O
All Your Friends
Ghost Story
Everglow

ColdplayingfromKansas

Official Viva Fangirl
Coldplayer
Here’s a question for you all...

Starting with Mylo Xyloto all the way to Kaleidoscope EP, what songs (if any) do you feel as though are representative of Coldplay’s true and traditional sound (or the sound all of us enjoy the most)?

I’ll start:

Atlas (talk about underrated songs!)
Major Minus
Moving to Mars
Oceans
Everglow (kinda iffy, just really like the song)
Aliens

Probably forgetting some, curious to hear what yours are!

I don't know if these are the most "Oldplay" ones or just the ones I like lol but here we go:

Atlas (did this come out before or after MX? I don't remember lol)
Major Minus
Moving to Mars
DLIBYH
Up with the Birds
Always in My Head
Midnight
Oceans
O
All Your Friends
Ghost Story
A Head Full of Dreams
AICTAIY
A L I E N S
Hypnotised

So, about 1.5 albums' worth out of the past 3.5 releases. So in these past releases, about 40% of the songs have been "good," in my opinion :p

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
that songs seems to get a lot of hate but it's one of the few newer ones that really moves me a lot on a deeper level.
Finally someone who agrees with me on Fun ! :)
That guitar riff at the beginning always hits me right in the guts, I like the imagery used in the lyrics and the melody/overall sound are good too.
I don't like Tove Lo as an artist but in all fairness on Fun her vocals are very subtle and fit perfectly ! All in all a very touching song.

dieselbenz

Up&Up
Coldplayer
That guitar riff at the beginning always hits me right in the guts, I like the imagery used in the lyrics and the melody/overall sound are good too.
I don't like Tove Lo as an artist but in all fairness on Fun her vocals are very subtle and fit perfectly ! All in all a very touching song.
Exactly, I think the sentiment is lovely and the melody gets it across just right. And it's definitely more the kind of collaboration I can enjoy ... the female harmonies are a nice touch and don't feel forced.

beastwars

Light reflection to fade
Coldplayer
It's because Jonny's guitar at the beginning embraces dreampop (just listen to groups like Cocteau Twins, The Sundays, Lush or Pure Bathing Culture to compaire). When I listened to AHFOD the first times Fun was the song I liked the most, but with the passing of time I got bored of it for its trviality. I think it's one of those songs that could have been very good if produced during the oldplay times.

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

antdrew

Never in a rush
Coldplayer
Probably been posted before but I have come across this, and it's pretty neat

Green Cap Man

COLDPLAY - PORTUGAL
Coldplayer
Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgzg50JtQNo

I know this song is pretty well known but it's also one of their masterpieces and shows Jonny's shoegaze influences. I really hope I see more of this in the future as i really like MBV and Slowdive.

PS: This is the funny thing about Coldplay, don't you agree? Each album is poppier than the one before, yet we all have hope that this changes.
Let's wait.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
PS: This is the funny thing about Coldplay, don't you agree? Each album is poppier than the one before, yet we all have hope that this changes.
Let's wait.
I agree BUT arguably Kaleidoscope EP was, after a long time, the first step in the right direction again. 3 great songs out of 5 - now this is a ratio I haven't seen in any of the post-2008 releases !!

Green Cap Man

COLDPLAY - PORTUGAL
Coldplayer
I agree BUT arguably Kaleidoscope EP was, after a long time, the first step in the right direction again. 3 great songs out of 5 - now this is a ratio I haven't seen in any of the post-2008 releases !!
That's very true. I was so happy with AICTAIY and ALIENS! It gave me some hope...

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
That's very true. I was so happy with AICTAIY and ALIENS! It gave me some hope...
For me, A L I E N S and Hypnotised are my two favourites. AICTAIY has an interesting concept but I feel the studio version fell a bit flat and didn't quite live up to the song's potential - the one the one hand deliberately muddy, blurry production and then on the other hand the live-sounding cues from Chris detract from it for me, and I think the epic piano bridge is a buried in synths that are too loud (live version had a much better mix).
But song-wise definitely one of the great 3 of Kaleidoscope EP !

dieselbenz

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I looked up one of the old Coldplay.com website designs from late 2010 for a school project and holy nostalgia Batman! I remember visiting the site every day hoping for a new Roadie #42 post. Note they still have a link for LRLRL :laughing:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100701063827/http://coldplay.com/
Man I'd totally forgotten the exhibition room thing and this look of the website. I remember well the VLV design, and the later layout when the deglo apocalypse began (kidding, sort of), but totally forgot this in-between one. It's funny how quickly looking at old web designs takes you back to something you'd totally forgotten. Thanks for the nostalgia I didn't know I needed!

Green Cap Man

COLDPLAY - PORTUGAL
Coldplayer
Did you liked Chris' speech at the end of the tour?
I liked the part of "this is the end of a chapter, from now on it'll be full of surprises", that really gives me some hope about the future, although it could be a bad surprise :p but let's not think of the worst case scenario...
On the other hand the "We're in this together! Anything is possible if you never give up. And if you believe in love!". I do like love and togetherness, but I'm getting a little tired of this bulls**t. Sorry if you don't agree with me, but that's just my opinion. Don't mean to offend anyone. I miss the "I don't give a fuck" Chris who just appears in the middle of the MTV EMA without his pants and Jonny goes Jazz and the Nappies and stuff like that. And you go to Super Bowl, where 90% of the public are men above his 40's and you sing about "Believing in Love".

And please bring back Brian Eno!

dieselbenz

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I liked the part of "this is the end of a chapter, from now on it'll be full of surprises", that really gives me some hope about the future, although it could be a bad surprise :p but let's not think of the worst case scenario...
On the other hand the "We're in this together! Anything is possible if you never give up. And if you believe in love!". I do like love and togetherness, but I'm getting a little tired of this bulls**t. Sorry if you don't agree with me, but that's just my opinion. Don't mean to offend anyone. I miss the "I don't give a fuck" Chris who just appears in the middle of the MTV EMA without his pants and Jonny goes Jazz and the Nappies and stuff like that. And you go to Super Bowl, where 90% of the public are men above his 40's and you sing about "Believing in Love".

I wouldn't go that far personally, because I love Chris's determination to see good in a garbage world, I guess because everyone else is so determined to be angry at everything. Sometimes it's been really refreshing. But I also get where you're coming from. There's a point where I look ahead at what I'm dealing with and what's ahead of me and what a failure my life is so far, and it's just insulting to be told anything is possible if I never give up, or that I can be the next Mohammed Ali or Ghandi if I believe in myself. On the other hand sometimes Chris has a way with words that does make me feel realistically hopeful, and feel like I'm a valued person, and I appreciate that. But yeah, the final speech made me feel more left behind. I wish I could feel the way about it as others who are so enthusiastic. Maybe I'm just sad about the feeling it's even more the end of something. When Chris said it's the end of a chapter, that hit me like a ton of bricks and not in a good way. They already seem so far from where we started, and like they want to put their early eras behind them, and it seems like now they want to get farther from it. Then again, I'm really down lately so maybe I'm just being overly negative and that's not what he meant at all (I mean let's face it, it might have just been a "Chrisism" lol). I didn't think I'd like the AHFOD era at all but I actually had some incredible times, plus 3/5 of the EP songs were brilliant, so maybe it will be OK. Maybe it will be better than OK. Maybe I should enjoy the possibility that it could be anything at this point, because you only get to not know for so long.

JM-42

Life is for Living
Coldplayer

Eh. I see your point but you have to understand Chris has a different mentality that he used to do back in those days and he probably won't act like he did a decade ago. He's always been a really nice and down to earth guy but I feel like he takes things less seriously and has embraced a very optimistic and positive approach of life. It has led to some really bland music mostly, but most of it sounds genuine. In the end they'll do what they want to do but I kinda envy the ones who keep believing in the band doing an album inspired by their roots/a return to the old sound. Like dieselbenz has said, they really seem to want to distance from the old sound.

dieselbenz

Up&Up
Coldplayer
He's always been a really nice and down to earth guy but I feel like he takes things less seriously and has embraced a very optimistic and positive approach of life. It has led to some really bland music mostly, but most of it sounds genuine.
Yeah if there's one thing I never question, it's that what he's espousing is genuine. I don't think that's changed. And honestly I think he's always had a sense of fun and playfulness, even when the music was darker. He seems to have just found a groove that works for him in the positivity thing. On some level it makes me smile. He's such a good soul and if he's found that peace, why wouldn't I want that for him? It's just that I'm smiling from another planet, because that is not the one I'm on.

Green Cap Man

COLDPLAY - PORTUGAL
Coldplayer
Chris has always been an optimistic guy. I like that. I really do. But mostly this era, it seems like he forces it too much. I mean, the majority of the songs this era were about happiness and togetherness and possibility (Up&Up, AHFOD, Miracles(SE), LiB, etc.) and i don't feel like it's really genuine and the reason he is like that, it's because it fits the "album theme". I mean, what king of guy breaks up from his wife of ten years, make a super sad album and a year after is saying "life is beautiful", "anything is possible if you believe in love"? He must be really optimistic because I wouldn't handle it very well, or recover only after a year...
That being said, I don't want Chris to be sad :p at all. It just feels... weird.

Carolina*

Up&Up
Coldplayer

The end of a chapter part really stuck with me since I'm going to college next year and it's like everything I've known my whole life is going to change yet I currently know nothing about what it might be, which is exactly what the future of the band is. Since they really became famous the year I was born, it's like Coldplay itself is entering the adult world too...it's like their first seven albums with their huge range of phases were childhood and now whatever they do will be adulthood.

Carolina*

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Chris has always been an optimistic guy. I like that. I really do. But mostly this era, it seems like he forces it too much. I mean, the majority of the songs this era were about happiness and togetherness and possibility (Up&Up, AHFOD, Miracles(SE), LiB, etc.) and i don't feel like it's really genuine and the reason he is like that, it's because it fits the "album theme". I mean, what king of guy breaks up from his wife of ten years, make a super sad album and a year after is saying "life is beautiful", "anything is possible if you believe in love"? He must be really optimistic because I wouldn't handle it very well, or recover only after a year...
That being said, I don't want Chris to be sad :p at all. It just feels... weird.
Yeah I keep wondering how it's possible to go from totally regretting something and focusing all your energy on it to being completely happy and in the present in such a short period of time. There has to be some moments when he misses the old days...