===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

beastwars

Light reflection to fade
Coldplayer
I read on a YT comment that this song was a leftover from the VLV era...

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

prospekt46

"Nu-Sensitive music, that's bollocks though"
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I read on a YT comment that this song was a leftover from the VLV era...

It has roots dating to at least 2009. We could call Violet Hill a pre-para leftover but I don't think that's accurate. Songs incubate sometimes.

Tonsu

Moved to Mars
Coldplayer
I haven't listened to Coldplay for years but just popped on here after hearing AICT. I think it's a great track and it was memorable for me after the first listen (despite the awful production). But it wears its inspirations very obviously on its sleeve - Pictures of You by The Cure, their own Atlas, the later piano from Clocks, much of the rhythm and energy from Yes (and the live version towards the end the live extended version of Yes). It's completely derivative, safe and nothing they didn't beat on VLV almost ten years ago, but pretty decent (awful mixing aside).

I think that the song as a whole is fine (that piano brings in AROBTTH vibes), but the lyrics seem a bit poorly wrote and flat. Like what's the point of a "Lone poor shoe; I want to walk into two"? At least we've got an Eno collab to look forward to on the EP, if it's any good that is.
On the face of it it's an obvious heartfelt love plea allegory that someone here on Earth shouldn't be just one shoe from what should be a pair, which all sounds very sweet.

However there's a deeper meaning imo.

Look into masonic signs for one or two shoes missing and what that means. Also google 'order out of chaos' (also in the song ofc).

Lots of other things about this band, particularly since MX came out - too much to list here. 3 is a very occult number so just look at the 3rd down line of the MX (which is a magickal symbol itself) cover. 'OTO'. Google that.

Sorry. I have far more evidence than this, but a fansite probably isn't the place to spill it, and I really don't mean to upset anyone, but sometimes the truth hurts alas.

beastwars

Light reflection to fade
Coldplayer
If there's a thing I hate about them in their post-Viva eras is that they release their best songs in EPs or as b-sides.
A L I E N S, All I Can Think About Is You and Hypnotised are good songs, just like were All Your Friends, Ghost Story and Moving To Mars....
Next year will be 10 years from the last good LP they managed to produce....

prospekt46

Coldplayer
Charity Donator
the new miracles track could certainly be top 40 but it's bottom 40 to me. Another one for the pit of truly embarrassing Coldplay songs

frostbitepanda

Grrr...
Coldplayer
^^ Embarrassing is a good way to put it. It's very disappointing too, as I really love certain elements to that song-- the guitar work most especially.

frostbitepanda

Grrr...
Coldplayer
If there's a thing I hate about them in their post-Viva eras is that they release their best songs in EPs or as b-sides.
A L I E N S, All I Can Think About Is You and Hypnotised are good songs, just like were All Your Friends, Ghost Story and Moving To Mars....
Next year will be 10 years from the last good LP they managed to produce....
To be fair, Coldplay has a habit of putting some of their best work on either an EP or on B-sides. Of course, we've never had to deal with three strait disappointing albums (although, I am of the opinion that GS is a better album than X&Y, but that's just like... my opinion man).

It's... disheartening and frustrating to be sure. I was trying to describe it to my brother last night, who loves Coldplay. It's so infuriating to be a fan of theirs, because you know what they're capable of music-wise. You know how much talent they have and that keeps getting reinforced through releases like this, but then gets thrown back in your face with works like SJLT and M(SS). It's MADDENING.

prospekt46

Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Checking up on what people are saying it's pretty evident critically people are practically spelling out to them to get out of the funk they're in. In the grand scheme of it AICTAIY isn't even THAT good but they've been so bad recently it's a sign of light, A L I E N S on the other hand is just straight up good.

@frostbitepanda
GS > X&Y isn't too crazy to me actually because I've always seen X&Y as their weakest old album. What If is boring as hell to me and Speed of Sound is my least favorite oldplay track by far. GS has a few tracks I really do like but X&Y still holds out to me, the lows of A Sky Full Of Stars are far lower than SoS

frostbitepanda

Grrr...
Coldplayer
Fair, I can agree to that.

I don't know if I've ever met someone with my particular disdain for X&Y. I just feel like, overall, the songwriting on GS was leagues better than anything on X&Y. You call "What If" boring--- that whole album with the exception X&Y (song) and maybe Twisted Logic is boring as hell. And, I think SFoS is a better song than my personal least favorite from X&Y (and, like, ever)-- The Hardest Part (even typing out the name of that song made me clench my jaw a bit).

beastwars

Light reflection to fade
Coldplayer
I think that GS is a decent album too, but I don't agree when you talk about X&Y being a bad album, it's the one where they put their true souls out, it's always been too underappreciated imho, but it's a personal opinion

frostbitepanda

Grrr...
Coldplayer
I think that GS is a decent album too, but I don't agree when you talk about X&Y being a bad album, it's the one where they put their true souls out, it's always been too underappreciated imho, but it's a personal opinion

Huh. Their true souls on X&Y? Can you explain a bit more as to why you think that? I'm just curious!

beastwars

Light reflection to fade
Coldplayer
Huh. Their true souls on X&Y? Can you explain a bit more as to why you think that? I'm just curious!
Lyrically speaking, it's the most introspective album they've made, with a large amount of existentials questions, anxiety, self-consciousness. It's the era in which they ask to themselves what they want to become, achieve in life, what they really are.
You can say that also in their previous albums they made something similar, but I think they never reached the level of uncertainty of X&Y songs

Draco

Broken Hearts Make it Rain
Coldplayer
On the face of it it's an obvious heartfelt love plea allegory that someone here on Earth shouldn't be just one shoe from what should be a pair, which all sounds very sweet.

Look into masonic signs for one or two shoes missing and what that means. Also google 'order out of chaos' (also in the song ofc).

Lots of other things about this band, particularly since MX came out - too much to list here. 3 is a very occult number so just look at the 3rd down line of the MX (which is a magickal symbol itself) cover. 'OTO'. Google that.

Sorry. I have far more evidence than this, but a fansite probably isn't the place to spill it, and I really don't mean to upset anyone, but sometimes the truth hurts alas.
I've seen some videos like that, not just the joke ones, talking about their affiliations and all the signs in their music. I'm not too fixated on the subject but when exactly is this mass new world government going to strike?

Last edited:

A Spell a Rebel Yell

Bigger Stronger
Coldplayer
I've seen some videos like that, not just the joke ones, talking about their affiliations and all the signs in their music. I'm not too fixated on the subject but when exactly is this mass new world government going to strike?
I haven't listened to Coldplay for years but just popped on here after hearing AICT. I think it's a great track and it was memorable for me after the first listen (despite the awful production). But it wears its inspirations very obviously on its sleeve - Pictures of You by The Cure, their own Atlas, the later piano from Clocks, much of the rhythm and energy from Yes (and the live version towards the end the live extended version of Yes). It's completely derivative, safe and nothing they didn't beat on VLV almost ten years ago, but pretty decent (awful mixing aside).

Spill the beans

Draco

Broken Hearts Make it Rain
Coldplayer
According to random conspiracies Coldplay are devil worshippers under the radar contributing to a mass globalized totalitarian system that is soon to emerge, and I'm still standing here looking at my watch waiting for something to happen. Those are some of the beans.

Every time some famous person makes an odd gesture it's automatically assumed it's because a demon probably told them

This belongs in the illuminati thread lmao.

LeftrightleftArchi

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
Just going to put out an unpopular opinion in hopes that an oldplayer will agree with me, at least in the slightest:

I think X&Y is the weakest Coldplay album not including A Head Full of Dreams. To me, the second half of the album gets a little bit bland imo. But Im not going to ignore the obviously fantastic moments on there (Square One, Talk, Speed of Sound, Fix You, Twisted Logic, etc). Its just that as a whole, you can tell it was rushed, and it kinda was when you read up on what the band say themselves. The production is a little bit muddy, even for an album from 2005. Like the band said, the album was a bit too long and the runtimes for some songs were a little long as well. There are just moments where I want the sound to really explode and, well, it just doesnt for me :/

I see X&Y as a record that had great ambitions (Space Rock influences and all), but was let down by improper production to get the job done. A L I E N S is an excellent example of what X&Y should've been. Perhaps Brian Eno should've collabed with the band much earlier...

Your guys' thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prospekt46

Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Just going to put out an unpopular opinion in hopes that an oldplayer will agree with me, at least in the slightest:

I think X&Y is the weakest Coldplay album not including A Head Full of Dreams. To me, the second half of the album gets a little bit bland imo. But Im not going to ignore the obviously fantastic moments on there (Square One, Talk, Speed of Sound, Fix You, Twisted Logic, etc). Its just that as a whole, you can tell it was rushed, and it kinda was when you read up on what the band say themselves. The production is a little bit muddy, even for an album from 2005. Like the band said, the album was a bit too long and the runtimes for some songs were a little long as well. There are just moments where I want the sound to really explode and, well, it just doesnt for me :/

I see X&Y as a record that had great ambitions (Space Rock influences and all), but was let down by improper production to get the job done. A L I E N S is an excellent example of what X&Y should've been. Perhaps Brian Eno should've collabed with the band much earlier...

Your guys' thoughts?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it has enough good tracks to pull ahead of GS and MX. What If isn't that good but it isn't ASFOS or Up In Flames.

A Spell a Rebel Yell

Bigger Stronger
Coldplayer

Your guys' thoughts?
Although I am aware that X&Y tends to be considered the weakest album out of the oldplay records, it holds a strong space in my heart. The spacey feeling and Chris's soothing and smooth voice all over the tracks just makes it really memorable for me, and even though I think AROBTTH is my favourite of their albums, X&Y gives me somewhat more nostalgia overall. Somehow, I do quite enjoy those "boring" moments as some may say, but it's the feeling and retrospection each songs brings to my life. And that also includes the B-sides! I ran away, things I don't understand, How you see the world, Gravity, etc. are simply classic Coldplay songs in my opinion which share that distinctive deep nostalgic space rock sound that satisfies my ears and insights to say the least haha. Although I love that raw sound Parachutes and AROBTTH brings, that perfectionist X&Y sound was the first album that I first convinced my best friend with that Coldplay was really good and I just remember us listening to the whole thing without skipping one song and telling ourselves after what an amazing record we had ourselves in our hands. Maybe I'm biased and letting my nostalgia take over, but songs like Swallowed in the sea, X&Y, Fix You, Speed, etc really makes it hard for me to think this could be their "weakest" one yet out of those. I guess it all comes to personal taste and memories related to it but I do get your point which I wouldn't say is least popular.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Just noting: I Ran Away is an AROBTTH B-side, not from X&Y.

I love X&Y. I agree that the album flow is not as good as the on AROBTTH, but I love its individual songs more than the ones on AROBTTH. It is both comforting/soothing and rousing/anthemic, and deals with both wonder at the world and insecurity over one's own place in it. I love the songs on X&Y and its B-sides.