Welcome to Coldplaying!

By signing up you will receive access to the largest Coldplay fan site and hundreds of Coldplay downloads!

The Problem with Viva la Vida

Discussion in 'Viva la Vida (song)' started by TimeIsOnYourSide, May 7, 2008.

Share This Page

1. letdown

By:letdownMay 8, 2008
    XO
    Coldplayer

disappointed with violet hill, but i like VLV. i love when chris martin goes on about missionaries and st. peter and pillars of salt and whatever the hell. why so many biblical references? what is this song about??

2. TimeIsOnYourSide

By:TimeIsOnYourSideMay 8, 2008
    moving to mars....
    Coldplayer

I cannot wait to hear lost (or the rest of the album for that matter)

but lost sounds like true classic CP...can't wait.

3. ricardo

By:ricardoMay 8, 2008
    n00b
    Coldplayer

Well said :thumbsup:....
    This songs reminds me a lot about jesus, if it would not said that line of Saint Peter I would bet it is about Jesus, but now, I have to set up the ideas, maybe about a hero and I love the lyrics, the music... everything

4. psychedelic_punk

By:psychedelic_punkMay 8, 2008
    New Coldplayer
    Coldplayer

Yeah I'm worried, man, I really don't click with Viva La Vida at all, I really don't like it, and I've tried to re-listen 5 times (or 6?), & it's just not my thing, but I'm in love with Violet Hill, that's my scene. VLV is just too synthy for me I think, & I do like some electronica & some 80's stuff, but not this. But it's promising, all the same, that Violet Hill is there right after, so it must be a really complex album, & at least worth a good listen. I like the idea of it being traditionally artistic like that, experimental, with a bit of everything, but I like what I'm a bit familiar with as well, at least if it's vaguelly grounded in the band's roots. Like Radiohead's In Rainbows, or Muse's BH&R; I loved loved loved their new stuff.
    Still, it's weird everyone else sees it the other way around w. VLV as "wonderful" and "tear-inducing", and VH as basically rubbish...
    :stunned::shocked2:
    Coldplay's stuff usually goes BANG on the first listen... But then again there were some small bits of the afore mentioned bands' latest albums that took AGES to grow on me, & now it's all good.
    Blablabla...

5. CookyMnstr

By:CookyMnstrMay 8, 2008
    New Coldplayer
    Coldplayer

Wow, I'm so glad I read that 'cause I totally agree with you. I keep reading how VLV seems to be so much more liked than VH, when for me, it's the opposite. Though both are different from the "traditional" Coldplay sound, in VH i feel a familiarity, maybe due to the presence of the piano??? While in VLV there's too much difference from the sound I love from Coldplay. Also I'm more a fan of guitars (love Jonny's solo in VH)...

6. nothingtoseehere

By:nothingtoseehereMay 8, 2008
    Meh.
    Coldplayer

OMG, dont kill me, but do you know what this song sounds like? It sounds like something Enya would come up with! Which isnt a bad thing, I love Enya. It's Enya with more oomph.

*hides behind sofa*

7. bresc

By:brescMay 8, 2008
    Just Being Patient
    Coldplayer

agreed. just because they're not playing the instruments we traditionally associate with each of them or not playing them in the same way doesn't mean it's all chris. they are probably playing other instruments that we are yet to identify - take till kingdom come as an example - chris on guitar, will on keyboard, guy on harmonica....

the absence of heaving drumming and sexy bassline is obviously deliberate (or they wouldn't have done it). they're clearly trying to create an atmosphere that would be disturbed by those elements. but notice the contrast with vh where will and guy really do take centre stage in the song... its almost all drum and bassline, which suits the mood of that song... so i don't agree that they're being left out of the album or taking a backseat to chris (any more than usual at least! :p)

8. greta22

By:greta22May 8, 2008
    New Coldplayer
    Coldplayer

i can see a slight enya resemblance.... however have you ever heard of imogen heap? i definitely think it has traces of her production style mixed in it, especially with the big sweeps of kettle drums and strings & synths, etc

9. riceoroni87

By:riceoroni87May 8, 2008
    New Coldplayer
    Coldplayer

Guitar? Jon?

I agree that this is a drastic change, but I like this new direction and believe that they still sound like Coldplay. They are just expanding their available instrumentation, there is nothing wrong with that.

I think there is guitar, though, in the background at 0:28 and 1:38. It's just been run through Johnny's "new toys". You can hear distortion, reverb, and bent notes! B-)

10. Hotplay007

By:Hotplay007May 8, 2008
    真実の愛を待って
    Coldplayer

It had to grow on me to understand how awesome it really is. I mean, REALLY HAVE TO GROW on me. I use to be pretty bad on here about my nostalgia but now I feel that this a turn for the better.

At times, I wanted to just want to cry because it wasn't Coldplay. Well, I had to realize, this is Coldplay, just... in a evolutionary form. I said that before, "Where is Guy and Will?" I hear that. I wondered that myself. But, just, wait and make a final judgment when the album actually comes out. That's the best advice I can give.

11. TimeIsOnYourSide

By:TimeIsOnYourSideMay 8, 2008
    moving to mars....
    Coldplayer

Well hopefully you guys don't think i'm totally crazy. I do really like the song in general. I just really need to hear the whole album.

12. Bequinta

By:BequintaAug 18, 2008
    If you'd only say Yes
    Coldplayer

It's good that they changed their sound. Chris Martin actually said something in an interview along the lines of: "Well we can't get much bigger so we tried to get better. And even if its shit, at least its different." As for what its played with there are no synths I believe from what I can tell ; and I'm an expert on the song. I have listened to it 234 times and I'm going to play it for my church's talent show with my friend and two keyboards so I have actually been studying it :) It consists of strings, bass guitar, drums, and some kind of high pitch chimes he plays after the second chorus. I could be wrong but what I can't figure out is what Jonny is doing on a keyboard the whole song.

13. Fixed

By:FixedAug 19, 2008
    Livin' life in Technicolor
    Coldplayer

I think there's a harpsichord in the link between the first chorus and "It was a wicked and wild wind". There's also piano around when Chris sings, "Revolutionaries wait for my head on a silver plate".

14. illuvcoldplay

By:illuvcoldplayJan 11, 2009
    Chrissylicious
    Coldplayer

Viva La Vida is my favourite coldplay song of all............ I'm very addicted to it

15. YellowYou

By:YellowYouJul 29, 2009
    New Coldplayer
    Coldplayer

I dont care if it sounds diffrent then Coldplay usally sounds like, I LOVE IT!

16. Pink

By:PinkSep 30, 2009
    Coldplayer
    Coldplayer

Bump

I found it interesting to revisit this thread, now in retrospect. Of particular interest -- the thought that this was Chris's evolution (when we now know he was actually banned from the studio so the other guys could add their stamp). And the question of whether they could pull off this new sound in concert (didn't seem to be a problem ;) ). And whether VLV could support big sing-alongs. It's been a fun 1.5 years and I'm really excited for #5.