[The Telegraph intv.] Coldplay: 'Rock music has nowhere left to go’

The Adversary

Weapon of the Future
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Going slightly off topic from Coldplay, I found this old video of the 'rivalry' between the likes of Coldplay, Travis and Stereophonics (the latter are still sounding fresh while still sticking to the same formula). That Gwyneth reference
*When Coldplay were deserving of respect*
Where is Phil Harvey and his influence these days?

Last edited:

Durk

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Good interview. They said similar things at end of VLV.
I think it will be fine.
They'll be back - albeit in a different form.

Tonsu

Moved to Mars
Coldplayer
Shocking interview. I know (Chris mainly but the others back him up) they always talk shite but that's quite a step too far when for the early years they were totally reinvigorating rock and roll (it's not just 'rock' - you need the 'roll' - the groove they still had on Viva as a band).

I guess I'm done with them but I'm sure many other corporate/X-factor/1Bieber/Miley fans will still pour in, so after 15 years and many gigs more than that they won't miss me (and vice versa!).

Contrast this with Coldplay, who are like the diametrical opposite... As a fellow human being, I take Coldplay any day, even if their music never quite reaches the fiery levels / brilliance of some other rock musicians. This is what I mean when I say I don't want blood on my hands from the music I listen to...

Do you have any idea how obviously occult Coldplay have been since MX??? (It even has OTO spelled out for you on the third line of the 'A' side cover ffs!). Are folk really this beguiled by their TVs, Facebook etc, and iPhones they don't notice (not all of this is directed at yourself, obviously)?!! I can only conclude that they are.

Looking back (and with much more personal knowledge of dark stuff now, alas) it goes further back than that, but MX was when they really showed what they were about imo.

If you don't want 'blood on your hands' from the music you listen to I suggest you take a good long look at your collection and (if you have stuff by them) research properly about the likes of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Bowie, U2, Elton John, Queen, Madonna, Jay-Z, Beyonce (not saying anything about any of them mind...research yourself) and yes, Coldplay.

The last great British rock revival (as a whole thing the country came together over) came with The Stone Roses, who led directly to Oasis. They were crushed legally. I wonder why? Here's what their lead singer says about the music business:

"The music business: bad - "It's a filthy business. If you're a superstar, you can get supplied with young children, if that's your thing."

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2002/feb/02/shopping.popandrock

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Do you have any idea how obviously occult Coldplay have been since MX??? (It even has OTO spelled out for you on the third line of the 'A' side cover ffs!). Are folk really this beguiled by their TVs, Facebook etc, and iPhones they don't notice (not all of this is directed at yourself, obviously)?!! I can only conclude that they are.

Looking back (and with much more personal knowledge of dark stuff now, alas) it goes further back than that, but MX was when they really showed what they were about imo.
Am I missing something ? Nope, I think I'm just sane.

Stephie

My heart is my gun
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I feel like this went off the rails pretty quickly. :D

I guess I never considered Coldplay to be rock. Just a band playing their instruments, making music I love with various influences. Probably because I feel I'm not cool enough for rock anyway. :D The feeling of being not cool enough for cool stuff, but still considerably happy, always was one of my connections with the band. It seemed like they came from a similar place.

Nikola

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
AHFOD is a good album and has some cracking songs on it but simplicity works best for them I think. Just simply conveying their thoughts and feelings through melodies and thoughtful lyrics without adding all of these conditions and rules. Chris on vocals + piano/guitar, Jonny on guitar, Guy on Bass and Will on drums.

Agreed 100%.

They use "experimentation" to conceal the decline in songwriting quality.

I was with you up until this point.

Then you went full crazy. Never go full crazy.

lol

arushofjacktothehead

A Wispa, A Wispa, A Wispa
Coldplayer
I wish this 2010's pop thing with any of the music industry never happened.

I'm crying that Chris has said 'rock's done':(

But it won't be done.

arushofjacktothehead

A Wispa, A Wispa, A Wispa
Coldplayer
Imo, Bastille, Imagine Dragons and OneRepublic are quite good, but not really unique and different.

I just remembered Tame Impala are a psychedelic rock band, I really loved Currents. There's option 1. Then there is Foals, a British rock band whose unique sounds propel on the new album What Went Down. There's option 2. And after that there's of course good ol' Radiohead who might release next year (PLEEEEASE!) There's option 3. Rock isn't dead, but if pop dominates like this it will stay unpopular for a bit unfortunately.

LeftrightleftArchi

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
Imo, Bastille, Imagine Dragons and OneRepublic are quite good, but not really unique and different.

I just remembered Tame Impala are a psychedelic rock band, I really loved Currents. There's option 1. Then there is Foals, a British rock band whose unique sounds propel on the new album What Went Down. There's option 2. And after that there's of course good ol' Radiohead who might release next year (PLEEEEASE!) There's option 3. Rock isn't dead, but if pop dominates like this it will stay unpopular for a bit unfortunately.
OneRepublic, yes they aren't very unique. But Bastille and ID are still on their first and second albums. I wouldn't really consider Parachutes very unique (Like Chris said, a bunch of ripoffs of other bands).

getithom

Baby blue.
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Guess what. Coldplay has been pop rock for 3 albums now. And that's not counting the poppy songs they've done in previous albums (ex. The Hardest Part). But really, I think what Chris meant in his statement was about rock in general (including pop rock). Also, people who aren't fans of Coldplay would call them pop rock for all of their career.
No, I know. Coldplay just does it best (in my opinion). I agree with Chris' comments and I'm happy they're happy.

HowCouldIForget

Coldplayer
There was always something raw and powerful about Coldplay. They weren't the most unique band. But in a world of soulless music, they had heart. Feeling. Some depth. Jonny's lovely guitar riffs and Chris' little piano lines brought everything to life. Will's energizing drums and Guy's understated bass plodding along.

Now they can stand around a computer and bury the guitar and piano at will. They can create percussion without any effort.

They first started using drum machines on Lost! and it sounded great. They first used the vocoder on HLH and the effect illuminated the anxious part of the song. It gave it a cool, dystopian feel.

But they're not using technology in a clever or compelling way anymore. The dark, stripped-back style plays well with drum machines on, say, Another's Arms (despite the lyrics). But on every single song on the album? On Amazing Day and Up&Up? Not at all. Too much of anything is a bad thing, especially when it plain doesn't fit. It's an overused trick that they're relying on and it's jarring at times.

And when Chris pushes the band to work with people like Avicii and Stargate behind their backs, things change. Were they accepting of it afterwards? Sure. Pop music is infectious and all these effects sound cool at first. But they wear on you quickly. Why can't he respect other people's boundaries? Why is he exempt from the bands' rules? Why is he pushing his former/current/future lovers and musical idols on the albums?

It's become less about Coldplay and more about Chris Martin and technology. The band's talent is still there. It's just taken a backseat to everything else. I know they can still be a great band going forward. But a few things need to change.

Last edited:

uncc49

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Wow. Everyone is not evaluating indiscriminately I feel. X&y was a shell of AROBTTH. It was cliched vanilla and repetitive. MX was not cohesive and very poorl my produced. Despite what you think of this album, it is definitely more creative and cohesive and original than those 2 albums. I think Up&Up Birds Amazing Day AHFOD and Everglow could go on the best of Coldplay roster. This is there life and career people. They want to enjoy what they are doing right now and do not have misery or melancholy in their life that overrides the happiness they feel. They are being honest artists! And that is a crime?!
Oh and I am an old player whose favorite track is murder and the spies demo version

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
I´ll preface by saying I am not crazy about Stargate production on each track either. I can think of several tracks on AHFOD I would have liked to have sounded more organic and less "synth" (Up&Up comes to mind)

And when Chris pushes the band to work with people like Avicii and Stargate behind their backs, things change. Were they accepting of it afterwards? Sure.Why can't he respect other people's boundaries? Why is he exempt from the bands' rules? Why is he pushing his former/current/future lovers and musical idols on the albums?
Woah...you must know Chris intimately to come out and say how he´s pushing his lovers? LOL Ok I´ll say this. As far as I understand, most things come from Chris creative-wise (most songs), even though since Viva they have learnt to be more a band and creative inputs come from several members now. However I am sure his ideas get shot down constantly! haha (Will´s flaring nostrils comment come to mind haha). See the lyrics to Hymn as an example: he changed the whole meaning of the song cuz the others would not let him get away with it :) (rightly so imo haha).

Also Will and Guy both spoke very enthusiastically about Stargate production so they certainly seem quite pleased with it. I am pretty sure you´re right that the idea came from Chris, but no way they would go along with it if they could not stand behind it 100% imo.

And ASFOS: he made his case to the band and so they allowed the song to be in there. Doesn't seem to me he "pushed their boundaries". Its just how collaborations work.

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
They want to enjoy what they are doing right now and do not have misery or melancholy in their life that overrides the happiness they feel. They are being honest artists! And that is a crime?!
Oh and I am an old player whose favorite track is murder and the spies demo version
I like how you put it..."not having misery that overrides the happiness". I kinda like to aim for that in my life too, as much as I can, to overcome whatever sadness and pain we all inevitably feel so that the light is always stronger. And Coldplay is very inspiration on that regard I agree! :)
Wow, an old player posting something like this...I am pleasantly shocked *LOL* :) Btw Spies is the first song I heard by them, it has a special place in my heart :)

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
There was always something raw and powerful about Coldplay. They weren't the most unique band. But in a world of soulless music, they had heart. Feeling. Some depth. Jonny's lovely guitar riffs and Chris' little piano lines brought everything to life. Will's energizing drums and Guy's understated bass plodding along.
This !!

Car Kids

Long Live Most Kings
Coldplayer
It's ironic that Chris saying something that bold and pretentious is the most Liam-Gallagher-rock-star-like thing he's ever said haha. [emoji108]

Odvan

Coldplayer
OT Where I can find these demo versions?

May add MX is a bit agressive, has rebellion notes because of the album concept. While AHFoD doesn't fight with something or struggle, it just flows :)