Welcome to Coldplaying!

The sun and the moon...Solar eclipse...1919...Coldplay? Discuss Coldplay's upcoming album and all the theories on Coldplaying! سلام و حب

SignUp Now!

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

H

howyousawtheworld

Do you all love See You Soon as much as I do?
I've had a few lumps in my throat when listening to it (the Live 2003 version) and may have shed a tear or two over it in some sad times. It is Chris Martin at his most melodic/melancholy best. Not one I play often though. It would be cruel to devalue it through endless repeats.

nvdmm

Oldplayer. Too Oldplay
Coldplayer
Right?? Square One is a great opener! Fix You is that special, emotional hit. Twisted Logic is a little preview of Viva and Kingdom Come is astounding
Do you all love See You Soon as much as I do?
See You Soon, Square One, Sleeping Sun etc all truly epic songs.

After AHFOD I try to not listen to anything pre-2008 because the sense of frustration is almost overwhelming. Unfortunately a lot of people on the forum can't fathom why and where this frustration comes from. Obviously I try to enjoy the songs but I'm now constantly reminded of what could have been, even though for the past few years I'v trained myself to accept what they've become. I think since MX the process of embracing each album and forcing yourself to like it just because it's by a band you once adored has become pretty exhaustive, exacerbating even! And it just doesn't work. I could tell myself a million times that AHFOD is a masterpiece and a genius attempt at creativity and experimentation to produce positive uplifting songs, but it just isn't. Same story with MX and GS. And for how long are you prepared to lie to yourself.

Naturally when you present any form of criticism on other threads, be it constructive or just emotional, members react aggressively by suggesting you should go fuck off and listen to something else. But what kind of argument is that?! If I didn't love and care deeply about the band why would I still be here? I'm here because I listen to Ghost Story and suddenly realize this band's strength knows no boundaries. I listen to Major Minus and am instantly reminded this band can create songs of epic proportion without trying to emulate their sound from earlier albums. I'm reminded that Coldplay CAN be Coldplay again...IF they chose to.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
After AHFOD I try to not listen to anything pre-2008 because the sense of frustration is almost overwhelming. Unfortunately a lot of people on the forum can't fathom why and where this frustration comes from. Obviously I try to enjoy the songs but I'm now constantly reminded of what could have been, even though for the past few years I'v trained myself to accept what they've become. I think since MX the process of embracing each album and forcing yourself to like it just because it's by a band you once adored has become pretty exhaustive, exacerbating even! And it just doesn't work. I could tell myself a million times that AHFOD is a masterpiece and a genius attempt at creativity and experimentation to produce positive uplifting songs, but it just isn't. Same story with MX and GS. And for how long are you prepared to lie to yourself.
Same for me. Sometimes I find myself listening to one of the better AHFOD songs like Birds or Fun and thinking "Well, it's not that bad after all !" But then the next time I listen to something from the pre-Parachutes, Parachutes, AROBTTH or X&Y Era the music touches me on an entirely different level and then I find myself thinking "No, nothing compares to this after all !"

B35

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Same for me. Sometimes I find myself listening to one of the better AHFOD songs like Birds or Fun and thinking "Well, it's not that bad after all !" But then the next time I listen to something from the pre-Parachutes, Parachutes, AROBTTH or X&Y Era the music touches me on an entirely different level and then I find myself thinking "No, nothing compares to this after all !"
The older music is on a different level. AHFOD is the type music you'd hear on the radio and think it's "not bad" but it's lacking depth and real quality.

I find the defending of it by Newplayers so strange, it's complete boyband fan like blind faith. I guess that's who's taken over Coldplays fanbase these days.

Interestingly looking on Wiki, AHFOD hasn't sold well over the first week, hopefully it'll drop out the charts quickly and it'll be a warning shot to Chris.

ColdplayingfromKansas

Official Viva Fangirl
Coldplayer
^ I believe it wound up debuting at #2, the first Coldplay album to miss out on the top spot! Granted, it lost out to that monster of an Adele album, but I can't help but think that an album the caliber of ARoBttH/X&Y/Viva could have beaten it out

waldaz

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Agree with the last few posts. If I try to listen to AHFOD again I even think it's not that bad, but it only lasts 2 songs, then HFTW starts and I just can but turn it off. I've tried, but it all sounds so... insignificant, the single especially. Nothing special, fake electronic instruments (even the claps on HFTW sound fake, lol).
Old Coldplay songs have the power to create from nothing a completely different atmosphere, almost ethereal, and bring you to another dimension, now I listen to the new songs and I just don't feel nothing at all.
It's not even a pop vs rock problem, I enjoy both genres without problems as long as it's good music. I'm not even that much of a rock fanatic, I'll take one of Coldplay old songs with their powerful melodies over a rock classic with a 1 minute mega-difficult guitar solo.

I think the reason of the frustration from many old fans is pretty obvious. And the evident contrast between what they were and what they've become obviously sparks debates. When I see people rating these new songs 9/10 or even 10 (!!!) for example I'm left puzzled. I mean, if you're a new fan who likes this type of music and don't know the earlier albums fair enough, not my cup of tea but each to their own. But if you learned to like Coldplay with masterpieces such as Politik or Trouble or AROBTHH, and put these last works on the same level, the only thing I can think of is... HOW?!

I genuinely think this same precise album could have been produced by some other random boyband, but apparently that's what they are now. Maybe they should also change name to Hotplay, as Cold is too sad. Personally I started looking for new bands on Spotify, because I think we're done here, sadly. At least for now.

Rant over, sorry.

ps: how I wish they published Moses!

Choldplayer

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
^ I believe it wound up debuting at #2, the first Coldplay album to miss out on the top spot! Granted, it lost out to that monster of an Adele album, but I can't help but think that an album the caliber of ARoBttH/X&Y/Viva could have beaten it out
Bit of a drop I think from GS which didn't even sell very well......
I don't think it will stick around in the charts either

[email protected]

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I watched the 360° studio video on coldplay's fb page a moment ago. I would smash the whole electrical equipment in there within seconds :D
"Here Will always stands, lately with his electrical drums" aaarrrrw! Fu* off

K

kmm1482

See You Soon, Square One, Sleeping Sun etc all truly epic songs.

Naturally when you present any form of criticism on other threads, be it constructive or just emotional, members react aggressively by suggesting you should go fuck off and listen to something else. But what kind of argument is that?! If I didn't love and care deeply about the band why would I still be here? I'm here because I listen to Ghost Story and suddenly realize this band's strength knows no boundaries. I listen to Major Minus and am instantly reminded this band can create songs of epic proportion without trying to emulate their sound from earlier albums. I'm reminded that Coldplay CAN be Coldplay again...IF they chose to.
All of the "Yes"s I can muster

H

howyousawtheworld

Agree with the last few posts. If I try to listen to AHFOD again I even think it's not that bad, but it only lasts 2 songs, then HFTW starts and I just can but turn it off. I've tried, but it all sounds so... insignificant, the single especially. Nothing special, fake electronic instruments (even the claps on HFTW sound fake, lol).
Old Coldplay songs have the power to create from nothing a completely different atmosphere, almost ethereal, and bring you to another dimension, now I listen to the new songs and I just don't feel nothing at all.
It's not even a pop vs rock problem, I enjoy both genres without problems as long as it's good music. I'm not even that much of a rock fanatic, I'll take one of Coldplay old songs with their powerful melodies over a rock classic with a 1 minute mega-difficult guitar solo.

I think the reason of the frustration from many old fans is pretty obvious. And the evident contrast between what they were and what they've become obviously sparks debates. When I see people rating these new songs 9/10 or even 10 (!!!) for example I'm left puzzled. I mean, if you're a new fan who likes this type of music and don't know the earlier albums fair enough, not my cup of tea but each to their own. But if you learned to like Coldplay with masterpieces such as Politik or Trouble or AROBTHH, and put these last works on the same level, the only thing I can think of is... HOW?!

I genuinely think this same precise album could have been produced by some other random boyband, but apparently that's what they are now. Maybe they should also change name to Hotplay, as Cold is too sad. Personally I started looking for new bands on Spotify, because I think we're done here, sadly. At least for now.

Rant over, sorry.

ps: how I wish they published Moses!
Yeah I noticed those hand claps as well. Beyond tacky. Stargate are to music what Hitler and Stalin were to global peace.