Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

Spider-Man

Running In The Dark
Coldplayer
I'd like to get your guys' opinion on something. It'll help if you're completely honest too, don't hold anything back; cause I'd really like to know. Do you think in time, MX, GS and AHFOD together or separately could reach the levels that P, AROBTTH, X&Y and Viva soared to? I mean, Yellow, Politik, Square One and strawberry Swing are classics. No doubt about it. It got me thinking, in 10 years time I'll bet songs like Paradise, Magic and Amazing Day will have aged gracefully and we could place them among the best of the best Coldplay tracks. I mean, think about it! The new album lyrics have a way of sticking with you. If they stick with you, they must be good right!?

On to production. I love the production of the first 4 albums. It's perfect, maybe a few duds here and there but for the most part it's solid. Stargate's production on AHFOD isn't all that bad. It really shines through on Up & Up where Chris' vocals take center stage. That song Up & Up is up(pun intended) there with Amsterdam in terms of raw energy, sound and production. If you listen to the masterpiece that is X Marks The Spot, you'll hear the clean production mkxed with the "boo-boo boom" of the lyrics. It makes it as catchy as a song as say In My Place right?

What do you think the live shows will be like? Supposedly the stage setup is shaped like a giant male sperm. If they bring out more props they could seriously make this tour the best yet! Do you guys think more is better? Or simplicity at its core is best? Since the band only plays between 20-21 songs now, it is safe to say that AHFOD will take center stage at the concert in terms of how many new songs they perform. In My Place hasn't been played since 2012, Politik since 2011. Maybe those songs need a rest and the band can pull out some of that newer material to play. That way they can connect with the audience better.

Just some food for thought. Sorry for the long post guys! tl:dr= I love this thread! Can't wait to hear your opinions on this.

K

kmm1482

I'd like to get your guys' opinion on something. It'll help if you're completely honest too, don't hold anything back; cause I'd really like to know. Do you think in time, MX, GS and AHFOD together or separately could reach the levels that P, AROBTTH, X&Y and Viva soared to? I mean, Yellow, Politik, Square One and strawberry Swing are classics. No doubt about it. It got me thinking, in 10 years time I'll bet songs like Paradise, Magic and Amazing Day will have aged gracefully and we could place them among the best of the best Coldplay tracks. I mean, think about it! The new album lyrics have a way of sticking with you. If they stick with you, they must be good right!?

On to production. I love the production of the first 4 albums. It's perfect, maybe a few duds here and there but for the most part it's solid. Stargate's production on AHFOD isn't all that bad. It really shines through on Up & Up where Chris' vocals take center stage. That song Up & Up is up(pun intended) there with Amsterdam in terms of raw energy, sound and production. If you listen to the masterpiece that is X Marks The Spot, you'll hear the clean production mkxed with the "boo-boo boom" of the lyrics. It makes it as catchy as a song as say In My Place right?

What do you think the live shows will be like? Supposedly the stage setup is shaped like a giant male sperm. If they bring out more props they could seriously make this tour the best yet! Do you guys think more is better? Or simplicity at its core is best? Since the band only plays between 20-21 songs now, it is safe to say that AHFOD will take center stage at the concert in terms of how many new songs they perform. In My Place hasn't been played since 2012, Politik since 2011. Maybe those songs need a rest and the band can pull out some of that newer material to play. That way they can connect with the audience better.

Just some food for thought. Sorry for the long post guys! tl:dr= I love this thread! Can't wait to hear your opinions on this.
Honestly, no. Coldplay were a new voice were, at the time, a softer Radiohead and more of a mainstream Jeff Buckley. They were different, some would argue they weren't, but I really don't remember hearing ANYthing quite like what they were putting out back then. The past few albums, that sound gets lost in mix nowadays. They've aligned their sound to excepted by hip-hop, Top 40 crowd, even using a proven hitmaker that Rihanna uses! I think 10 years from now, that produced sound will still be around and we'll struggling to remember what Everglow or Ink sounds like. But say Clocks, Yellow or even Daylight and I can instantly hear it in my head

LeftrightleftArchi

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer

Amazing Day is probably the most graceful instrumental on AHFOD. The lyrics, not so much. The way Chris sings on it, maybe...
Paradise is a good song. It has potential to become a classic. Well, magic, I'm not so sure. It's so simple. @SprayCanSoulGuy's version of Magic made the song so much more incredible. If his version was the official, then yes.
XMTS is catchy, yes. But it doesn't mean it's a good track. The instrumentation and beat is somewhat good. The lyrics, though, do sound like they were made in 10 minutes. If more time was taken to perfect the track, then it could have actually been decent.
Now for the albums:
Mylo Xyloto actually has some really good songs. HLH had a well deserved win on the MX elimination game. Paradise, as I said before, is a really good song with potential to be a classic. Charlie Brown has good lyrics and good instrumentation. There's virtually nothing wrong with it (to me). Us Against The World could be toned a bit down on production and a little more effort in lyrics, but overall a good song. ETIAW is good. Great choice as a first single. Major Minus is, wow! A great song for Oldplayers. So glad it's on the album. It shows CP doing a different type of genre. Lyrics on UFO aren't the best, but still leaves it as an OK song. Now here's the bad part. Princess Of China. It's production is terribly overproduced. It ruins a great song. Chris' vocals could have been used with a little more range and effort. I actually don't mind Rihanna. She is a great vocalist, regardless of her reputation as a pop artist. Now onto Up In Flames. It's a good song ruined by overproduction. Lyrics could have also used a little more effort. It's a bit repetitive as well. DLIBYH, another song ruined by overproduction. But, it's the song on the album that has been affected the most by production. Up With The Birds is a great final track. The beginning is a little boring, but the second half of the song makes it one of the best Coldplay closers IMO. In conclusion, MX is a great album ruined by overproduction in general and I think they should have combined the interludes with their companion tracks, included MTM on the album, and take more care into production.
Ghost Stories is actually a really good ambient-style album, INSTRUMENTALLY. But, the lyrics are poor, especially ASFOS, which was ruined by repetitive verses and EDM. I also think that Midnight was a lazy move. The track is basically Chris' vocals and a Hopkins track from like 10 years ago. No originality there. I think that this was an opportunity for the band to experiment and try to make their own track like Hopkins. There are more weak points, but I won't state them individually. But, @SprayCanSoul makes the album into an artistic masterpiece. He fixed many of the weak points of the album. His version of Another's Arm is just incredible. In conclusion, Ghost Stories is an incredibly breathtaking album ruined by poor and repetitive lyrics.
A Head Full Of Dreams in just Pop Garbage. It's a bad example of the band trying to experiment. There are some good points (Ex. Title Track, Birds, the DRUM BEAT of Army Of One, Amazing Day INSTRUMENTALLY, and Up&Up, except the latter is ruined by Stargate's shitty production. It sounds like after they completed AHFOD and Birds, they decided to experiment with Pop a little more and ultimately failed. In conclusion, this is yet another album ruined by poor (but somewhat better than GS) lyrics and shitty production. The band's terrible effort to stay relevant with today's music (HFTW and Fun) as well as their terrible effort to get out of their comfort zone (XMTS) just ruined what could have been a great album. IMO, if they stuck with the theme of the title track and Birds, it could have been another AROBTTH.
Now, about the live shows, it's the only major thing that has improved from Oldplay. This is most likely because of technology advances and the basic fact that the band has more money.

SprayCanSoulGuy

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
[QUOTE="Archiderp, post: 5790277, member: 100974"@SprayCanSoulGuy's version of Magic made the song so much more incredible. If his version was the official, then yes.

@SprayCanSoul makes the album into an artistic masterpiece. He fixed many of the weak points of the album. His version of Another's Arm is just incredible. In conclusion, Ghost Stories is an incredibly breathtaking album ruined by poor and repetitive lyrics.
A Head Full Of Dreams in just Pop Garbage. [/QUOTE]
Holy cow, those words about my GS project got to me! Thank you so, so much! [emoji1]

Good review btw. I missed those in other threads.

SprayCanSoulGuy

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
[QUOTE="Archiderp, post: 5790277, member: 100974]"@SprayCanSoulGuy's version of Magic made the song so much more incredible. If his version was the official, then yes.

@SprayCanSoul makes the album into an artistic masterpiece. He fixed many of the weak points of the album. His version of Another's Arm is just incredible. In conclusion, Ghost Stories is an incredibly breathtaking album ruined by poor and repetitive lyrics.
A Head Full Of Dreams in just Pop Garbage.
Holy cow, those words about my GS project got to me! Thank you so, so much! [emoji1]

Good review btw. I missed those in other threads.[/QUOTE]

gentleparachute

Up&Up
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Now, about the live shows, it's the only major thing that has improved from Oldplay. This is most likely because of technology advances and the basic fact that the band has more money.
Don't you think that they have also improved a lot as live performers as well?

Btw, I do agree with the sentiments expressed in the rest of your earlier post, particularly your comments on the individual songs... Sharply observed (although quite cutting too :p).

Jaytheblue

Another Human Speciman
Coldplayer
I think no matter how "crappy" the albums become Coldplay will still be something special live

Mrk

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
Coldplayer
Why all this unnecessary drama in this thread?

LeftrightleftArchi

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
Don't you think that they have also improved a lot as live performers as well?

Btw, I do agree with the sentiments expressed in the rest of your earlier post, particularly your comments on the individual songs... Sharply observed (although quite cutting too :p).
Yes, now that I think about it, yes very much so! Clocks live is so much better than the studio. Paradise as well. The piano parts on those two songs have been improved greatly in their 2012-present performances. Gosh, if only these performances remind the band of how good rock still is.

ColdplayingfromKansas

Official Viva Fangirl
Coldplayer
Others have touched on their reasoning for why/why not these last three albums will be regarded as classics, so I'll just say something brief about their live performances.

I have yet to go to a Coldplay concert (unfortunately), but it seems to me that if the guys come out with a 100% loud, bright, and booming performance, it's not going to be as good of an effort as one that's mixed in with a few slower moments. Chris seems to be hinting at the former of these (saying they finally have a setlist with no duds), and I worry that such performances will be nothing more than gigantic 90-minute walls of light and sound. That works great if done correctly, but you can't go doing that all the time. Some songs you just need the guys and some spotlights (think See You Soon on the Live 2003 DVD, very simple, very elegant, and very emotional).

Hopefully these new stage additions will address that and let the guys keep some of their slower moments intact while maintaining the pacing and energy given by the "big" songs.

Why all this unnecessary drama in this thread?
MARK! :awesome:

gentleparachute

Up&Up
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
^ I think they would be wise enough to include some acoustic segments... After all, that's what the B stage is about :)

prospekt46

"Nu-Sensitive music, that's bollocks though"
Coldplayer
Charity Donator

Maybe a few songs. I have no problems with Always In My Head, it's actually probably towards the top of my list. Most of them however, no.

Spider-Man

Running In The Dark
Coldplayer
Interesting opinions guys. Always good to hear people speak their minds.. Even if we don't all agree haha. Oh and bgw, some of that stuff I said, I didn't really mean it. Half joking half serious. But in all seriousness, great in depth analysis.