still do that and I have no doubts they will continue to on KEP. As long as this is the last of this kind of stuff, we're good.